Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help identifying wheels

Hi all, These wheels are from the AMT Mustang Funny Car kit that was recently re-issued. Which type of 1:1 wheels are they supposed to represent? There is a molded in texture on the spokes that I'm taking to mean they should be painted (?) If so a shade of gray? Thanks.

wheel1.jpg

hi gene....back in the 60s and part way thru the 70s, Cragar made wheels identical to their common chrome s/s wheel we all know and love, but with light texturing on the spokes, painted flat black,,,and called Cragar GTs, usually aluminum, but I have seen chrome around the lip area as well.....some versions were copied by other generic wheel makers, painting the spokes in a dark gray and darker gunmetal colors too. that's what these model wheels represent...hope this helps, best always...the ace...:D

Edited by AC Norton
text

Gene, personally i would mix some gun metal and aluminum brush paint....maybe a tiny dash of gold thrown in,,,then a slash of Humbrol dullcote, and play around until you get a dark, dull tone, just north of black a little....just a thought.....the ace....:)