Model Cars Magazine Forum

Createx Paints

I purchased a package of 6 Createx opaque colors. I chose the blue (no particular reason) and thinned it with Future...just over 2 to 1. I used a plastic spoon sanded with 600 grit and primed with Duplicolor white primer. I used my Paasche Model H single action airbrush set @ 30 psi. I applied 4 light coats and between each coat I dried the paint with a hair dryer set to warm. I clear coated with Future using the airbrush set @ 20 psi.

I must say that I'm extremely pleased with the results. If anyone is/has used this paint, I would appreciate feedback based on your experience.

I have a lot Autoair/Createx paint left over from my motorcycle tank painting days about 10 or more years ago. At this time that is all I am using. I haven't got the clearing with Future down yet but I like working with the paint.

I did find that working with some colors like Chrome Yellow that the more coats you put on the oranger it gets. 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

I purchased a package of 6 Createx opaque colors. I chose the blue (no particular reason) and thinned it with Future...just over 2 to 1. I used a plastic spoon sanded with 600 grit and primed with Duplicolor white primer. I used my Paasche Model H single action airbrush set @ 30 psi. I applied 4 light coats and between each coat I dried the paint with a hair dryer set to warm. I clear coated with Future using the airbrush set @ 20 psi.

I must say that I'm extremely pleased with the results. If anyone is/has used this paint, I would appreciate feedback based on your experience.

I'm currently using Transparent Black as a wash for things like grilles, etc. I have a few other Wicked and Auto-Air colors that I use for hand-brushing. I have never thought of using Future as a thinner for airbrushing, though. Gonna have to give that a try!

I'm currently using Transparent Black as a wash for things like grilles, etc. I have a few other Wicked and Auto-Air colors that I use for hand-brushing. I have never thought of using Future as a thinner for airbrushing, though. Gonna have to give that a try!

One of the advantages of using Future is no "dry tip". It really helps lay the paint down. Supposedly a product called Quick Shine multi-surface floor finish can be used in place of Future. I purchased some, but have not tried it. It seems that some people are having difficulty finding Future in stores.

I have a lot Autoair/Createx paint left over from my motorcycle tank painting days about 10 or more years ago. At this time that is all I am using. I haven't got the clearing with Future down yet but I like working with the paint.

I did find that working with some colors like Chrome Yellow that the more coats you put on the oranger it gets. 

Thanks for sharing that info!

It seems that some people are having difficulty finding Future in stores.

Maybe that's because it's no longer called Future... Now, it's  Pledge Floor Care Finish!?

I tried one of those substitutes from the Dollar Store... very poor for our use - the stuff dried without any shine at all!

Edited by fseva

It seems that some people are having difficulty finding Future in stores.

Maybe that's because it's no longer called Future... Now, it's  Pledge Floor Care Finish.

That's right! Last time I purchased it was online from Walmart because my local store didn't stock it anymore. Can't figure as to why they changed the name:huh:

I've switched over to using Createx on my RC car bodies. It sticks well to lexan, dries quickly, covers well, is a snap to spray and clean up. I've not needed to thin it at all. Have never used it on a styrene model but I can't imagine it would be much different. I can't imagine using anything else on an RC body now, it's great.

On the RC bodies nothing, the body is the clear. I do back it with white, but haven't found any other coating necessary. The Createx paint stays flexible and is pretty tough, it rubs through where the tires touch it but it takes a long hard rub to do it. 

I think just about any clear would work on a styrene model, I'd maybe try Future first, but this paint is pretty tough I'd think you could use whatever your favorite clear is.

On the RC bodies nothing, the body is the clear. I do back it with white, but haven't found any other coating necessary. The Createx paint stays flexible and is pretty tough, it rubs through where the tires touch it but it takes a long hard rub to do it. 

I think just about any clear would work on a styrene model, I'd maybe try Future first, but this paint is pretty tough I'd think you could use whatever your favorite clear is.

I have used several differant clears and all worked well

I have had good luck with a few different clears except the enamels.  This cab was painted with Createx and clear coated with cheap Mod Podge Acrylic clear.  It won a trophy at the local model contest.  For the last couple of years now I have been using Dupli-Color Acrylic lacquer clear over this paint and and the MM lacquer paints with great success. 

IMG_6411-vi.jpg

Maybe that's because it's no longer called Future... Now, it's  Pledge Floor Care Finish!?

