Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATE W/ Pics - Hobby Zone Modular Organizers

Hobby Zone (In Poland) has some pretty incredible organizing systems, I wasn't sure if anyone here has heard of them. At first I wasn't interested because it seems they are heavily geared towards WarHammer type stuff, but the more I look into it and think of all the ways I could set it up, the more I get excited about ordering. 

I have always had a constant battle for maximizing my available space and having very organized work area. I like to be able to reach for something without having to mover other stuff to get to it. I rearrange my work area almost every time I change the model I am working on. I think this will help tremendously. 

You have to assembled the pieces, which is fine, since shipping them flat keeps shipping costs down. The modules attach to each other with magnets so they aren't sliding around. 

Here is their website: http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/

Edited by Quick GMC

I tried ordering, but it said I had exceeding the allowed shipping weight. Since they are in Poland I think they are only using a specific USPS method. I contacted on Facebook, but it's in the evening there now. Hopefully they have a solution. I drew up and designed my setup and measured everything on my bench yesterday to make sure it would work. I'm super excited. 

If I can get this worked out, I'll post pictures once I have it done. They get shipped in flat board and you have to fit and glue them together. They seem really sturdy, based on the shipping weight I had for the pieces. 

I just hate that I don't have access to a band saw and a router.  If I did, I'd have all SORTS of organizing shelves, stands and what not.  These are really nice and prices look good too.  I'll be waiting to see you guy's reviews before I decide if it's for me, or if I should just build a wood shop so I can build a model building shop.  LOL!

I ordered 20 modular pieces to make a 3 level wrap around setup. It's 5 feet wide on the outside, which gives me 4 feet of width on the inside. The total weight was 100lbs and it's hard to gauge it accurately in my head, that seems pretty heavy for what they look like. I though it was lightweight wood. 

Also they all come with magnets so they magnetically attach to each other. I left the top center section out as my laptop will fit perfectly in there and I can watch shows and movies without it being in the way. 

My experience is that no matter how I organize, it still ends up looking like a hog sty in a matter of days, so I decided long ago that these organizer systems are most certainly not for me. Interesting concept though I guess.

I am the same way, but I keep buying new benchtop drawer sets and stuff and I ended up taking half my bench space up. The drawers take up too much space, etc. I think these will help tremendously. I'll post before and afters. 

Not only will this hold all my supplies, but I am eliminating all my paint racks on the wall with the paint trays that fit on top of this system

This is essentially what I am doing, but without the triangle drawers. I also left the top middle piece out and my laptop will go there, it fits perfectly in between. 

pVri7fX.jpg

I ordered these last week, I think on Thursday, they showed up on Monday, from Poland. They got here faster via UPS than they would have had they been sent from texas. 

20 boxes, 20 modules, with one blank spot in the center for my computer. 

Here is a quick before & after. I will actually be ordering 3 more units to add another column in the middle so it spans the full 6 feet of my bench. 

Before

After

4 feet wide in the middle

I will do a full review with progress pictures and post the link after I have time to put it together. 

Here is a review with the progress pictures. You have to glue them all together, but it's not bad, they fit perfectly. They are not expensive at all. I paid a tad over $110 for shipping from Poland and it got here in 3 days. It would have cost $50-$60 to ship from Texas to Ca and would have got here in 3 days. A small price to pay IMO

http://imgur.com/a/ivwul#0

Your desk look super, really well laid out

I have great aspirations that I am going to take my table saw and bandsaw and make up some organizers like this with rare earth metal magnets to attach sides

The reality is I might as well just order these and move on

ps jealous of the Zero paints I see there so neatly organized...can't get those shipped easily it seems anymore 

Your desk look super, really well laid out

I have great aspirations that I am going to take my table saw and bandsaw and make up some organizers like this with rare earth metal magnets to attach sides

The reality is I might as well just order these and move on

ps jealous of the Zero paints I see there so neatly organized...can't get those shipped easily it seems anymore 

I have had those Zeros since before they stopped shipping here. 

Seems like a pita to assemble but sure worth the effort  

How sturdy is it?

This is interesting ?

Don aka XJ6 ? 

It's actually not a pain at all, it just takes time because there are so many pieces. One $6 bottle of Gorilla Glue and a set of 4 clamps for $35 is the only extra stuff needed. Because they fit so well, it was enjoyable most of the time. If I wasn't so busy with other things, It would have just been a breeze. I was kind of in a rush, but I wanted to make sure I didn't get lazy with it and it worked out well since they fall together. 

They are incredibly sturdy. I believe it is particle board, but it is extremely dense. I'll have to weigh the drawer module tomorrow, but over 100lbs for 20 units, that's an average of 5lbs each, not including packaging weight. Some are more, some are less. 

The only complaints I can come up with is I had to put them together, but that's the only way they can make them available at this price. If they required work, like a model kit, then I would be disappointed, but I have to say I am really happy with them. 

I posted this awhile back, but it cool to see someone buy a set ,  so it was $110 for shipping?, I am curious, how much did the 20 pieces run you ?

I think it was around $440 with shipping. So $320-$330 for that setup. You can sign up on their site for free and build a shopping cart. On the top left, you can change the currency to USD. 

also, with a bunch of pieces it won't let you check out, they don't have the UPS and other shipping setup yet. I just messaged them on Facebook with a screenshot of my cart and he sent me a paypal invoice. You can email them if you don't have Facebook. 

Their website and facebook page has a bunch of customers' setups and those are what finally convinced me to get them. 

For the bottle holders, I couldn't find much info on what bottles fit other than actually measuring them, but even then it was right on the limit. I can say that Scale Finishes bottles fit, but are a little snug in the larger size bottle module. Alclad, small Tamiya bottles and all the Testors bottles fit.