Model Cars Magazine Forum

Countersinks for Plastic?

Various ball cutters from Dremel make great countersinks in brass, ally and plastic. I use them in a regular variable speed drill.

Thanks Cato, I have a ton of dremel equipment and never thought of using the ball ends

Edited by John Clutch

There are also tapered/pointed end bits for Dremels

Yep, if the material is thick enough, the tapered grinding bits should work fine.

I was kinda wondering that myself. I also do woodworking, which sometimes calls for countersinking (typically 1/8" or so) so I was curious how thick the plastic being used was. I've used .040" recently and would never dream of countersinking that.

When possible, I would like to use flat head screws to hold certain assemblies together that can be hidden later. Like holding radiator to the radiator support or something like that.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now on the Rolls with 00-90 screws. Made the countersinks in the (thin) steel hinges with the above Dremel small ball cutter.

I use just a regular drill bit when a countersink is needed ... it's a rare occasion for me though.

For real tiny screws, I agree, a bit in a pin vise should be adequate.

But not for metal hinges.

For sure not in metal!  :o