Model Cars Magazine Forum

Step chop method

I assume you're wanting to avoid lengthening the roof, as is necessary using some chopping techniques.

I've done several tutorials on various forums. What do you want to chop, and how much?

The methodology is different depending on the era you're working in.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Sorry should have been more specific ,first would be the revell 32 5 window and then the Tudor . I do want to avoid lengthing the roof so I can keep the cloth inserts . Thx again

Easiest way to "chop" the 5-window would be to get either the Milner or the Boyd's issue of the AMT/MPC "Switchers" '32 Ford and graft that roof onto the Revell body. It's already chopped for you.

As for a chopped Tudor, I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't already offer this in resin. In fact, check Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland--I believe they've done several alternative resin bodies for the Revell '32 Ford series.

Both the '32 Ford Tudor and the 5-window are particularly easy ones to chop, as the B and C pillars come straight down. Many times, a chop on these in real-life, or in scale, involves lengthening the roof slightly between the A and B pillars, but this can be avoided by simply bending the lower A pillars back slightly, and the upper A pillars forward slightly, after the roof has been cut off. This has the effect of raking the windshield back more than stock, for a more streamlined look.

Keep the B pillars in alignment when the roof is brought down, and lean the A pillars back as described above, and where you get a slight mismatch at the C pillars, lightly file and fill to shape.

There's just no need to agonize over the 'step-chop' method on these body styles.

• 2 weeks later...