Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scale Jolly Rancher Stagecoach Wheelstander - Update 11/7/2015

Mooneyzs

Well Fellas… I wanted to give a little sneak peak of my next upcoming project which I have been debating on starting so it will give me something to work on when I get a little burnt from time to time on the Funny Car.  I have seen a few wheel stander models people have built but I have never seen anyone do the Jolly Rancher Stagecoach. Growing up around Drag Racing in California I saw this vehicle many times and it was my favorite wheel stander off all time. As a kid I loved when they would be towing the car back on the return road and they would throw Jolly Rancher candy out so us kids could get it. I thought it was totally cool. Ed "The Outlaw" Jones is still taking the Stagecoach wheel Stander around to different events, although it is now under the sponsorship of Jelly Belly.

Anyway I had been running this idea around it my head a little more after I saw on ebay some stagecoach kits in 1/16th scale which got the ball rolling even more for me. All the kits I keep looking at the sellers wanted so much money for them. And one day I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up and bough the kit just to use for the body portion for the stagecoach. After I had gotten the kit in hand I had run the idea past John Teresi and told him about wanting to do this build and he thought it would be so cool. He mentioned to me that he had always wanted to do some sort of stagecoach himself. I told him you know what we should do is a double twins build and you should build the Jelly Belly Version. I showed it to him and he told me "how about if I (John) do one similar to the Jolly Rancher but a little different because I (John) don't want to copy exactly what you are doing. He said…. "I would like to add my own twist to it, I will use a little different style motor and then I will do a custom paint job." I told him that I thought that would be a totally cool build. In the back of my mind I was thinking that this would be so cool for us to do a Twins build and told him that he needed to build one with me. He kept telling me "if you aren't ok with me doing one just let me know and I won't do it." I told him John… I don't mind at all and I really think it would be totally cool to do these at the same time.

So in the meantime I had mentioned this build I wanted to do to another one of my model buddies that I have gotten to know over the past few years. Some of you may know of him, His name is Mike Garland and goes by Magic Photos here. He told me that he may know someone that may have Ed Jones number.  He was able to get Ed's number for me and he talked to Ed and Ed told him to have me get a hold of him and he would be more than willing to help with any info he could. So since then I have talked to Ed a few times and he is a pretty busy guy this time of year. I have emailed him with a list of questions in regards to some specific details of the vehicle and currently am waiting on a response to the questions and also in hopes that he will be able to take some pics of details and send to me as well. I am hoping he can get to them soon as I would like to start tinkering on this build.

Here is a pic of the Jolly Rancher Wheel Stander:

JollyRancher3-vi.jpg

You can find Johns Awesome build  here:

Click here to got to John Teresi's Stagecoach build Progress

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here is the kit that I got off ebay so I can rob the body from it as a starting point:

JRSC-002-1_zps9o5p1txn.jpg

Here I am using a printed out image to get some reference dimensions from. I knew that the wheel base of this vehicle is 119". So I first stated by measuring the distance of the wheel base on the drawing  which is the 11.130 number you see. I then measured all the different things that I wanted measurements for. After getting all of my measurements. I used an equation and did calculations for all of the dimensions to get everything sized to 1/16th scale:

JRSC-003-1_zpsibp2hium.jpg

Here you can see all of my mark ups I made when I measured with my calipers and then did the calculations on a separate sheet:

JRSC-005-1_zps63fhe56z.jpg

Here is a shot of the Body which is going to get cut up, Chopped, Narrowed.... the whole 9 yeards... lol  As well as some of the Brass material I will be using for the chassis. I have decided that I am going to make the chassis completely out of brass and should be a fun challenge:

JRSC-007-1_zpsmk7nxyib.jpg

Ok Fellas.... I am sure that everyone has been wondering when I would show some progress on the Vega Funny Car. I have sorta stuck it on the back burner to get some deign work done on this first. I want to show you all some progress on this build. Well its not actual building progress but more of a Design progress. I have been drawing up the frame in my CAD system and I have it at a point where I am willing to share a little bit of the progress. I have got the basic frame design done other than I now need to work on the roll cage of it. But anyway here are some images from the CAD system to share... hope you enjoy....

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ok Fellas.... I am sure that everyone has been wondering when I would show some progress on the Vega Funny Car. I have sorta stuck it on the back burner to get some deign work done on this first. I want to show you all some progress on this build. Well its not actual building progress but more of a Design progress. I have been drawing up the frame in my CAD system. I have got the basic frame design done other than I now need to work on the roll cage of it. But anyway here are some images from the CAD system to share... hope you enjoy....

Here is an Isometric view of the chassis:

JRSCHASSIS-vi.jpg

Here is a Side View:

JRSCHASSIS1-vi.jpg

Top View:

JRSCHASSIS4-vi.jpg

Front View:

JRSCHASSIS2-vi.jpg

Rear View:

JRSCHASSIS3-vi.jpg

Here is a side view with a ruff shape of the side of the body. What you see in the orange is the side of the stagecoach body that is from the kit. And the Blue is the side of the actual car. So as you can see the body will need to be chopped, sectioned and shorted:

JRSCHASSIS5-vi.jpg

Here it is with just the chopped body:

JRSCHASSIS6-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Welll Fellas... Here is more work on what I got accomplished today. I still have a little more design work I would like to do to the chassis but Here is some updated progress on it.

Here is what I will call a big update with the roll cage, the floor and seat. The seat was a model that I had downloaded from one of my cad sources that I know of where people share their designs and people can download them:

JRSCHASSIS7-vi.jpg

Top view. There is still more work needed to the V-Drive unit that I designed and I need make the mounting bar a little better than what you see here:

JRSCHASSIS9-vi.jpg

Side View:

JRSCHASSIS8-vi.jpg

Front View:

JRSCHASSIS11-vi.jpg

Side view with the body:

JRSCHASSIS10-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Clayton.... Thanks my friend. This should be a very fun build. Lately even though I have been itching to work on the funny car but I go thru moments where I have burnt myself out on it. I am looking forward to trying some new things on this one. As example doing an all brass chassis. Its definitely a build you don't see everyday...lol

John... My Brother... what can I say but Thanks!! I have been really looking forward to us building these. It is going to fun doing these together. B) :D

Hey Chris this is going to be pretty cool...I had thought about doing one also after seeing that kit like 2 years ago.  I have seen it a few time as well  I even have a few picture of it somewhere when it was here at Firebird.  I will be following along for sure to see what you and John come up with.