Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 Del Rio Cop parts ?

So how is the cigarette lighter in the Del Rio?  (There... do I have the jist of the thread figured out?)

I didn't know the radio was a different mold.  I have a couple of the Del Rios, but I missed out on the police cars.  I figure I can just take the police parts from the Del Rio, and stick them on a regular '57 Ford to make up the difference.  The only thing lacking would be the decals...  I would probably look for some unique ones anyways.  Cathie's Son in Law thinks he can do a pretty close version of a two door detective's car with a Revell '57 Chevy 150 Black widow kit and a bunch of downgrading.  He's thinking of a 6 cylinder with the plain 5 lug wheels and the police parts from his Del Rio, along with some custom printed decals.  He has found a few pictures of cars that could be duplicated.  I like the way he is thinking!

Uh-huh, and maybe Steve is also wondering about cross-compatibility between the wagon's cop car parts and the sedan, 'cause the Model King squad car ain't on every street corner in the UK.  Which I would guess means the jist of this thread is, oh, pretty much exactly what he was asking.

The MK release has about twice the number of service graphic options, by the way, a few of which overlap with the Del Rio's.  The wagon still offers a pretty comprehensive decal selection that'd probably work for the sedan.  The red lenses for the siren and strobe are the same, too.

Sadly, just like the sedan kit, the 'cop car parts' are quite deficient . . . other than the beacon.  

The beacon is a good representation of a Federal Beacon Ray.  Best of all, the station wagon kit has a decal to replicate the Federal label that was prominent on the front of Beacon Rays.  Better still, there are a couple of extras - - so, you can use them to retro-fit other beacons like the ones in the sedan kit, etc.

But, the radio unit is still over-sized (too large for scale), and there is still no speaker unit for it.  The "spotlight" is a heavy-handed pedestal light.  And, the siren is badly done, with its pedestal mounted to the turbine shroud rather than to the motor housing.  

Curiously, there is no 50's style whip antenna, but there is a 60's style antenna mast.  

Ah, well.  Close, but no cigar.

Thanks for the info Chuck. It sounds like the wagon parts will be what I need to use on a 57 Chevy 283fi Police car. or maybe a 6 cyl 150 4 door sedan Military Police car ?    Anybody got a pic of the wagon decal sheet ?         

I plunked down the money for a wagon today B) Yes your right, MK are not readily available in the UK but ebay is always the answer. Maybe $12 shipping if you choose the right shop / seller.

Danno, not many of my builds are 100% correct. Close but no cigar sounds ok lol

Daddyfink, maybe we can all keep wishing for that Monaco kit . . . . . . . .

Edited by 57peppershaker

It is worth noting that the supercharger parts are in the Del Rio kit. Interestingly, the supercharger parts are not mentioned in the directions. Anybody got an exploded view of the blower? I want to use it!

It is worth noting that the supercharger parts are in the Del Rio kit. Interestingly, the supercharger parts are not mentioned in the directions. Anybody got an exploded view of the blower? I want to use it!

That goes double for me!

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4024.pdf