Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Shell Tanker coming?

It'll be under the Lindberg label, just like the last umpteen versions of the L700. 

http://round2models.com/models/lindberg/dodge-l700-shell-tanke

I do see a Shell Tanker under the AMT lable, too, #AMT918.  If I had to guess on that one, I'd say it's the Texaco Tanker with new decals, but I don't know for sure.  I can guarantee it's not new tooling, though.

Edited by Brett Barrow
added info

I do see a Shell Tanker under the AMT lable, too, #AMT918.  If I had to guess on that one, I'd say it's the Texaco Tanker with new decals, but I don't know for sure.  I can guarantee it's not new tooling, though.

Looks like it'll be the same 'ol tanker trailer, this time with Shell decals:

AMT918ShellTanker.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The kit represents a 1968-70 Fruehauf.  The type of tank was built into the 80s, but the full round body was not that common.  I have only seen 2 of this configuration in person, the rest have been oval shaped (true elliptical).

This release of the kit has the tank halves re-tooled to eliminate the warped parts.  The original tool was from 1970 and had worn out.

The decals include red stripe options for the tank body and the tractor (Peterbilt 352, but could work with others).

Attached pics:   Box and decals;  Box side;  Partially assembled new-release;  Instruction sheet paint guide;  modified build with additional axles and Moebius wheels and modified tank body for a Michigan Special style tanker;  Modified tank body (wider) and resin 2-hole wheels from KFS.   

Tim

Shell Tanker Montage 83115.jpg

Shell tanker side 83115.jpg

P1500201 edit.jpg

P1500199 edit.jpg

Five AMT view 82814.jpg

Two AMT View Too 82814.jpg

Thanks Tim! I wondered why the box art and decals were changed. I really liked the red/yellow striping combination in the original. A few more questions:

Was this tanker used in a specific geographic area or all over the country?

Up until when were these commonly in service on the roads?

Does anybody have pictures of Shell tankers from the era?

Thanks.

The kit represents a 1968-70 Fruehauf.  The type of tank was built into the 80s, but the full round body was not that common.  I have only seen 2 of this configuration in person, the rest have been oval shaped (true elliptical).

This release of the kit has the tank halves re-tooled to eliminate the warped parts.  The original tool was from 1970 and had worn out.

The decals include red stripe options for the tank body and the tractor (Peterbilt 352, but could work with others).

Attached pics:   Box and decals;  Box side;  Partially assembled new-release;  Instruction sheet paint guide;  modified build with additional axles and Moebius wheels and modified tank body for a Michigan Special style tanker;  Modified tank body (wider) and resin 2-hole wheels from KFS.   

Tim

Shell Tanker Montage 83115.jpg

Shell tanker side 83115.jpg

P1500201 edit.jpg

P1500199 edit.jpg

Five AMT view 82814.jpg

Two AMT View Too 82814.jpg

I think Just saw the skelly tanker in st. Ignace last weekend. Good looking Michigan setup 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the 2011 reissue of the plated Texaco tanker. I trade off the Texaco decal set for an AMOCO decal set. It is waiting for my skillset to get better so I can make a decked out "Bling" truck paired with the Australian KW in Testors Start Spangled Blue lacquer.

• 2 years later...