Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restored Impala: A fast build.

Lovefordgalaxie

I think everyone is the same when it goes to model building. If you are building them for yourself, you relax, and try to have a good time, but when you are building a kit for someone else, it's like a job, and you try to get the best possible outcome. 

It was like that with my last build, the black '60 Ford. 

Needed something to relax. That something arrived at my door by pure chance last Monday. My friend Enzo decided he won't be building cars anymore, and will dedicate to aircraft modeling only (I know, it must be some kind of mental disorder:P). He also decided to give me a cardboard box full of spare parts for model cars... Bad huh? Among the engines, wheels, tires, bumpers, hoods, there was a sorry looking AMT '64 Impala. I decided to have some leisure time trying to restore it. Among the parts I got from Enzo, and my parts box, I found almost all it was needed to rebuild the Impala. Only couldn't fins four stock wheelcovers, so the resto went on a different way, and I used the "Sombrero" wheels from the AMT 1962 Thunderbird kit as rolling stock. 

Also decided to make use of a super old bottle of Testors "Colors by Boyd Chee Zoom Teal Pearl" and painted the impala with it. 

Started the restoration on Tuesday, and finished today. 

Far from perfect, without much detail, and with a so so paintjob, but I did relax a lot.

Here are the before and after pictures:

19558199944_457b34b8da_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19992785848_64f07694d8_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19559930703_c1ce2600c1_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19559926633_b93f0c6ff7_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

20186513781_833c80eb56_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

20172753542_b17994a5e7_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19559909443_0dfa38da8b_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19994253159_009ab67835_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

20186493561_04ce8e4806_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19994246919_a418a6d742_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

19559897413_17245b3400_c.jpg1964 Impala Restored. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Thank you guys!! 

I was positively surprised about the color. It didn't look so good on the little Testors bottle. 

If you know me, you also know I'm not a fan of wheels bigger than 15" on any car. But, I didn't have the stock wheel covers for the Impala, and this was the nicest complete set I had. The last set of cool wheels and tires I had (Cragars and Firestone Wide Ovals) I installed on the AMT '60 Starliner "masterpiece" model. Oh oh, I not only opened the box, also changed the wheels of the model!!! Not it's worth nothing for a collector!!!

If you believed I'm worried about that I have a bridge to sell you here in my town.

Tulio... I didn't know you could build a model that wasn't a Ford! :lol:

I really like the interior/exterior colors you picked. Beautiful work by you, as always. B)

agreed! also i thought, "whats up? Tulio gone wild with a Non-Ford"?

Tulio, came out great. The wheels are awesome, a must have for me. With this broken fender i think, i throwed it on a junkyard. Nice save!..nice save!

Thanks lads. 

Actually, the fender was the easy part. The hard part was the hood. 

The fender just needed to be unbent with some hot water, and then glued back with a bit of Revell Contacta glue, that bonds the plastic together. After that there weren't barely any spots to sand smooth. The hood by other hand... Had to use body filer and a lot of sanding to get it hole-less again!!