Model Cars Magazine Forum

2004 Harley Davidson Road King, Electra Glide and Road King Classic

So, I haven't built a Motorcycle since I was a kid and usually made a mess of them. This is an out of production Testors Lincoln Mint Ultra Metal Series 1/6 2004 Harley Davidson Road King FLHRI. This thing is large and heavy. It was used and opened when I won it at auction, but I got it cheap and it was complete. Overall it was straight built from the box. Some holes had to be enlarged and some were off center. For some reason, the front fender marker lens was tinted red. I stripped it with alcohol and re-stained. The Instructions were vague and I had to look at on line pics to determine build sequence. Here it is, pictures aren't great, but you c see it.

IMG_0044_zpshj1cb0je.jpg

IMG_0043_zpswdrce0ny.jpg

IMG_0042_zps0fyfjwbl.jpg

IMG_0045_zpslqccgopy.jpg

IMG_0041_zpswkcyptjm.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I built another one. This time its the Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide. This one was another opened box (big mistake) that I stole off eBay. Fortunately everything was there, Unfortunately, several bags were torn open, parts unsecured and the heavier metal parts were scratched and the chrome was pretty beat up. 

After I recovered all the small parts, Every screw, spring and tiny metal part was loose in the box. I started the build, knowing some of the problems with the instructions or lack of. I had a couple of road blocks, I knew I would have to strip the front fender lens of the red stain and paint it amber. Easy with alcohol and Tamiya amber paint. The worst part was not enlarging some holes for the screws this time, it was actually missing holes in the front forks for the screws.

I detail painted the front and rear fender bumpers,the rear foot rests, the chrome piece on the trunk and the tank. I also added some metal wire on the throttle to better represent the cables. They provided bases for the antennas but no antennas. So, I used some electric guitar "strings" to represent them.

Final thoughts on this, not that it matters. The pin-striping is perfect where they put it. They just forgot to pinstripe the tops of the trunk and saddlebags. Also, somewhere the dies for these kits exist. I would love to see them back on the market with better instructions and tubing to represent the cables and hoses.

IMG_0008_zpsyolzswey.jpg

IMG_0009_zpsi0l8a6xx.jpg

IMG_0007_zps5nzq25w4.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsehkryxqj.jpg

IMG_0010_zps9qg89fxc.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

Also, I have one more of the series, the FLHRCI Road King Classic. I might do a WIP and give some better instructions for those who have the kit, but haven't tackled it yet. I know some people out there are still buying these kits, because It took me two years to get mine off of eBay at a price I was willing to pay.

I would love to see them back on the market with better instructions and tubing to represent the cables and hoses.

You can replace the out-of-scale hoses and cables with more in-scale items. I often do that on models. It makes a big visual difference.  I usually use insulated wire - it comes in many colors and diameters.

You can replace the out-of-scale hoses and cables with more in-scale items. I often do that on models. It makes a big visual difference.  I usually use insulated wire - it comes in many colors and diameters.

Thanks, I will take that idea into consideration when I start the build. So much is hidden, even in this scale. I guess if I was an owner of a 1:1 I would have a better idea of what can, or needs to be seen. I'll have to rely on the web for info. Also, I'm not in a club, don't compete, I only show what I do here. most of my stuff ends up in a box, stored. Eventually I'll finish a hobby/display room in my house (yeah, right. been here three years so far and all I do is talk about it). So, because I'll only be around for few more years, relatively. I don't expect my collection to end up anywhere except some rubbish bin in the future. For now, I just build for personal satisfaction and hopefully I can help someone else complete one of these kits with less frustration. I have seen several incomplete, partially started kits on eBay since I started looking to buy my first one.  

The biggest problem is what to do once they are finished so you can display them. They are huge 15"x5"x10" and heavy, about 4 pounds. You could just put it on the shelf, but there are so many nooks and crannies, dusting would be troublesome. I hate dust and the residue that coats models and diecasts left out in the open. It took me a while to find a case to fit my first one. It's for full size football helmets and cost more than what I paid for the kit.  

There are few display cases like the one I have on the market. I only found one which had a support in the center of the platform. The rest had reviews that complained of sagging centers. Unfortunately, the Electra Glide will not fit due to the trunk. So, as long as you are not building the Electra Glide you have a dust free place to keep it. I think I might buy a cheap curio cabinet if I finish my so called hobby room. It will need strong shelves do to the weight. For now, I'll just throw a rag over it.

Looks to be some well done models.

Most guys give up tryna get all that luggage painted up!

I put some of mine in a show and got hooked after that .

It can get addictive when the ribbons and sometimes trophys start happening!

Always good deals and lots of info at shows and meetings as well.

The biggest problem is what to do once they are finished so you can display them. They are huge 15"x5"x10" and heavy, about 4 pounds. You could just put it on the shelf, but there are so many nooks and crannies, dusting would be troublesome. I hate dust and the residue that coats models and diecasts left out in the open. It took me a while to find a case to fit my first one. It's for full size football helmets and cost more than what I paid for the kit.  

I know what you mean - back in 2004 I've built a Tamiya 1:6 Harley Fat Boy. :)  I took lots of photos all around a real one for reference. I also measured all the hoses and cables with a caliper so I could make them to scale on the model.

Edited by peteski