Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Scale Jolly Rancher Stagecoach Wheelstander - Update 11/7/2015

Mooneyzs

There's almost more of the body laying on the workbench as there is glued together over the frame. Nice work my friend. Those missing areas that have the curved body lines on the lower corner of the windows look like they'll be a challenge but probably not for a body man such as yourself.

Edited by gasser59

Joe... Thank you very much Sir. I am glad to hear that seeing what I have done has given you some inspiration to finally get back to the bench on yours.

Tim... Thank you. There is still some more work and I actually can't wait to work on it today. It should be fun

Ray... Thank you very much. I am pleased with how its working out and wasn't sure how well things were gonna line up when I cut the sides down in multiple pieces...lol

Brad... Thank you. I have to admit that I was amazed at how much plastic I actually removed and to think there will be more to take off.  I have to agree with your that those ares will be a challenge with the curves but after thinking and looking at things, I may just shave all of the raised areas off on the inner portion of the body and just completely redo what I call the trim lines.

John... Thank you. Although I wish I could build fast like you. But this little guy is slow at times....lol

Dave... Thank you

Clayton... Thank you. I will be glad when I get to a point where I can add body filler because then that would be I will be close to primer time...lol

Scott... Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words. I have to admit that it has been fun cutting this body down. Not sure if its because the change of pace, just working on something other than the chassis. Don't get me wrong doing the brass work has been fun and I fell that with the more practice that Its becoming a little easier and I am sharpening my skills at it. Although I am no expert by any means...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well Fellas.... Its that time again for another little update. I have been getting a little time here and there but not as much as I have been wanting to lately but I got some work done on the windows of the coach body and figured I was overdue for an update... lol. Here we go....

I started out by figuring out what size I needed to make for the window and made a template from a 3x5 card:

JRSC1471-vi.jpg

As you can see here I had to modify the body and remove some more of the kits plastic to get the shape correct for the window area:

JRSC1491-vi.jpg

Up next was to finish cutting the other side out. Also you can see that I made the window areas with some evergreen styrene sheets:

JRSC1551-vi.jpg

Here is both of the sides with the windows glued in place. I had to do the same to the other side and cut and remove parts of the body for the window treatment:

JRSC1601-vi.jpg

Here is the body taped on for another test fit:

JRSC1701-vi.jpg

As you can see here I removed material from the front of the body which will be the area that the driver will see thru while down on all 4 wheels:

JRSC1711-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

John... Thanks brother... It feels good to be back at the Bench.

Clayton... Thank you very much. You definitely need to go thru that stuff and use what you can for helping with your builds.

Dan... Thank you very much.

Joe.... I am a little confused what you mean by the belt line details?? if you are talking about the side molding that was molded in to the body, That was a planned moved to sand it down. My next step is to sand the rest of the side molding's down and then I will be redoing all of that molding. You will get a better idea of what I am doing once I start to redo it.

Doi. Here I go again "assuming." When you first mentioned chopping it, I was looking at ways to do it that would allow you to save the side molding. My concern was that you would have to replace it if you did the chop lower, as opposed to higher.

It didn't occur to me that you might be getting rid of it. But, that's what got stuck in my head.

Next time I'll disguise some of my minions to impersonate some of your minions so that they can infiltrate your fortress, steal the plans, then I'll know your evil intentions.

Or I could just ask you if you're going to replace them. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Joe.... it all changed once the lenght of the body wass shortened. Plus after studying pics of the real car that when i noticed the molding lines were thinner than what was on the kits body.  So I decided that i would sand the sides smooth and make all new trim moldings for it. Hopefully it turns oit the way I want.

I feel for you Chris.  You did such a good job on the major modifications but it's always something else that you don't see at the time that just make it that much more challenging.  YOU will get it right, of that I have no doubt.  It's shaping up well especially considering all the changes you've made to it so far.  Keep at it dude.  Cheers

Tim... Thank you. I also have to say that I think it will look better doing it this way that I am going to attempt. But we shall see. I still have another trick up my sleeve for something else I am going to do to the body.

Dave... Thank you very much. It still has a ways to go...lol

Jamie... Thank you very much. It is definitely a different type of build... lol

So I have been getting some more bench time here and there this past week and after getting the windows in it was time to sand off all of the kits side molding and add the new molding. I am getting closer but not 100% done. I have have a few more pieces to add to the one that is almost done and then I need to do the same to the other side panel. Here are a couple of pics.

Here I have sanded all of the side molding off:

JRSC1741-vi.jpg

Next I actually glued some styrene pieces to the body to use as a pre-body filler to fill a few gaps. I forgot to take a pic after I glued the pieces on but what you see here is after I had sanded the pieces all down:

JRSC1761-vi.jpg

In this pic you can see the trim that I have added to the side panel on the left and the one on the right still needs to be done:

JRSC1801-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs