Model Cars Magazine Forum

HAMS Model car Contest Houston 8/1/2015

Len Woodruff

Your fast with those photos, Len. I still haven't put the results up on our web site, yet.:D

Thanks for sharing your photos, and thank for attending. Thanks to everyone who participated. We had 44 modelers enter 167 models. A great turnout. I'll let y'all know when the complete results are online later this week.

Thank you for posting the photos

I have never been to a model show before and it was interesting, for me, to see the spec entry sheet as well as the model. Some have it filed out very detailed and neatly while others have almost no info. Must be interesting to judge. I would like to know what they look for and if a detailed well written entry sheet makes that little smidge of difference for a prize winner. Such a subjective evaluation it would seem.

I know I am brutal when I am reviewing resumes for positions in my office....the written document is a huge first impression on me.

Anyways, thanks for the link, maybe I need to get out more and see a show or two

I have never been to a model show before and it was interesting, for me, to see the spec entry sheet as well as the model. Some have it filed out very detailed and neatly while others have almost no info. Must be interesting to judge. I would like to know what they look for and if a detailed well written entry sheet makes that little smidge of difference for a prize winner. Such a subjective evaluation it would seem.

I'll speak only for IPMS style shows, of wnitch the HAMS show is one. The most important thing the judges are looking for is cleanliness of the build - no glue marks, fingerprints, scratches, visible seams (that don't belong), etc. Next is the extra work that is done. Filling out the sheet is quite handy for the judges. They may not know or be able to tell if something is included in the kit or was scratchbuilt. Are the graphics handpainted or decals. That kind of thing. For full IPMS judging criteria, see the IPMS Judging Handbook. Individual IPMS shows may vary from this, but this is the basis.

And thank you, Scott, for coming all the way from the Great White North to participate in our show. I hope it was worth the trip. (I assume you did more just visit our show, but thank you just the same.)

Great show Mike. Thanks to you and the HAMS members.

You're quite welcome, Len. And thank you to you and the other modelers who attended and entered. Without the attendees and entrants, there is no show.

I was quite impressed with the overall quality of the entries this year. We used 3 judging teams (instead of 2) for the first time this year, and I'm glad we did. We've had more entries in the past, but not this many being that good.

Mike

Thanks to you, Mike and your guys and girls in the HAMS group.....I really enjoyed the show.....I hated I couldn't attend the Model Mania show and just HAD to get to this one.....Took a little convincing of the wife, but she knew I really wanted to go.....And I'm so glad I did.....

I was really impressed at the turn out for this event, as well....Especially for the trucks.....I really didn't think I had any chance of placing with ANY of the models I brought, they were so good.....Of course I had no real idea of the criteria except to build the cleanest model I could, and I guess it paid off....The race hauler that I worked on the hardest and had the most fun with, didn't even place.... :D ...But, I thank you guys, so much either way....You guys had a hard job......I really didn't expect to bring anything home......There were SO many good models, there......How do you choose.......And I had a BLAST looking at all those awesome models.....

Dan and Dave had some really awesome stuff.....Pictures don't do them justice.....I loved their work......Absolutely loved it....

It really helps to bring home a little hardware for the wife to see, by the way....Seriously......It really does a lot....

I also would like to thank the vendors that come out to sell their wares......There was so much stuff, there.....I did really good and didn't spend a whole lot, but I got cards from a few of them, so I'll be contacting those select people when I DO get some more money.....

I gotta tell ya.....Y'all put on a great show.....I mean, really....It was a GREAT show.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Glad to hear you had a great time, JT. It's always good to know that everyone enjoyed themselves. After all, if the attendees don't, they won't come back, and then there will be no show.

I was quite impressed with the quantity & quality of the big trucks this year. As a category, it seems to have taken off in the last couple of years

Hope to see you next year and hope you can make Modelmania next year. It isn't all cars (obviously) but it is the second biggest model show in Texas after San Antonio's ModelFiesta. And trust me, we (I'm also a member of IMS-Houston) are trying to make it #1.

Mike