Model Cars Magazine Forum

Concerning the NHRA TV lineup

I love all of it. Always will. I've never been a NASCAR fan, never will. Im with Chris as well, add Pro Mod. Even if its a partial season like P/M. ESPN has something to do with the ratings on TV. When they keep shoving the drags off to continue the live coverage of midget billiards or high school ping pong or whatever BS sport that's on before them really pisses me off. Then they schedule them late on a sunday. I drive truck, I leave around midnight. Which means I can't watch it, and there are 8 other drivers at my company that love drag racing and can't watch. I hope with Fox Sports they can bring the ratings up. Give the drags a decent time slot, like 5pm not 8pm. I know production and editing would have to be done while most races are happening, or show them live like the roundy round cars.

Clayton... you know what ticked me off all the time was that it would show that drag racing would come on at a certain time and all the time it would never start on time because of softball or little league or some other event.  I was glad that I have it on record but I have to extend the time because i know it never starts on time.

Hot off the presses.....(do they still use presses???)

http://www.nhra.com/story/2015/7/25/pro-stock-changes/

WOW!!! Be careful what you wish for, HUH??? I'll bet Jason Line and Greg Anderson are having hissy fits over that news. In the meanwhile, other teams will look at this as a wonderful opportunity to innovate. What a unique cconcept. Approach change with a positive attitude and anything is possible. Can't wait for the show tonite. Sweet.

Joe... I have to say that I am tired of seeing the summit boys always winning... just my 2 cents... lol

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about NHRA going to Fox Sports 1 next season, I'm not happy about that.....even though ESPN2 has its own problems with its coverage. I guess it doesn't matter because I don't have cable or satellite to watch it on TV anymore. 

I think overall its going to be better in the long for the NHRA moving over the Fox Sports twins,  ESPN cares less about anything on four wheels, the only issue could be that Fox Sports 1 is in10 million less homes than ESPN is.  Or I could be wrong and moving to Fox Sports could be bad.

On a related side note, it was reported that Disney is forcing ESPN to cut 250million dollars from its budget by 2017,  and here we have the NHRA leaving

The biggest problem I have with the change is I hate to watch or support Fox networks in any way, shape, or form. I'm not saying the actual coverage will be better or worse, ESPN has some issues with their coverage but I don't have the same issues with their network or ownership.

Fair enough.

The pro stock class, for about the last 20 years or so, has been dominated by one team each season or seasons. Remember a guy named Ron Krisher, how long did his car dominate the class, Jim Yates how about him or Warren Johnson, now the last 10 years or so it's been KB racing. I like the idea of these changes and hope it goes as planned. My love for the sport is great and want the sport to succeed. It's been a few years now, but I would go to 2 or 3 races a year. Pomona, Vegas or Phoenix. I can only hope that Fox does a better job, like more live races than just 1 and not putting off the start for some BS, non important sport. I hope I can sit and watch the races with my son as I did with my dad. I remember watching the race where Darrell Russell lost his life, Eric Medelens last race, Scott Kallita, or how's this, watching Kenny Bernstein break 300 mph and Tony Schumacher make racing history when he qualified #1, set a national record, won the race and the championship, all on sunday, with my dad. I know new history will be made. I hope my son and I are there watching. Now, back to the thread topic. Pro Mod being added is the best choice, even if it's limited or a shorter PM schedule. I enjoy watching the bikes, I go walk around during the sportsman stuff usually. It's not a big deal as I participate in some of the street legal stuff around my area, Irwindale, till that tracks gone, Fontana and occasionally Bakersfield.  

Hot off the presses.....(do they still use presses???)

http://www.nhra.com/story/2015/7/25/pro-stock-changes/

I wonder how long this has been brewing. For them to act this quickly, a week, it's must have been since the "exotic" metals were found in KB racings engines. They just now figured it was time to honor the history of the class. My shop teacher in high school was divisional racer, did pretty well. He got offered a Pro Stock ride, but it was at the beginning of the tube chassis rule and the guy that offered him the ride backed out. The Pro Stock class is gonna be the NASCAR of NHRA. A drivers class, which I like. Basically, identical cars, heads up racing. I'm looking forward to next season.

So, the first thing Greg Anderson did was complain about the money. Don't bother Greg, it's the same for everybody.

