Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a difference in Revell Ferrari 458 kits?

slegacy05

The top one is typical of the Revell of Germany edition, while the bottom is the typical Revell version.

Thanks, is anyone better than the other or are they pretty much the same? Also I plan on buying the photo etch kit for this model, will it work the same on both?

Edited by slegacy05

The plastic is identical, so the etch will work equally well with either. I'd look for the box that's least likely to have broken parts in it -- or check inside before you leave the shop! Unfortunately, it's hard to know which one that is: my RoG box had a cracked main windscreen, and I've heard of other builders who found the same. But I've also heard lots of criticism on this board of the way some of those Revell Germany originated kits are stuffed/shoehorned into the standard US Revell box resulting in crushed and broken parts, especially fragile A-pillars.

If you can possibly buy it in the real world, I would: remember, your retailer is the first port of call if there IS a problem, so it's in their interests to let you check the kit before you pay for it...

bestest,

M.

... 'cos the US one has pre-broken parts that have to be glued back together before you can use them? ;-P

Seriously, I don't know WHY they are different, but you can see the instructions including sprue layouts for the Revell AG one here:

http://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/67141_%23BAU_458_ITALIA.PDF

and the Revell US equivalent here:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4912.pdf

The stages of the instructions are identical, as are the diagrams.

The US one doesn't have a sprue diagram, but has a named list of part numbers which only runs to Part 111 (the Cavallino for the front, in both cases, in case you were wondering...). Revell DE doesn't count the tyres in their 111 parts.  I guess if you count the tyres, the decal sheet, the instructions, the warning sheet and the two box halves, you get to "118+"

bestest,

M.

General footnote -

'Member the Fujimi and Revell 430s, where the Japanese kit wiped the floor with the German one and then Fujimi's Scuderia trounced them both?

Yeah... NO, this time around.  One might swipe the wheel and tire package from the Fujimi kit, but Revell's 458 is otherwise far more complete all-'round.  If you can find a US version intact, it should come in all-white plastic instead of white & gray as in the RoG.  That and some decal variations are probably the chief differences between the two Revell boxings, and maybe price - usually cheaper stateside for the US version, depending on the vendor.

All I can say is; I built the U.S. kit and enjoyed it except for the fact that the engine cover frame was slightly warped and the window didn't fit but Revell sent me a new one.  They also informed me that the kit was out of production.