I tried one of those substitutes from the Dollar Store... very poor for our use - the stuff dried without any shine at all!

All you ever wanted to know about Future (or whatever it is called now) but you didn't know where to look: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I just sprayed Creatix transparent orange on my 66 GTO and the product is great but at first it looked way to fluorescent but after a few more coats it settled down and last night I sprayed Testors one coat laquer clear on it and it looks really good! In my experience with Future on the Creatix paint is it lifted it right off of the body almost better than purple power on chrome so im not real sure what went wrong... Just this guys 2 cents

What primer did you use? I dry my createx/Autoair with a hair dryer between coats and after the final coat. Then wait 24 hrs more before clearing. Never had a lifting problem only that it takes so much Future to smooth out being that Createx/Autoair dries rough. I had to put on so much future that it looked bloby

Used Duplicolor clear and it worked great

What primer did you use? I dry my createx/Autoair with a hair dryer between coats and after the final coat. Then wait 24 hrs more before clearing. Never had a lifting problem only that it takes so much Future to smooth out being that Createx/Autoair dries rough. I had to put on so much future that it looked bloby

Jon, did you thin it with Future? 

No at that time I thinned it with water. I will try thinning with future on my current build. It will be Pearlized Black base with Gunmetal flake over that.  Using a black primer.

No at that time I thinned it with water. I will try thinning with future on my current build. It will be Pearlized Black base with Gunmetal flake over that.  Using a black primer.

I haven't used the pearl paints yet. The combination you plan to use sounds interesting! I'll be looking forward to the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I noticed that their yellows look orange inside the unshaken bottle! Obviously, it must have a use for all that orange, but I can't imagine what...

I've been using the Createx and their Wicked Colors lines for quite a while both for model, automotive, panels and other projects.  I've found through the years that you are better off as far as being able to duplicate the desired effect when you stick with the paint manufacturer's paints, reducers and any other additives they recommend.  Createx has their own line of Reducer and acrylic base which work well with their Createx and Wicked Colors lines, I won't gamble using anything else on either a customer's piece or even something I will be giving someone else.

My normal formula is a base of automotive primer, White makes most of their paints pop, I've used Hot Rod Black and or Flatz topcoats of various colors, plain old white is the best.   Depending if I am using the transparent colors or the solid colors would be to lay down a pearl "Backer" color reduced 2:1 with Createx Reducer (thinner).  Next come the Transparent Colors reduced to 2:1 to begin with, adjusting for coverage either bumping up paint or reducer until the desired effect is achieved.  Solid colors go straight onto the Primed base, again testing for coverage and adjusting color or reducer to get the coverage I want.

Last comes some sort of clear coat whether it be an automotive clear, Future or other acrylic clear.

Createx has an excellent DVD of how to use their products for best results, I've seen it at Hobby Lobby for around $5 or about the price of a bottle of paint.  I shared my copy with another person on this board who was struggling with acrylic paints in general and he reported success after seeing how to use the products.

I've been using the Createx and their Wicked Colors lines for quite a while both for model, automotive, panels and other projects.  I've found through the years that you are better off as far as being able to duplicate the desired effect when you stick with the paint manufacturer's paints, reducers and any other additives they recommend.  Createx has their own line of Reducer and acrylic base which work well with their Createx and Wicked Colors lines, I won't gamble using anything else on either a customer's piece or even something I will be giving someone else.

My normal formula is a base of automotive primer, White makes most of their paints pop, I've used Hot Rod Black and or Flatz topcoats of various colors, plain old white is the best.   Depending if I am using the transparent colors or the solid colors would be to lay down a pearl "Backer" color reduced 2:1 with Createx Reducer (thinner).  Next come the Transparent Colors reduced to 2:1 to begin with, adjusting for coverage either bumping up paint or reducer until the desired effect is achieved.  Solid colors go straight onto the Primed base, again testing for coverage and adjusting color or reducer to get the coverage I want.

Last comes some sort of clear coat whether it be an automotive clear, Future or other acrylic clear.

Createx has an excellent DVD of how to use their products for best results, I've seen it at Hobby Lobby for around $5 or about the price of a bottle of paint.  I shared my copy with another person on this board who was struggling with acrylic paints in general and he reported success after seeing how to use the products.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnhklToD9CFSJVsMuxWHjNA

Lots of free how-to videos on youtube and info on their web site 

http://www.createxcolors.com/technicalhowto.html