Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is 0.07 MPa enough for siphon fed airbrush?

How much is that in PSI (pounds per square inch)? You can get by with as little as 20 PSI or a bit less, though it's nice to have up to 35 PSI on hand if you need it.

That's just a little over 10psi... not really enough for most of our work... imo...

Thanks for the reply guys, maybe I should replace my compressor..

Well, the need for more pressure would mainly be apparent if you're trying to spray really heavy paints, like most acrylics. If you're always spraying lacquers, which you can really reduce without damaging the paint's chemistry, you may never need the extra pressure. I would suggest you keep using your current compressor until you come to a paint that simply refuses to atomise. :o

7-10 PSI is great if you are spraying stripes on.  It will take a while but you will have almost no edge on your stripes.

I normally use around 20 PSI. I'll play with it the next time I airbrush but I have never used 30 PSI on a model. 

Also, for whatever it's worth, the airbrush you linked to is siphon feed, not gravity.

If that is the case, you can expect more demands from your compressor, since it takes more juice to get the paint up that tube and into the atomizing chamber...

Sorry for the confusion, it is siphon fed.

Glad to help. I had a very similar airbrush at one time, and it seemed to work just fine for area coverage, if sufficient pressure was available. Like many here, I started out with the compressed air cans, but that got expensive quick, so as soon as was doable, I bought myself a small compressor, and have since moved on to a 20lb CO2  tank.