Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Ford F-100 Custom Shortbed! New Old Custom Grill!!

Love these trucks!! Had one painted metallic blue and built stock when I was a kid. It had nothing glued to the body except the stock emblems. It got sold in a rummage sale in about 1967:o  

Thanks!  After looking for awhile this was the first one I could actually almost afford that wasn't completely roached.

Nice John!

I found a nice one of these a few months ago.

Funny how everyone that I've seen has the points broken off of the "arrow" emblems on the hood.

I'd like to find a new set along with some stock hub caps.

Steve

Thanks, Steve!  I actually sold the emblems off this hood.  You hardly ever see one with stock caps.

Love the shortbed conversion. 

I've been trying to get a clean 60 or 61 F150 for a while now. Always seem to get beat out

Thanks!  Clean ones are definitely at a premium. This one was a bit of a glue bomb but, at least, hadn't been painted.  I'm finding that where the discolored plastic is thin along the edges, like the window moldings, it is very brittle and chips easily.

That thing is sweet

Thanks, David!  Like some other things in this world, she may be sweet, but can be tough to work with!

I'll be following this build too John - great start.

Thanks, JC!  The goal will be to finish the '58 Fairlane first but I will be paying some attention to this one, too. Should soon have an update on a cheap and easy engine upgrade for it.

Way cool, I too love these old Ford trucks. It's a shame we don't get more of the Fords, Chevy get's EVERYTHING done, or so it seems.:(

Thanks, Geno!  Yeah, I know what you mean. Darn Chevies are everywhere!

Glad to see this one. I just picked one of these up in a lot. Looking to shorten the bed so I am appreciative of your pictures. Yours looks great.

Thanks for the inspiration and instruction.

Later-

Thanks, Tom!  Yours look like it was built by the little brother of the guy who built mine!  (Wow, that bed is huge!)  Looks like a decent starting point, though. Did you get a hood?

That stance and wheel/tire placement is just perfect, unimprovable.

Thanks, Mike!  As they say on the H.A.M.B., "it's all in the stance!"

Edited by John Goschke

It took a little tweaking to get the engine in from an old AMT '57 T-bird. Had to extend the tailshaft a bit to get the distributor to clear the firewall and shorten the fan pulley to clear the radiator (it still needs a little more air in there.) I also swapped the oil pan around to front-sump configuration like the full-size Fords then drilled it for the good old wire axle to make things easy (and cause furrowed brows among fans of "full detail".) Also got rid of the flange on the T-bird air cleaner. Still needs some radiator hoses made. Check it out...

2v2uBBucWxE7U1V.jpg

2v2uBBuhnxE7U1V.jpg

2v2uBBuyqxE7U1V.jpg

2v2uBBJUyxE7U1V.jpg

With a couple elbows of bent styrene I'll get the exhaust hooked up, though it might be cool to add cut-outs for some lake plugs. Yes? 2v2uBBJpGxE7U1V.jpg

I also took a few minutes before The Daily Show to make a bed cover from some "V-groove" styrene. Fortunately the bed is reasonably square!

2v2uBBuuyxE7U1V.jpg

Looking good John. You are sure making me want to drop all of my other projects and start on mine. Must....have....self......control..!

As soon as I finish a couple that I have going I will get onto mine. I will be using your posts as a reference. Thanks.

Later-

Thanks, Tom!  I hear you on the self-control problem – gotta try to keep primary focus on the '58 Fairlane project!

Thanks, Tom!  I hear you on the self-control problem – gotta try to keep primary focus on the '58 Fairlane project!

Yes. Your work on that is amazing. I have an old Edsel and a couple of Tbirds to re work soon but I have my 50 Ford sedan and my 62 Tbird to finish first.

Later-

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I posted this in the "What did you get today?" post a week or so ago but thought I would show a shot or two here. I ordered a resin hood for mine from a guy on FB. He doesn't claim to be great at it and says his castings may need some work, but for $7.95 SHIPPED I figured I'd take a chance. He actually sent me two for that price.

http://IMG_20170926_124509427_HDR.jpg

http://IMG_20170926_124520866_HDR.jpg

http://IMG_20170926_124440434_HDR.jpg

They are not bad. 

Hope you don't mind the hijack.

Later-

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...