Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Plymouth vert with some 3d printed parts

my66s55

DSCN0189_zpsdwwzcwc7.thumb.jpg.9604f0e0eDSCN0187_zpsyew1taq5.thumb.jpg.990195129DSCN0187_zpsyew1taq5.thumb.jpg.6c5898227  This is another project I started years ago and shelved because of lack of scratch building skills. For a quick intro, it is the 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury Modelhause kit I purchase about 12 years ago. The only parts I'm using from that kit are the body, hubcaps, dash, front bumper with headlights, rear bumper and tail lights. The rolling chassis as well as under the hood parts, interior floor and back seat are from the AMT 58 Belvedere kit.                                                                                                             One thing that I'm really good at is breaking windshield frames. This was one of them. I attempted to make a resin cast copy, but my resin skills aren't good enough. The thought came to me a couple of weeks ago that I could possibly draw one up and print it out on my high res 3d printer. I did it and printed it out at 100 mu layer thickness. It was't too bad, but still needed some touch up work. And then, of coarse, I broke it doing that. I glued it and put it on the car anyway. This is my first attempt at posting from Photobucket on the this new forum update. I hope it works. I sure do miss that post preview. It didn't work . Here are the links to my Photobucket   Pic's.                       

I wasn't real happy with the results. I decided to lower the layer thickness in halfto  um. This meant that the print time went to  Time longer.  hours and minutes later I have this. Now I'm happy.

Edited by my66s55

The pic didn't show Doug, but I looked up the URL and it looks pretty neat! I might have printed the entire cowl area with the windshield posts for strength, but it looks pretty good.

Seems as though Photobucket  and Fotki are having technical issues as I couldn't get your pic to post here..........hmmmm.

Or maybe the board is having difficulties?

DSCN0183_zpsut7bqqmd.thumb.jpg.9070ae933DSCN0185_zpsupuulgxw.thumb.jpg.fe221a212And more:

The pic didn't show Doug, but I looked up the URL and it looks pretty neat! I might have printed the entire cowl area with the windshield posts for strength, but it looks pretty good.

Seems as though Photobucket  and Fotki are having technical issues as I couldn't get your pic to post here..........hmmmm.

Or maybe the board is having difficulties?

Did you see all of them, Bill?

Edited by my66s55

Did you see all of them, Bill?

I just clicked on the initial link you posted and it took me to your Photobucket page. I've been doing a little test on this thread as far as getting pics to show, and NOTHING will show up from different sites! This includes Photobucket, Fotki, Google, etc...........

I usually post from FF, but I tried the board on Chrome and am still having the same issue. As I mentioned, it could be the board is suffering from another glitch.........I'm not sure, but there are other threads where pics have been posted and they're showing.

I haven't been able to post on this forum from Photobucket for the past couple of days either.

Must just be a glitch on this site as I'm still able to use it on other forums.

For the time being I've just been posting directly from my photo files using the "choose files" button at the bottom of the page.

You might just want to try that.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you Doug!

I do like the the seat decals that you used. Much easier than using paint & masking tape like I did on my '59.

Steve

DSCN4166.JPG

DSCN0164_zpsdaurl7pd.thumb.jpg.07a90518fYes Steve, I found this way of doing the interior seats and door panels to be the most realistic way to present the interior. Besides, I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to doing small detail work in that I only have useful sight in my left eye. This means that I don't have depth perception. To get an idea of what I mean, place a small object onto a flat surface, close your right eye and try to pick it up. Anyway, the interior pieces on my Photobucket are the old ones printed on my fdm filament printer in my icon. The other 2 pictures here are their replacement parts printed on my high res dlp printer. The seat back on the left is the front and has the strap with buckles. The one on the left is the back and has the ash try. If you look closely at the strap's on the door panels, you can see see the buckles. It's also a much crisper print with well defined lines. 

DSCN0208.thumb.JPG.f9ae227c76d1287325c0eDSCN0209.thumb.JPG.58d18bc6b2600e6f679d2

Edited by my66s55

Besides, I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to doing small detail work in that I only have useful sight in my left eye. This means that I don't have depth perception.

The same here... join the club..... people like us could have been wonderful fighter pilots.... :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates to show where I am on this build. The seats and side panels are ready to have the upholstery pattern applied. The back of the back seat needed to be printed to reflect the straps in the back of the seat. It will replace the one from the 58. The interior floor chassis, engine, etc have been done for years. The newest windshield frame printout is glued in place and a shot of silver paint applied. I'm really happy with the current results.

DSCN0289.thumb.JPG.5193758f0fbe941bc148bDSCN0298.thumb.JPG.26d9e53673b772cc7fc25DSCN0299.thumb.JPG.3d691dfdc647f5c9038faDSCN0292.thumb.JPG.899bf114380da20b4c646DSCN0296.thumb.JPG.a6bd538496c9a72660f1c

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This project has been shelved since, well, pretty much since the last post. What happened was that I unknowingly left the body in 91% alcohol overnight. As you can guess, complete disaster. Last week, I scored a perfect Excel hard top on the bay and received it Saturday. Today I have a beautiful resin copy I cast and am now ready to finish this project.

Interested in printing and selling me a copy of the seat decals . ? if so, PM me we'll talk

I have a Johan 59 Fury build on the short list . And I've all but decided its going to be either a real dark blood red or black,,,but  with red interior

Here is the pattern I created from a screen shot of a 59 Plymouth door panel jpeg:

1959_plymouth_sport_fury_uoholstry_patte

I just printed it out, cut it to fit and glued it on the seats and door panels.

Edited by my66s55

Here is the pattern I created from a screen shot of a 59 Plymouth door panel jpeg:

1959_plymouth_sport_fury_uoholstry_patte

I just printed it out, cut it to fit and glued it on the seats and door panels.

Thank you.

I saved it and once i get some ink for my color printer. I take a stab at printing a copy on decal paper

Thanks John. I just recently checked the 59 Plymouth brochure and learned that a 4bbl 318 poly engine was standard issue in the Sport Fury. That means that I have to create the 4bbl intake manifold for this project. It'll give me a chance to check the fit in a model as the frame is from the AMT 58 Belvedere.