Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scale Jolly Rancher Stagecoach Wheelstander - Update 11/7/2015

Mooneyzs

Thanks Guys.....

So for the past 4 hours I have been sitting at the bench cutting and sanding materials to start getting the chassis together. I figured I need to take a break since I need some food and here is what things look like so far. I will be back at the bench Soldering the frame up shortly...so stay tuned.....

JRSC-010-1_zpscysusoqs.jpg

What a nice clean bench you have there Chris B)

Paul...  Thanks you. Yes this miter box isn't so easy with brass... lmao.. I do have an aluminum miter box that I use but it only has 45 and 90 degree cuts and I picked this Midwest Easy Miter Box up last weekend so I could do the cuts for this chassis.

Clayton... Thank you. I will be jumping back and forth between the funny car and this build. Would be awesome if you could make it out the next Desert Scale Classic here

Ok Fellas.... So this evening I sat down and started to Solder the chassis up. Well I didn't get as much done as I thought... Took me 2 hours to get done what you see here.....

JRSC0111-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hi Chris,  SOOOOOOOO glad to see you back at the bench.  And I don't care what you're making.  Your chassis is off to a rocking start and can't wait to see your other touches.  Cool to see the 3 different concepts you've each adopted and your respective fabricating methods to make them happen.  Best of luck with the rest of the build and thanks for sharing.  Cheers, Tim

Clayton... Thank you. It was funny getting that frame side together.

Tim.. Thank you so much. It felt really good to be back at the bench from being gone from it for a little wile. I wanted to challenge myself to use brass on this one. It is actually for me to practice for the next build or two that I would like to do in brass...lol

Brad... Thank you my friend. A few of the joints I got a little more solder on them than I wanted so I ended up sanding them down. Was a little tricky. with how big the areas are to heat up with the solder gun. I think today I may try a bigger tip to see if that helps at all with the heat distribution. My plan was to of gotten the other side done yesterday and the cross members added as well but IT took me longer to get the first side soldered together than I thought. So I should be finishing up the other side and the cross members today. I will then maybe start on the cage but was thinking of bouncing back over to the funny car. to do some work on a fix that I need to do with the body tin.

So I finished up the main frame just now. Pretty happy with how it turned out. its not perfect but good enough for me at this point. Next I will either tinker on the roll cage or start hacking the body up. Not sure at the moment but I was also thinking of making the Aluminum floor. Here are the shots of the chassis so far....

Here is the chassis in its glory.... It still needs a little clean up:

JRSC0121-vi.jpg

Bottom Side:

JRSC0131-vi.jpg

Top Side:

JRSC0151-vi.jpg

Front:

JRSC0161-vi.jpg

Rear:

JRSC0171-vi.jpg

Joints upclose:

JRSC0191-vi.jpg

JRSC0201-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

N-I-C-E !!!   That does it for you now, welcome to fully certifiable "metal madness".  Joints look good, design is cool and you knocked it out very quickly, what more could you ask for.  I'm sure you're psyched up for the next step now.   Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Clayton... Thank you. I took extra time to ensure that things were lined up properly before I soldered...lol

Dale... Thank you.

Joe... I sure am... just wait until my next update.

Danno... Gracias Amigo!!

Brent... Thanks. I drew it all up in Solidworks and detail the drawings so I had something to work from

Tim... Thank you so much. I am totally stoked how its coming a long. Although I want to design a tube notcher for the brass tubes so I don't have to file them by hand with a file... That was a pain in the butt. I have had this miniature notcher in the back of my mind for a while now. But I have to admit that its pretty fun to play with brass.

Ben... Thank you

Bill... Thank you. Also thanks for asking the question on how I went about measuring things.  I started out with a side view of the wheel stander and from Ed Jones telling me that the wheel base was 119". That was my starting point. I printed the side view pic out on an 11x17 sheet of paper and from there I took many measurements with my Calipers on the drawing, writing down the measurements. After getting all the measurements I wanted I then converted those measurements into what they would be in a calculation. So as you can see below what I have called out as a basic dimension the 11.130"  that was equivalent to the 119" wheel base. I did all of my calculations based from that and it gave me the dimensions. I did have to make a few assumptions because I didn't have pics showing every detail of the frame. I used the pics I had the best i could see things. Here is a shot of the measurements I took on paper. If you would like I could show you a pic of the equation that I used, just let me know:

JRSC0061-vi.jpg

Art... Thank you

Dave... Thank you

Scott... Thanks buddy!!

Ok Fellas... I am working on getting some pics uploaded at the moment and will have a pretty good update for all of you so stay tuned...

Edited by Mooneyzs

Alright Fellas.. I have a pretty big update to share with you. Please forgive me if some of the pics look crappy some were taken with my cell phone. Bear with me me I have a bunch to upload and they will be uploaded in separate posts.... I won't keep you guys waiting anymore, here are some pics......

I had started with making a template from a 3x5 card for the floor pan:

JRSC0211-vi.jpg

I made the floor pan from K&S Aluminum .010" Sheet. I scuffed it with scotch-brite in one direction to give it a brushed aluminum look:

JRSC0231-vi.jpg

Here it is sitting in the frame:

JRSC0221-vi.jpg

Next up is the Roll Cage. I went back and did a quick detail drawing of all of the components so I knew sizes and lengths to cut my parts. Printed the drawing out 1:1 so I could place my parts over to make sure I had bent the to the correct sizes:

JRSC0241-vi.jpg

Here was the start of the roll cage with the main hoop and the rear supports:

JRSC0251-vi.jpg

Here is the main bottom portion of the cage done:

JRSC0261-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is the main roll cage bottom portion off of the frame:

JRSC0281-vi.jpg

Here is the mock up of the Roll Cage, getting things in place. In this pic these parts are just place for reference only at the moment prior to soldering:

JRSC0291-vi.jpg

Here I have more mocked up before soldering. As you can see here the main hoop still needed to be trimmed down:

JRSC0321-vi.jpg

JRSC0311-vi.jpg

Here I was trying to get the start of the hoop set for when I soldered it:

JRSC0331-vi.jpg

Here is a few pieces of the roll cage soldered into place:

JRSC0341-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs