Model Cars Magazine Forum

1948 to 1947 Chevys - Galaxie Ltd

fseva

No offense intended:

I built the 1948 version of Galaxie Ltd's Chevy, and now (after a long time) they are releasing the 1947... It doesn't look all that different to me, and other than getting a "woody", which I'm not particularly interested in, what is there to make me want to buy one of these new kits? (Aren't the bumpers the same, since GL already included 3 versions? Why did it take so long to bring out what must have been a virtual update of an already-existing kit?)

Edited by fseva

Hey Frank, The last issue was a 46-47-48 Fleetline. This is the same 46-47-48, but its the coupe, not the fastback. But the fastback has also been reissued but with the woody option if you like !

OK - now I understand that it is the coupe instead of the fastback. I think that gives me a reason to buy one! Thanks for that!

I still wonder though, if there if such a difference between the two that it should cause such a long period of development?

Short story is that getting the coupe correct was the big problem.
During the past 15 years Korean manufacturing went from interpreting drawings to laser scanning 3D models to make molds.
Galaxie LTD spent a lot of time and expense making drawings and photos available to the Koreans and all the test shots were way off!!!
So Gary took the test shots to his master builder who modified them and sent the model to Korea who scanned it and made new molds.
This took quite a few years to do but I told you it was the "short story".
The long story would take Gary to tell you all the little back and forth details.

Also.... there was the west coast long shore men's strike, the cold winters in Korea where they shut down everything for 4 months of the year.

The kits also contain a few new parts like drag tires and completely new decals.

Short story is that getting the coupe correct was the big problem.
During the past 15 years Korean manufacturing went from interpreting drawings to laser scanning 3D models to make molds.
Galaxie LTD spent a lot of time and expense making drawings and photos available to the Koreans and all the test shots were way off!!!
So Gary took the test shots to his master builder who modified them and sent the model to Korea who scanned it and made new molds.
This took quite a few years to do but I told you it was the "short story".
Also.... there was the west coast long shore men's strike, the cold winters in Korea where they shut down everything for 4 months of the year.
The kits also contain a few new parts like drag tires and completely new decals.

Well, that sure explains it! Thanks for the info!

One more question...

I thought most of the industry was using China for styrene production? By going with Korea, could GL have inadvertently shot themselves in the foot?

One more question...

I thought most of the industry was using China for styrene production? By going with Korea, could GL have inadvertently shot themselves in the foot?

Galaxie Limited has always used a Korean tooling source, but I would imagine a large portion of the 15 year delay in getting the Coupe version out is the same reason that Accurate Miniatures went bankrupt, AMT & MPC have had three owners, and Revell/Monogram has had at least two.  The falling off the face of the earth of the hobby - brought on by Wal*Mart demanding a set price point, the closing of other mass retailers (anyone remember Hills or Ames, or Woolworths, or even G.C. Murphy? just to name a few East Coast ones), the death of Children's Palace which used to have a massive model aisle, the over all economy, etc, etc, et al.

Through the Dark Ages between 1999 and 2008 the only company that never changed hands or went under was Galaxie Limited making their way one Aerosedan, Sedan Delivery, Dragster, and Race Car Hauler at a time.  It was just recently as the "everything that's old is new again" nostalgia gripped the hobby that Galaxie Limited kits suddenly had a resurgence in popularity and were stocked back into a lot of Hobby Shops.  About a year ago, I bought one of the last Aerosedans Gary had in the warehouse, it didn't even come in a box art box because those had all run out.

The biggest actual reason for the current delay once Gary decided to move ahead with the Coupe was the goof up with the tooling that required scrapping the original attempt, and creating a whole new tool for the body based on the rework of the original test shot.  The West Coast Port "Strike" was over before it even thawed out enough to start running the machinery again in Korea.

I got a call from John at Model Cave in Ypsi, Michigan this afternoon...they got in both the Galaxie Ltd. kits today. (Today being Wednesday, July 29).    

Separately, Gary and his team at Galaxie have been up all hours shipping out orders this week....apparently they are extremely pleased with sales of the kits to date.  

Cheers...TIM 

Can't wait to get my hands on mine. Remember the "Gas Monkey Garage" episode when they took a 48 or so Chevy coupe and rebuilt it? Nothing fancy, just newer suspension, better brakes. updated engine and electronics, but outside almost completely stock. Painted semi gloss black with wide whites and chrome reverse rims and a slight rake..... I have had a vision of that build in my head ever since they announced this kit!! Can't wait !!!:D

One more question...

Galaxie Limited has always used a Korean tooling source, but I would imagine a large portion of the 15 year delay in getting the Coupe version out is the same reason that Accurate Miniatures went bankrupt, AMT & MPC have had three owners, and Revell/Monogram has had at least two.  The falling off the face of the earth of the hobby - brought on by Wal*Mart demanding a set price point, the closing of other mass retailers (anyone remember Hills or Ames, or Woolworths, or even G.C. Murphy? just to name a few East Coast ones), the death of Children's Palace which used to have a massive model aisle, the over all economy, etc, etc, et al.

Through the Dark Ages between 1999 and 2008 the only company that never changed hands or went under was Galaxie Limited making their way one Aerosedan, Sedan Delivery, Dragster, and Race Car Hauler at a time.  It was just recently as the "everything that's old is new again" nostalgia gripped the hobby that Galaxie Limited kits suddenly had a resurgence in popularity and were stocked back into a lot of Hobby Shops.  About a year ago, I bought one of the last Aerosedans Gary had in the warehouse, it didn't even come in a box art box because those had all run out.

The biggest actual reason for the current delay once Gary decided to move ahead with the Coupe was the goof up with the tooling that required scrapping the original attempt, and creating a whole new tool for the body based on the rework of the original test shot.  The West Coast Port "Strike" was over before it even thawed out enough to start running the machinery again in Korea.

Very interesting and thanks for the info!