Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Lee that I would like to build

Hey guys, I know, I know, everyone is tired of hearing about the General Lee. I've never really been interested in that car very much, but for some reason, it has currently peaked my interest. I would like to build one but I would like it to be as good as possible. My question is, would the Revell 69 Charger be the best kit to use to build the most accurate version? I plan on using the really nice Vector wheels from Fireball Model Works and some aftermarket decals. With this build an accurate General Lee?

Edited by Ben

The '69 Charger from Revell would be a great start except for one thing, it's a vinyl top car. Since the General is a straight hardtop, the BEST way to build it would be to do what I did and get a Revell '68 Charger 2-in-1 and swap out the bodies with a Revell '69, then use all the other '69 parts for the rest.

NOTE: You will still need to source out a pushbar, decent CB radio, antenna, and decals, but there are resources out there to find those. Good luck!

The General 72.JPG

The General 73.JPG

EDIT: Bad pix, I need to take some better photos without the glare....

Edited by Drake69

I saw a General Lee Challenger driving down the street yesterday and thought about doing a build of it . Just wondering if the flag decal from the Charger kit would be to large for the Challenger ?

What year Challenger?  I'll have a Snap GL and a '10 R/T Classic kit at my immediate disposal after work tonight.

I used the Revell 69, AMT wheels and push bar, and aftermarket decals. It is not that hard to sand the vinyl top, maybe 30 minutes of work.

image.jpg

Edited by midnightprowler

I saw a General Lee Challenger driving down the street yesterday and thought about doing a build of it . Just wondering if the flag decal from the Charger kit would be to large for the Challenger ?

What year Challenger?  I'll have a Snap GL and a '10 R/T Classic kit at my immediate disposal after work tonight.

Not sure of the exact year but one of the new ones,

like this download%201.jpg

Edited by Jon Haigwood

Not sure of the exact year but one of the new ones,

like this download%201.jpg

Ok, I'll check after dinner then.

I just saw today, that archer transfers has a new sheet with all different sizes of confederate flag decals

If you dont want to deal with the vinly top, use the 68 body and grill and taillight panel from the 69

I'm just curious... CAN ANYONE ON HERE READ MY POSTS AT ALL?????????????????????

Please let me know.

Edited by Drake69

If you dont want to deal with the vinly top, use the 68 body and grill and taillight panel from the 69

I'm just curious... CAN ANYONE ON HERE READ MY POSTS AT ALL?????????????????????

Please let me know.

Yes I can see therm and have taken note. I do have a Revell 68 2in1 and a General Lee kit to use . I must have missed it but what is the problem/s withe the body in the General Lee kit. They used different cars for the show, is there a particular version to build too?

The General Lee kit is from MPC/AMT/Round 2 and is proportionally different than the Revell kits, so you don't want to use it. Here's what you do....
Take this...
revell-1969-dodge-charger.jpg

And this...
111667-11132.jpg

And swap the bodies between the two. There are NO SIDE MARKERS on the body of the '68 kit, and in many scenes  of the show there aren't any on the General either. Then take the vector wheels from the MPC kit (or from an Eckler Vette, or aftermarket...) and use those. The pushbar in the MPC kit is disproportionate to the Revell cars as well, so check with MoparmanJim on this forum as he used to make really great CB and pushbar stuff, and he's how I got mine.

My build on this subject...

The General Lee kit is from MPC/AMT/Round 2 and is proportionally different than the Revell kits, so you don't want to use it. Here's what you do....
Take this...
revell-1969-dodge-charger.jpg

And this...
111667-11132.jpg

And swap the bodies between the two. There are NO SIDE MARKERS on the body of the '68 kit, and in many scenes  of the show there aren't any on the General either. Then take the vector wheels from the MPC kit (or from an Eckler Vette, or aftermarket...) and use those. The pushbar in the MPC kit is disproportionate to the Revell cars as well, so check with MoparmanJim on this forum as he used to make really great CB and pushbar stuff, and he's how I got mine.

My build on this subject...

Thanks for the info. I still have not read what inaccuracies the MPC kit have to the TV General Lee. 

I saw a General terribleenger driving down the street yesterday and thought about doing a build of it . Just wondering if the flag decal from the Charger kit would be to large for the Challenger ?

I just saw today, that archer transfers has a new sheet with all different sizes of confederate flag decals

I know this is terrible of my Ben...but do you have a link to acher...love your Idea and it will turn out great.I like most of the rest of us watched the dukes. but I've never really wanted to build the general lee.I didn't like the tires or wheels and the antenna, an push bar.I'm going to build a street version of the general lee...same decals,paint color...but a street version.so I'm interested in the decals and where to get them from?..take care dude....Chris 

I saw a General terribleenger driving down the street yesterday and thought about doing a build of it . Just wondering if the flag decal from the Charger kit would be to large for the Challenger ?

I know this is terrible of my Ben...but do you have a link to acher...love your Idea and it will turn out great.I like most of the rest of us watched the dukes. but I've never really wanted to build the general lee.I didn't like the tires or wheels and the antenna, an push bar.I'm going to build a street version of the general lee...same decals,paint color...but a street version.so I'm interested in the decals and where to get them from?..take care dude....Chris 

http://www.archertransfers.com/

I used the Revell 69 (blue on the box) for the ones I've built. I just sanded the top chrome off of it. Of course one of what I built didn't matter much as it was a wrecked General. However the other one is of a pristine built car...

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9269-1.jpg

Some Generals had the vinyl top trim, especially early ones. IIRC the "hero" car always had it, so sanding the texture off the 69 isn't as hard as it would be if you had to take off the trim.  The Fireball Vectors might be a little big, as they are 24th scale. The ones from the General Lee glue kit aren't too bad. You can also find decent Vectors in the AMT Farrah' s Foxy Vette/Eckler' s Corvette and their offspring reissues. Slixx is doing a new GL decal sheet that looks like it'll be good. You'll have to scratch up a decent push bar, there were several variations over the run of the show. 

I wonder if anyone is offering resin copies of the Eckler wheels found in those AMT Corvette kits? Even still, I really want to use those Vectors that Joseph sells as they are just cool as they are with the separate Lugnuts at all! Not to mention very accurate!