Model Cars Magazine Forum

I cut the chassis down to size. Again, sure it's not exactly like the 1:1 but it works. I'm waiting for a couple of sets of wheels & tires I ordered from Scenes Unlimited before I touch the suspension. If they're to large for the stock set up I'll lift the suspension. Or I may just leave it stock and use the Silverado wheels & tires.

DSC09477.JPG

Thanks for the kind words guys,  I appreciate that. I prefer the 2 door over the 4 door Tahoe and even the Suburban.  It looks good stock, lifted and outfitted for emergencies. 

I agree, the '99+ alloys look better than the stockers.  I think I'll de-chrome them, paint them silver and add some wash to them and see how that looks. 

And since I have a spare chassis, I'll leave one at stock height and lift the suspension on the other. 

Thanks again

Edited by Perspective Customs

• 10 months later...

, that is remarkable work, my friend.....Extra nice....Makes me want to break that old Tahoe I have and get to cutting, myself.....What a great idea.....

I say go for it. It's not too difficult as long as you have the correct dimensions and get your cuts right.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

For me the big challenge was the side glass but I think I have that solved. I used a clear plastic package with four sides and a flat top and made a cut just where the plastic curves. It took many tries before i got it close to correct. 

The tint was also a challenge for me. Since the top of the glass is curved, 1:1 tint film didn't hold too well and there were a few air bubbles. That stuff works best with heat but of course plastic doesn't. I settled on spray paint that's used for tinting tail lights I wouldn't suggest using it on your 1:1 but it worked ok for this application. It made the glass a little cloudy but rubbing it with Weiman's helped a bit. 

FYI-I use peel 'n stick vinyl window tint "samples" or cuts for headlights sourced from eBay. 

Cost probably the same, but lot less mess. Plus-guaranteed even coverage every time. 

Bought a $7 roll 3-4 years ago, probably will last me a lifetime