The first thing Larry Morgan said started out, "What I like about this is....." See the difference?

I also want to say that as far as my personal beliefs are concerned, I'd rather have The Cartoon Network or The Comedy Channel covering races as opposed to Fox. Maybe even The Oprah Network.

However, I can never recall Fox's beliefs and policies creep into NASCAR or NFL coverage, so it's probably a good thing. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

Finally, another thanks to all of you for keeping what could be a volatile subject low key and high IQ. You peoples rock.

Well, you did bring Oprah in it kinda. LOL.

I know what you mean about Fox. I don't think they could do any worse than ESPN. Like a few said earlier, I liked the PS Trucks. I wanted them to be equal to the cars and run together. But, they didn't take off like they had hoped. The trucks should have big blocks, not small blocks, and competed against the cars. I think that woulda really done PS some good. But that's just my observation on the truck comment.

So, the first thing Greg Anderson did was complain about the money. Don't bother Greg, it's the same for everybody.

The first thing Larry Morgan said started out, "What I like about this is....." See the difference?

I also want to say that as far as my personal beliefs are concerned, I'd rather have The Cartoon Network or The Comedy Channel covering races as opposed to Fox. Maybe even The Oprah Network.

However, I can never recall Fox's beliefs and policies creep into NASCAR or NFL coverage, so it's probably a good thing. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

Finally, another thanks t

o all of you for keeping what could be a volatile subject low key and high IQ. You peoples rock.

Strange difference between Greg and Larry. Greg is basically a hired driver, Larry owns his own team, hmmmm. You can see who will benefit most from the changes.

I agree that Fox doesn't let their network view creep into their sports coverage, but I still don't like to give them the ratings. I have and sometimes still do watch their Nascar coverage but I'd prefer if it was somewhere else. Besides, with NBC taking over now I get to see/hear Kyle Petty who has always been my favorite on and off the track. 

If everything goes well I should be in Indy again this year (I go on Friday to see the Hemi Shootout and pro qualifying). I befriended Larry a few years back when he was driving a Dodge, I'm going to see if I can talk to him or Allen Johnson about the changes.

One more thing, GO Allen today in Denver !!! Wish I had been back home in Chicago to see him win there a couple weeks ago. 

I'm.happy about the new Pro Stock rules. The throttle body will add power and the lack of that hood scoop, which requires 60hp to push through the air, will help on top end. I'm willing to bet a 3 mph increase. I'm sure they will run some sort of cowl induction.

Congratz to Larry Morgan. I would have been just as happy if AJ had won. Best burndown in the lights since Warren Johnson and Scott Geoffrion. While visibly upset with himself, Allen took it like a man. Back in the day, WJ acted like he didn't get his milk and graham crackers before his nap. I love that Steve Evans called him out saying, "You could have staged too." Waaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Let's see what Sonoma brings. It's only procedural changes but somebody will have something to say. Cars must be backed into the pits and engines uncovered for all to see and no crew assistance on burnouts.

Somebody tell Greg Anderson that the NHRA will be thrilled to listen to him before they ignore him.

Man, you brought back some memories, brining up Scott and Steve. Steve Evans was the best announcer and here are a few more names. Buster Couch, the starter ever, no BS with that guy. Jackie Beck, Ms Winston. I sure miss them.days.

I remember those days too, when Alderman/Geoffrion would get in staging duels with WJ and Buster would just pull up a chair and let them go at it

Finally, another thanks to all of you for keeping what could be a volatile subject low key and high IQ. You peoples rock.

Maybe not a particular network's beliefs and policies, but having NASCAR yellow-flag laps count as competition laps due to network priorities fits in that category.  Can't cut into the sponsor's time.  Kinda like the "Heidi"/NFL situation many moons ago.

Remember when "Wide World of Sports" presented ALL sorts of auto racing?  Granted, it wasn't live, but it sure was neat to watch.  Then again, I was just a kid... :D

One more thing: Bring back the quarter-mile !!!  Enough of this "Oooooh, it's too fast!!!" crybaby stuff.  There's always the chance to get hit by that bus, but buses still run every day, all over the world.  How many people actually DO get hit by a bus when crossing the street?

