Model Cars Magazine Forum

1954 Hudson Hornet

Al Hoffman

This is my first post and my most recent completion. It was finished right when the big brahahaha started on the Confederate battle flag. Don't know if I'll put it on a show table or not.

Anyway it started as the Moebius 1954 Hudson. It is Frank "Rebel" Mundy's ride, thus the flag logo. Ran in AAA, the predecessor to USAC. 

Could not find anything on the rear seat being in or out so right or wrong I opted to take mine out & build up the body frame work.

The color was another issue since all the pictures I had been able to find were black & white. It didn't appear to be either of that year's listed blues. I had been advised that Hudson would pretty much paint the car the color it was ordered in so I went with the Tamiya Mica blue. First couple of coats through an airbrush to get in the body seams with the wet coats straight from the rattle can. Nibbled off between coats. Two coats off brushed on Future followed.

The decals are by "Power Slide" and I have to say they are some of the best I have worked with.

The wheels are by Holthaus & represent the wider rims on the export version of the Hudson. The fender skirts have been removed & the engine has been wired but everything else is pretty much box stock.

This kit was a pleasure to build & I have a couple others, convertible & lead sled, in different stages of completion.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've been thinking of doing this same build.  I have the decals.   So, should the decals be on the '53 or the '54 Hudson?    Your build looks great.  The wheels/tires really add to the racer look. 

1953 for sure........

I did all the NASCAR decal art for the Moebius Hidson kits and I did a number of other cars of the era too......

I have the 54 Mundy decals coming. 

My Mundy '53

Thanks

MUNDY52-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

I've been thinking of doing this same build.  I have the decals.   So, should the decals be on the '53 or the '54 Hudson?    Your build looks great.  The wheels/tires really add to the racer look. 

Jonathan I started with the Marshall Teague 1953 Hudson. I misidentified it in the title line.

Al that is just awesome, love it and the wheels make a big difference compared to the stock open type that come in the kit.

Would you have the number of the wheels from Modelhaus ?

Edited by Mr Stock