Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Mercury

Helix

I have just posted on the 1964 Mercury post about my best friends dad having Merc. convertibles. His 64 was turquoise and his 1965 was this dark burgundy. It had a white top and white interior like the 64. We treated the 1965 car much kinder cause we were a year older,17. LOL  

Beautiful build. Thanks for the memories.  Azgary  

Pretty basic kit with three options and I enjoyed building it, the only upgrade was using the AMT round 2 white walls. I set the suspension at the custom setting to give it a better looking stance. Testors Burgundy Red Metallic, no clear, just polished like I normally do. Interior is done with Tamiya light sand and of course a fair bit of BMF :D

!

That's really beautiful! I am constantly amazed when I see BMF being used on the trim around the wheel wells... I can just imagine how hard that is - another reason why I've never attempted it! :(

Pretty basic kit with three options and I enjoyed building it, the only upgrade was using the AMT round 2 white walls. I set the suspension at the custom setting to give it a better looking stance. Testors Burgundy Red Metallic, no clear, just polished like I normally do. Interior is done with Tamiya light sand and of course a fair bit of BMF :D

!

That's really beautiful! I am constantly amazed when I see BMF being used on the trim around the wheel wells... I can just imagine how hard that is - another reason why I've never attempted it! :(

Cheers Frank, time consuming and frustrating is all I can say about BMF, I used the 'Ultra Bright Chrome' and I'm not really keen on the stuff because it wrinkles as soon as you peel it off the backing paper making it twice as hard to get the desired result, the old 'New Improved Chrome' I never had a problem with :)

Thanks for the further comments guys, much appreciated!

Cheers Frank, time consuming and frustrating is all I can say about BMF, I used the 'Ultra Bright Chrome' and I'm not really keen on the stuff because it wrinkles as soon as you peel it off the backing paper making it twice as hard to get the desired result, the old 'New Improved Chrome' I never had a problem with :)

I've been using the Ultra Bright, as well, and I never thought it could be the difference between it and the "New improved" chrome. I think they're still selling the previous version... unless the stock is really old and the adhesive is shot, maybe this is my answer, too. Oh and btw, the wrinkling problem can be minimized by the way you pull a strip off - lift straight up and back at an angle. I still haven't completely gotten used to this new way... If I could just remember to use it... ;)

I've been using the Ultra Bright, as well, and I never thought it could be the difference between it and the "New improved" chrome. I think they're still selling the previous version... unless the stock is really old and the adhesive is shot, maybe this is my answer, too. Oh and btw, the wrinkling problem can be minimized by the way you pull a strip off - lift straight up and back at an angle. I still haven't completely gotten used to this new way... If I could just remember to use it... ;)

I would avoid the ultra bright stuff if I were you guys.

Much harder to work with on all counts.

The adhesive is not as strong.

Doesn't conform to compound surfaces as well & harder to cut cleanly. Both attributable to the thickness of it.

Steve

Doesn't conform to compound surfaces as well & harder to cut cleanly. Both attributable to the thickness of it.

It would seem that I am wrong as far as the original stuff's availability - my 2 favorite sources are currently showing it "back-ordered". I'll keep on looking, but who's to say if and when the original stuff comes back, it won't be changed for the worse...

It would seem that I am wrong as far as the original stuff's availability - my 2 favorite sources are currently showing it "back-ordered". I'll keep on looking, but who's to say if and when the original stuff comes back, it won't be changed for the worse...

I usually get mine from Model Roundup, but I do see that they don't have it listed at the moment.

I don't see any listed even on ebay.

I'm sure it must just be production issues.

I have a hard time believing that they would drop their best product.

Good thing I bought extra last time! :)

Steve

I usually get mine from Model Roundup, but I do see that they don't have it listed at the moment.

I don't see any listed even on ebay.

I'm sure it must just be production issues.

I have a hard time believing that they would drop their best product.

Good thing I bought extra last time! :)

I did find one seller on eBay that had the original, but I sent him an email to ask how old his stock was, and to get his opinion on why this one is so hard to find (even out of stock at BM!)

Its funny how you all mention the issues with teh Ultra Bright, ive had the exact same wrinkling problem, the improved chrome is difficult to get over here in the UK, Im starting to wonder if the Matte Aluminum would look better ?

Oh and I also hate foiling wheelarch trims...in fact i normally paint them to be honest.

Sorry Ray pulling your fantastic model off topic here....

Its funny how you all mention the issues with teh Ultra Bright, ive had the exact same wrinkling problem, the improved chrome is difficult to get over here in the UK, Im starting to wonder if the Matte Aluminum would look better ?

Oh and I also hate foiling wheelarch trims...in fact i normally paint them to be honest.

Sorry Ray pulling your fantastic model off topic here....

No drama mate, good to hear I'm not the only one who's not happy with Ultra Bright :lol:

And thanks for your comment Jonathan :)

• 4 weeks later...