Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Chevelle

roadhawg

This is the AMT '69 Chevelle hardtop. Changes include adding bits and pieces of styrene to the engine compartment to sort of "close things in". While I was in there, I replaced the valve covers and air cleaner with chrome pieces from my parts box, and moved the alternator to the right side.
The interior is ok, but it's missing the headrests, which were on '69s. Ironically, the MPC '67 GTO has separate headrests, but the real car DIDN'T...so I lifted those.
Chassis is box stock except for modern AMT Goodyear tires. Even the ride height is stock from the kit.
Bodywise, I removed the lower trim which shouldn't be on an SS. I also found a way past those horrid tailights by just filling them in and making decal tailights...I know some are put off by using decals like that, but to me it gives it that distinct '69 Chevelle look. 
Paint is plain old Tamiya black, with red Valspar from Lowes for the interior. Decals are my own. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but hey, I'm an old man.
It's certainly not a contest winner, but I'm happy with it as a 10 footer. Thanks for looking!

1_zpsvdfeuln5.jpg

2_zpslve1xgmw.jpg

3_zpssteqcqjq.jpg

4_zpsbh0p5ie8.jpg

5_zpswa1wcrn1.jpg

6_zpszgg0uqgy.jpg

7_zpsaboivnwp.jpg

8_zpsyy7geork.jpg

Very nice indeed, and that's coming from someone who's built this kit three times. Congrats on removing the inaccurate body trim, something that often gets overlooked on this kit. Your decal taillights look GREAT--MUCH better than the current kit parts, and they even rival the (more or less correct) original annual parts.

This is one of the nicest builds of this kit I've ever seen. As David Letterman used to say, "You got all of that one, my friend!" Well done and model on! B)