Model Cars Magazine Forum

How About Some Light Commercial?

Tom Geiger

I've always said that diecast vehicles are nothing more than a starting point for a model I want to build.  So whenever I see a decent diecast truck that isn't available in plastic,  I grab it up. It can be displayed as-is for now, but is always available to me as something to be stripped down and done as a truck I want for my shelf!   Many of these are currently in storage, so I may have the manufacturers wrong, so feel free to correct me!

red_front-vi.jpg

I believe this is a Jada. I have two of this original issue, that has all the stock parts.  I've taken a blue one apart for parts, the entire bed assembly is plastic and will appear on a model. I had sent off the factory correct wheels / tires to Al Raab for casting.  

MVC008S-vi.jpg

1941 Plymouth Pickup - This one has appeared under a couple of different company names, most recently as a Motormax Walmart special along with a plastic camper shell that looks totally wrong on this truck. This no doubt was copied from the Danbury Mint vehicle.  1941 Dodge panel van - Johnny Lightning Release,  I believe our friend Art had a hand in this one.

MVC004S-vi.jpg

MVC020S-vi.jpg

Look twice on the above two photos... they are not the same vehicle. We didn't get the second generation Chrysler minivans in plastic, but we did get them in scale! One is a Dodge Caravan and the other is a Plymouth Voyager.

DSC00016-vi.jpg

1950 Ford Step Van.... was produced with many different company colors.  The year of this van can be changed by simply changing the grill.  I'm planning on one of these becoming a 1953 model.

IMG_2211-vi.jpg

Modern cars really didn't get kitted often, so here's a pair of diecast Pontiac Vibes by Road Signature. I got the blue one at Good Will for $2

IMG_2214-vi.jpg

And would you believe that two different companies went after the mid 50s Internationals?  The van is a FIrst Gear, which also did a window van, while the pickup was done by Liberty Classics.  I can just hear the, "No thanks! I'll wait for plastic!"  Yea, that'll be some wait.

IMG_2221-vi.jpg

And here's the pair First Gear did for NAPA,  an International Metro van!   Just a few of the many diecast in my collection that we probably will never see as a plastic kit. So why not buy them, either display them or pry them apart as the basis for your next model project.  Note that the entire model car hobby got started by a few guys who were prying open 1950s promotional models, so the hobby has come full circle!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Those are all really cool!

Too bad some people don't consider diecasts to be "real" models. Their loss... they have no idea what a wide variety of cool subjects are available.

You are correct Harry.  I'm one of the serious diecast fans and actually get more enjoyment altering one than building a kit from start.  With about 40000 pcs, I have plenty to play with.  At least a few of the resin bodies out there have been cast off of diecast models.

Tom, I think the Chevy wrecker is Saico. I have a couple stashed here somewhere for the beds. Like you I also  have a few of the panels and step vans. The First Gear trucks are real nice. 

I saw a 1960 Ranchero today by MoterMax that looked pretty good. It measured about 8in long. 

Edited by AzTom

DSC00114-vi.jpg

Here's a pair of metal Explorers we never got in plastic...  I believe these were Maisto.  

DSC00022-vi.jpg

The Ironsides Ford van.. only NOT in 1/20 scale. These appeared at Walmart for a blink of the eye!

MVC001F-vi.jpg

And a pair of Jeeps! I bid low on two at the same time and got lucky. I reasoned that I'd resell one... then I got them and loved the colors! 

MVC006F-vi.jpg

And while on the subject of Jeep... a decent starting point for any Jeep model. I believe this one is Ertl.

mamas_buy_pictures032-vi.jpg

While not light commercial, I liked this one a whole lot. I believe it's Maisto. And for $10 I had to have it. If car companies were doing promotional models today, they'd look like this!  Highly detailed diecast, it's the available technology.

MVC003F-vi.jpg

And since we have driven this train off track from light commercial, I'll share this trio.  It's a Pontiac Solstace,  Saturn Sky and Opel GT, the version GM sold in Europe.  Yup, the only Opel ever made in the USA and shipped off to Europe!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I've bought about 15 diecast cars so far to fill in "holes" in my 1950's car collection for cars that aren't or weren't made in kit form, and there are quite a few that I still want to get as funds permit.   I haven't put my own "personal touch" on all of them yet but will eventually get around to doing that.  In some cases I've picked up diecasts of cars that I really didn't have a desire to build a kit of..... yeah, you can call it "cheating"...... so shoot me:lol:.

