Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just an offer

GaryR

Hi guys, new to this form, but not to racing. Attended my first in 1965 ( 12 years old) to see The Snake in The Hawaiian.

I have hundreds of pics for reference or inspiration.Lot's of detail stuff. If you have requests or questions as to scale or real drag racing, bring it on!

And have fun building!                                                        

Now here's a RACE car! The one and only 430 inch Lincoln Gizzle Hopper!

IMG_2244.jpg

Edited by GaryR
add text

Welcome Gary.... This is an awesome group of guys we got here. Many talented builders that's for sure.

Since you have offered you wouldn't happen to have an pics of any Top Alcohol Dragsters from the Mid 70's to Mid 80's would you. I am specifically looking for pics of the San Paolo Brothers Spaghetti Bender driven by Steve San Paolo. I grew up on that team with my dad being part of the pit crew and I am trying to locate more pics of it. This car was driven all over California. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

Chris, not offhand. I can ask around. I absolutely remember them REALLY hard runners. I believe I recall them taking a hard left into the wall a Pomona one year and....

bending the car. Let me work on it. ASK AWAY GUYS! I don't know everything or have everything, but I'll try! Thanks!

Here's one I have, NOT taken by me though! I'll keep looking!

SteveSanPaoloonawheelsuplaunchintheSpaghettiBendersalcoholdragster_zpsc3a65272.jpg

Chris, not offhand. I can ask around. I absolutely remember them REALLY hard runners. I believe I recall them taking a hard left into the wall a Pomona one year and....

bending the car. Let me work on it. ASK AWAY GUYS! I don't know everything or have everything, but I'll try! Thanks!

Here's one I have, NOT taken by me though! I'll keep looking!

SteveSanPaoloonawheelsuplaunchintheSpaghettiBendersalcoholdragster_zpsc3a65272.jpg

Gary... Thank you so much. I appreciate you looking around. I do have some pics from my parents and have found a few others around searching but I am always look for more. I actually talk to Steve and his wife from time to time and they have send me a few shots as well but I am looking for as much reference of it as possible since I will be doing builds of a few of the different versions that I remember as a kid when I was around them.

Welcome to the Forum Gary. Great Pics you've got there. The only time I got to see the Showboat was when Tommy Ivo and I were LOTS younger. It was from the "Cheap Seats" at the San Fernando Dragstrip (the cheap seats were the Foothill Blvd bridge at the East end of the Strip..

Welcome to the forum, (we must be about the same age).  '64 was around the first year I got to tag along to the Drags, mostly local stuff like the Strips here in western Washington.  

i used to Tag along with my Uncles for the price of being their parts washer, cleaner, sander, sweeper and any other dirty job they didn't want to do!  Well worth the price of admission in my book! 

Welcome, Welcome Gary,

Indeed, absolutely fantastic pictures!

I don't even know what to ask about, 

other than to "PLEAD" that You post any and all that You can!!

Very interesting "Grizzle" pic and the SWC SUPERB!!!!

Thank You for sharing and again Welcome to the board!

Later

Russ

;)

Welcome to the forum, (we must be about the same age).  '64 was around the first year I got to tag along to the Drags, mostly local stuff like the Strips here in western Washington.  

i used to Tag along with my Uncles for the price of being their parts washer, cleaner, sander, sweeper and any other dirty job they didn't want to do!  Well worth the price of admission in my book! 

That would mean Arlington? Pilly-ooop!  Puyallup ? Kent

Jerry Ruth, Hank Westmoreland , Dave Grassi, Walt Austin? Earl Paoge? Dick Kalivoda?

GREAT NORTWEST RACING!
Here's Dick Wilson's transition era 66 GTO funny car at Pacfic Dragways ( I think).I grew up a blower pop away in Oregon , Woodburn. This car has been found as being restored,

dicklewisvi.jpg

baney.jpg

Ooops, the Baney/ Snake car got in there! Here's a shot of Pure Heaven, thanks for looking!

pure heaven.jpg

Edited by GaryR
add text

Puyallup, Bremerton, Kent, Arlington a few times.  In addition to the names you mentioned we got to meet guys like Ed "The Ace" McCulloch before the Ace, Herm Petersen, Jim Green - Green Elephant F/C, Gene Berg who ran VW Gassers, major VW performance innovator, Walt and Bucky Austin, Lee Beard before his Crew Cheif days...  Bremerton, Kent which became known as Seattle International Raceway now Pacific Raceways are really the only two active Drag Strips in Western Washington.  Wish the good old days were back, Drag Racing was so much up close and all around fun for both the Racers and the fans alike.   Too bad things had to get so corporate that it just became a side show at the national level, it's still much the same at the regional and local levels.

Edited by Skip

Howdy, Brad and Chris

I took a quick look for the Spaghetti Bender restoration article. I have lots of boxes of magazines, so it is not as simple as I thought. With that said, I did do an internet search and found some pics of the same car. It looks like its the company that did the restoration. Can't get a better source than that. 

Here is the link.

http://www.precisionstreetrodsandmachines.com/Photo-Albums--1957-1966-.html

If I have the time to sift through the boxes, i'll post in the reference section.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Hi Gary,

Yep, thanks for posting pics of cars we don't see here too often, like FE Dragsters and also the Pure Heaven Altered close up pic.  I for one am a big Fuel Altered fan, and I appreciate the closeup pics not readily found on the web.  I'd be grateful for an interior shot of a Fiat Fuel Altered, whatcha got?  Especially seat area with rear end and frame, then controls and steering. 

Thanks, Michael