Model Cars Magazine Forum

Copper T - Model T Hot Rod

jbattersby

I bought this kit for 2 Euro at a flea market last summer. Somebody had started to build it, so a couple things were messed up but all the parts were there. I definitely had to get rid of the gold though. A good portion of the model was gold plated so I had to strip everything down to the plastic and start fresh. The white wall tires came from another kit I had, I figured they would be better then the 70's wire wheel/fat rear wheel combo. Whoever started the model actually glued the cylinder heads upside down, so the V8 looks a bit strange, but I couldn't rip them off without destroying the engine block. Since some of my other projects are taking long, I did this as a quick build on the side. The colors I went with are: Exterior Paint Revell Enamel 93 - Interior Paint Revell Enamel SM 378. I hope you guys like it so far, she should be done very soon!

Out-1291.jpg

Out-9791.jpg

Out-.jpg

Out-2-3.jpg

Out-2-2.jpg

Out-2.jpg

Out-1-2.jpg

Out-1.jpg

Out-0273-2.jpg

Out-0576-2.jpg

Edited by jbattersby

I love the way this is going.  The valve covers seem to be awkwardly positioned, I think something might be installed improperly.  Is it possible the cylinder heads are on backwards?  Like the intake side was inadvertently placed where the exhaust should go.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see how this turns out.  The colors look great and your photography is really well done.

Edited by rsxse240

I love the way this is going.  The valve covers seem to be awkwardly positioned, I think something might be installed improperly.  Is it possible the cylinder heads are on backwards?  Like the intake side was inadvertently placed where the exhaust should go.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see how this turns out.  The colors look great and your photography is really well done.

Yes they are, I wrote at the beginning of the post that whoever started the model actually glued the cylinder heads upside down, so the V8 looks a bit strange, but I couldn't rip them off without destroying the engine block. I paid 2 Euro for the kit, so I left it as is, she'll still look good once everything is together.

A little work with a razor saw could remove the heads cleanly enough to reuse without any problems. I've had pretty fair luck just scoring a line with a saw or the back of a #11 blade along the glue joints then flowing some liquid cement along the lines and letting them soak for awhile, usually then they can often be removed at the original glue joints. A little bit of information for the next time.

A little work with a razor saw could remove the heads cleanly enough to reuse without any problems. I've had pretty fair luck just scoring a line with a saw or the back of a #11 blade along the glue joints then flowing some liquid cement along the lines and letting them soak for awhile, usually then they can often be removed at the original glue joints. A little bit of information for the next time.

Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update on my Copper T. I had to lower the front of end of the chassis in order to give it the right stance. The first pic is before I lowered the front, I was just mocking up the front wheels/suspension to see how it would look. Since I'm using a different wheel/tire combination then the kit came with I had to do a bit of work to get that front end low enough that the car retains it's aggressive stance. In the second pic I had just attached the exhaust, which I wrapped with white tape to mimic header wrapping to cover the hot metal where you might burn your leg while getting in and out of the car. Not sure if that would really help in reality but I figured the exhaust needed a bit of detail. Only pieces left now are the grill and some paint touch ups on the front suspension. Enjoy!

Out-2825.jpg

Out-2909.jpg