Edited by johnbuzzed

Well I would be happy to be able to see any NHRA racing on TV...but nothing is available for us over here, ESPN America broadcasted the races the day after it was run but they stopped airing that channel over Europe a couple of years ago...so live streaming on the internet is the only way for me to be able to see anything nowadays.
But I miss the good old days with Dave McClelland and Steve Evans...best drag racing announsers ever in my opinion...I have all the 1986-1999 "Year In Review"  VHS tape Diamond P made (been a big John Force fan ever since) and the "Year In Review" and other DVD's NHRA later made and the ones narrated by McClelland/Evans are the best.
For many many years it was the only way for us over here to be able to see moving pictures of NHRA drag racing.

Edited by Force

It's the whole illegal street racing thing that NHRA is against. That was the whole point when Wally Parks founded the NHRA and the SCTA. It was to get people on to the track and off the streets. I have not, and will not watch any episode of street outlaws. Too many people die doing what they are supposedly doing and promoting. That whole show is fake. I don't care who this pisses off. I'm a firm believer in racing on a track, with safety and responsibilty. The way i see it, if dumb enough to race on the street, you shouldnt be driving. You are a risk, hazard and a threat to the lives of the public. I've been racing the NHRA street legal stuff for over 15 years and will NEVER race my car on any street. My Camaro is street legal, it was my daily driver for a few years after high school. Every once in awhile some hockey puck would try to get me to race them and I never did. If you find that show entertaining, power to ya. I DO NOT! I will continue to support the NHRA and all the sactioning bodies that promote racing on a track.

Edited by Petetrucker07

It's the whole illegal street racing thing that NHRA is against. That was the whole point when Wally Parks founded the NHRA and the SCTA. It was to get people on to the track and off the streets. I have not, and will not watch any episode of street outlaws. Too many people die doing what they are supposedly doing and promoting. That whole show is fake. I don't care who this pisses off. I'm a firm believer in racing on a track, with safety and responsibilty. The way i see it, if dumb enough to race on the street, you shouldnt be driving. You are a risk, hazard and a threat to the lives of the public. I've been racing the NHRA street legal stuff for over 15 years and will NEVER race my car on any street. My Camaro is street legal, it was my daily driver for a few years after high school. Every once in awhile some hockey puck would try to get me to race them and I never did. If you find that show entertaining, power to ya. I DO NOT! I will continue to support the NHRA and all the sactioning bodies that promote racing on a track.

i could care less where theyre racing Grudge racing is more entertaining than that sanctioned BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH espn and nhra is shoving down people throats

i could care less where theyre racing Grudge racing is more entertaining than that sanctioned BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH espn and nhra is shoving down people throats

Yup, people love a good competition between two angry parties (Even if the anger is fake like it usually is). For example look at how many people are getting riled up for the "Build off" between Gas Monkey Garage and RoadKill. Both sides have intentionally called each other names to drum up a crowd.

If NHRA was truely interested in getting racing on the tracks, maybe do something to make drag racing more accessable.  More tracks, more open days at said tracks, maybe make things more affordable.  For me, Route 66 is the closest of the three at what Google claims is only a 45 minute drive, why not set up something like take over a local street or runway with the help of the the towns/countys/LEOs like they did back in the  early days..........or like Discovery/Street Outlaws currently does.

Yup, people love a good competition between two angry parties (Even if the anger is fake like it usually is). For example look at how many people are getting riled up for the "Build off" between Gas Monkey Garage and RoadKill. Both sides have intentionally called each other names to drum up a crowd.

I'm more interested in seeing a RoadKill and Mighty Car Mods teamup.

Mighty Car Mods are way better than either Roadkill or Gas Monkey in my opinion because I find them more relatable,but hands down my favorite sort of automotive programming has to be Regular Car Reviews. Between the knowledge and humor in each review I never feel like I've wasted time enjoying one of their videos....

NHRA does not build tracks. They are a sactioning body with rules and saftey to make racing safe. NHRA is much more than what is seen on TV with the pro catagories. If people are only gonna comment on what they see on TV, I'd consider that very ignorant. You want to a little thing called Google. Search the divisional races, search SCEDA, or NMCA,  or any of the others that put on safe races, that are in no way shoving anything in your face but safety. If safety isn't your thing, then fine. But I'm gonna do what I want to do, safely. I'm not ever gonna risk the public or my own life, PERIOD!