Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air brush problems

Sanded this with 220 after primer and then air brushed it with gloss black and this happened. I looked very smooth when it was in primer.

it was 1/1 

I've used the red equivalent of this with no problems

image.thumb.jpg.fa1c9fdd86f8952fc94abfffimage.thumb.jpg.ce5d7a1d28dfa4442f1ea969image.thumb.jpg.33e22a23658b78d3149f855cimage.thumb.jpg.0601d9df0b4970e202c5821b

Edited by 3100 chevy

220 is too coarse. You need to finish sanding with something finer. I usually go with 360 or 400 to start, then 600 to 800 and finish with 1000 or 1500. The smoother it is before you spray, the smoother it'll be after you spray.

Edited by Miatatom

So if I sand up to 2000 and then repaint it'll smooth out?

If all you want to do is rough the surface up for a repaint, you could do that with 600 grit, without giving it deep sanding scratches. However, it is difficult to see what your problem is - the photos seem to make it look pretty good for gloss black! Exactly what is this paint you're using - it could be several things in Testors small bottles - enamel or acrylic, or even lacquer (although I'm not sure they package lacquer in these small bottles).