Ah the Yorkshire BTL trucks!  The Bell Telephone Pioneers Club was a group of retirees who did social services. My wife worked for AT&T and the Pioneers often had tables of items for sale as fund raisers, and they had Yorkshire do the series of trucks for them.  So I believe I have the whole set, as my wife would bring me home the new ones as they came out around Christmas time,  kinda like Hess Trucks.

Hosted on Fotki

They called this the delivery truck, first of the series in 1983.

Here's the Lineman Model A. This was number 2 in the series, dated 1984.

Pole digger Dodge Power Wagon. Number 3 dated 1985 This one is a bit small. Guess they did it box scale.

The Model T platform truck Tom Az showed was Number 4 dated 1986.  The platform actually telescoped on this one. This and the Power Wagon were the coolest of the series.

This is pretty much the same as your covered truck with the side curtains, but issued as Number 5 in 1987, your truck was Number 6 in 1988. And I believe that was the end of the line. 

The BTL Pioneers also commissioned Ertl to do that Bell Telephone version of the old Model T van with the black and white image on the box.  Lore is that the people who did the order for the Pioneers didn't understand it was a kit, and Ertl got stuck with a bunch of them. Which is why those are plentiful to this day.

Some or all (I don't know) were also done in red paint for Bell Canada.  I've seen them but don't own any.

Yorkshire also did... (I'm not sure if these were done as fund raisers or just for public sale)

Model A mail truck. 

Hosted on Fotki

Model TT Tank Truck. This one is generic and the box is marked "Ninth Edition" so who knows how many Yorkshire models I've missed.

A few words. These are a bit crude both in casting and finish, but are cool in their own right. Don't be spending big money on these, they appear regularly on eBay pretty cheap... they also appear at $50 or more!    

And a reward for those who stuck with us... bit-0-trivia... our own Dean Milano once worked for Yorkshire!

I took the Maisto 2010 F-150 XLT and "downgraded" it to a base-model XL. I used wheels and tires from the Revell Expedition SSV... incorrect for that application, but just the ticket here, and a scratchbuilt center bench. 

The untouched factory example is on the left in this pic-

Nice job Chuck.

Tom, I think I had them all as well plus a white one that had no markings. I sold most of them off, being lucky to get $15.00ea. As crude as they are they were considered pretty good back in the day.

How about a big truck. Ertl 1/25

Bank-Ertl-Budweiser-54-GMC-Black 27170-LS

1/25 Dually. I think this one is Brookfield

Alliance-Chevy-Dually-D Setzer-LF

Brookfield-Dupont-J.Gordan-1993-LF.JPG

SpecCast 1/25 F-350 Ford

SPC-Ford-F350-Dually-Blu 52508-LF

SpecCast 34 Ford in 1/25

SPC-JD-34-Ford-Stake-Trk 89000-RF

ScecCast 1/25 57 Chevy stake, came with a lawn tractor

Bank-SPC-JD-57-Chevy-Mower 78019-LF

Once again... people who dismiss diecasts as "unworthy" are missing out on a treasure trove of fine models... most of which they will never see in plastic kit form. Their loss.

BTW... Chuck, your "downgraded" F150 will be in a future edition of the mag... B)

I have long been a believer in diecast conversion, especially where no subject exists in plastic or resin.  Here is a Matchbox Collectables 1946 Dodge Power Wagon

My hometown had a 1927 American La France pumper.  As there were no kits available, I took a 1/24 Yat Ming diecast and modified it.  This is early on in the project.  A twin replica is being constructed as a gift to the fire company who celebrates their 125th anniversary this year!

I have several more that I will post in separate threads...

David

• 3 weeks later...

Another First Gear Metro van in 1/25 with opening side and rear doors.

This is like the Mack Roadrunner mentioned. First Gear in 1/25 scale with opening hood and doors.

Dodge van by First Gear in 1/25 scale. 

You can click on the photos to go to my fotki page and see more photos of these trucks.

You certainly will not hear any gripes about die cast from me! I have a pretty extensive collection myself, mostly tractors and ag equipment, but I also have plenty of trucks and Nascar also.

A work in progress combining a Jada tow truck bed and an Ertl '57 Chevy 2 ton truck

Bill,  Those Olivers are my favorite. You know Scale Models made the one you have in 1/25 also. 

I like the tow truck. Would like to see a WIP here on that one. 

Here's one I did several years ago. This on is 1/34. The bed is First Gear and the truck is SpecCast. 

I might have to see if I can find one of those 1/25 Olivers. Finding any 1/25 scale tractor is hard enough, I'm more than willing to use die cast if I have to.

The tow truck is somewhat stalled at the moment, other projects have taken priority. It is currently sitting in primer, and I have modified the bed so it sits better on the chassis.