Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys...something i am working on

jbwelda

notes: pickup bed has been remade to move wheel opening back as per prototype and also to replace rod with tube on top of wings. roll cage has been completed and currently awaiting some final shaping and semi gloss black paint. floor board completed and in primer awaiting silver paint. body work further along than shown but not by much. this model will be donated to the owner of the real car within a year of completion.

I do not like how all my posts get merged together. did someone think this was a good feature?

real car engine:

airbox 2.JPG

DSCN4687.JPG

thanks folks. Bill all those photos were uploaded to this site instead of being linked to an URL, that feature always worked for me, but I am using MCMs space for storage which is going to be a problem sooner or later.

those photos with the air box, those are kind of old. I have redone the box in thinner material but don't have a photo handy.

thanks again anyone, comments questions criticisms cheerfully accepted

jb

heres what i started with:

two base kits, turns out i am using precious little out of either of them...the starting basis for the chassis and the rear fenders, and the hood with the blower scoop hole filled in:

kqmoqY.jpg

and here was the preliminary layout of the parts i planned on using. Note it is a Drag City resin cast cab that i cut the fenders and nose off of, scratched up a firewall and inner panels, and molded the hood from one or the other of those kits onto it after i had filled the original hole for the blower scoop, to resemble my friends prototype...that scoop you see on top of the hood is really just mounted to the top of the hood...i will have to make some holes to feed my scoop once that is all decided. also note i made my own pickup bed, two of em at this point, to replace that kit one and likewise the floorboard. so, essentially, not much of what you see here made it unscathed into the build so far.

YWTbyW.jpg

comments or questions or even criticisms encouraged! thanks for looking!

jb

>Curious why you went with a risen cab?

well the cab in the kit was pretty well known for its non-accurate features like the rear window, the grille mouth and maybe the side trim, maybe the roof height, etc, so i bought one of those resin cabs some time ago and it was sitting around waiting to be used. my friends prototype has a glass nose, but a metal stock body and it resembles that more than the kit one did but there is one glaring problem: the resin body has a horizontal character line that isn't on my friends car so i am not sure what i am going to do about that...i might leave it as that is how a stock body should look i think but i am very tempted to shave it off. will see when the bodywork phase gets more serious

jb

It must be one of those photo vs. actual car deals, but it appears that the truck in the first photo has been sectioned around 8 -10" just a distortion from the angle? Look closely, you should see what I mean, and it gives the truck a serious attitude, looking at the pictures again it appears that the section job was done along just the lower edges, and is just about the amount of material from the bottom of the grille down. There was a lot of cars done this way back when. The only real work done was to apparently remove the material on the front part of the fenders from just above the curve at the front of the wheel opening, and then molding that part back to the fenders.

Edited by horsepower

all those photos are of the same truck, but what you brought up does make me look at the body closer...appears to me maybe not sectioned so much as the part under the bottom door line has been hacked off and the body channeled over the frame (that part is for sure, it is definitely channeled like crazy to get the body down that close to the ground.

i will have to investigate that...not sure at this point whether i would change horses in midstream, i already told him its not going to be exact, more like an impression of his 1:1, for one thing its going to be a whole lot neater and cleaner! its a race car, not a show car after all. but if i can trim the bottom without messing anything up too much i might do that. the body is still pretty much raw except for my firewall/corner constructions. thanks for pointing that out.

when i started thinking about this car, i had only seen it from the street while passing by. i figured it was a basic gasser, drop front axle but mostly stock underneath. one or other of the available kits and a little kitbashing and it would be done. was soon to find out otherwise so here i am. for instance, had never done a rollcage like that and just figuring his layout out was a major chore, but like a lot of things, take things one at a time and it comes clear eventually.

but as a giveaway, I am hoping to not have to make a career out of it, know what i mean? so if its a little off but still presents a decent image from a ways away, I think I will be happy. and i KNOW dennis will be happy, he is already pretty impressed with what he has seen. he started to assemble that Revell kit some years ago to make a kinda replica, but never got very far with it, too busy winning with his 1:1.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

It looks like it would be a pretty straight forward deal, doing it with styrene would make it a lot easier than metal, trimming the bottom of the cab and back part of the front fenders would be simple, and taking a template on tape, then applying the tape back to the front clip to use as a trim line. A lot of the fender work could probably be accomplished with a sanding stick. The design of the cab should make it easy to just move the interior floor straight up and trimming off the extra length of the firewall and door panels (if using them) to fit. 

This will be a really cool looking truck when it's done, I like all the work you did on the frame, if you can do that, the body mods you canprobably do in your sleep.

Edited by horsepower