Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just an offer

GaryR

If you want a suspended rear I'd go with coil over shocks ala Logghe funny car style.

Not many FA's used any suspension, but i'd do that if you want a late 60's look.

For mid 60's semi elliptical leaf springs might work.

Almost all fuel altereds used a solid rear though.

Same with funny cars. I can't think of any 70's FC's with a suspended rear, and if it was , I'm sure it would be coil overs.

What did you have in mind?

Edited by GaryR
spelling

I've looked at several dozen pics of altereds and am not finding suspended rear ends. Same for 70's FC's. Sorry!

Here's a couple pics of modern coil over setups for Pro Street and a sand dragster.

The thing is, fuel altereds and funny cars are high horsepower cars that hook up much better with solid mount rears, the big low pressure slicks also act as suspension of sorts.

First modern solid mount, then coil overs. They are 4 links.

altered_rear.jpg

06150.JPG

ebay407879.jpg

willys02.jpg

Edited by GaryR
add text

Gary, on the "Pure Heaven" car, this is the 1st time I've seen a FireEx by the motor!  Thanks too for clearing the Fire System activation deal up.  Very good fuel system pics!  No more questions needed, they show it all.

By the way, the captions are a hit!  Burkholder Bros. didn't scrimp anywhere visible.  Yet the car was only a $5000 investment.  Amazing how times change.  I remember my sister was looking in 1967 at a 67 Corvette.  Price was $5300 on the list.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Gary, our entries crossed last time.

Great pics!

Question:  Pics of the Davis&Ingram car, Jewel T, is from what I've found scarce.  That car was one of the few to have a suspended rear end.  Do you have anything on the Jewel T?

This is my next build.  The 3rd of my Fuel Altered "Trio Infernale".

I do, but this thread on the HAMB pretty much covers the car, little said about the rear suspension though. I'd suspect that since the car was built in 1967 it had Logghe type coil overs. I believe Ron Ellis also had a coil over AA/A.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/davis-ingram-jewel-t-aa-altered-lotsa-pics.284497/

I'll look at the link.  The info I have is from there.  Interesting too a few anecdotes about that team.  Ingrams' daughter was even active there on the forum, about their car.

The Jewel T as I understand was one of the few top teams that had a suspended rear axle setup, plus the car would start on it's own which won him a few races due to various starting line shenanigans from opponents.

The car ran 7's too, on gas.

Michael

Zippo on the Cosmic Charger! I've never seen a crank driven 426 late model hemi, most crank driven blowers were used on early 392's, Chevy's, Olds etc in the 1950's to very early 60's.

Belt driven, manifold mounted blowers work way better than the crank mounted. For one think, the crank mounts cannot be overdriven, that's basically the point of a supercharger. Top mounted blowers can be under driven. crank speed or overdriven by changing pulleys. I don't think a manifold was ever produced for the 426. Time to improvise.

Thanks for your time with this Gary. The pic will help. I also have another streamliner project with a front mount Olds. So its a win-win for me.  Looking at the parts in the CC kit, they look a lot like the blower parts from the Galloping Ghost show car Casper did. The brochure in the box says that Casper helped with the addition of the new parts in the kit. Makes me wonder if he used the same blower parts in the CC and GG. If only I could find out of they were chrome in the CC, I would be set.  

Thanks again for your efforts.Very much appreciated!

Scott