Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a Revell kit more expensive than this ?

Their Flower Class Corvette Platinum Edition is certainly the highest priced kit I've ever seen from a major manufacturer.  http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/ships/naval-ships/id/05112.html 

Even though this is a kit that has been reissued several times, originally from Matchbox.

images.jpeg

comp_Revell-Flower-Class-Corvette-Deckelbild.jpg

flower-class-corvette-small.jpg  $190.00 +

Here's what's inside http://theflowerclasscorvetteforums.yuku.com/topic/1406/Log-Building-HMS-Campanula#.VcFy0_lVikq

Edited by Greg Myers

The Revell USS New Jersey 1982 Platinum Edition (80-5129) in 1/350 appears to have a list price of $240, or about $5 more. Interesting, there is a 1/72 Pirate Ship that lists for $196. I had no idea Revell had kits that expensive. I always thought their 1/72 scale submarines were the top of the price range for them.

The molding on the parts is much more "crisp" than when Matchbox had the molds. If I remember right, I think the hull halves have the Matchbox stampings ground off. Still a good kit though. I like chasing it around the pond with my 1/72 type IX U-boat!!:P

The molding on the parts is much more "crisp" than when Matchbox had the molds. If I remember right, I think the hull halves have the Matchbox stampings ground off. Still a good kit though. I like chasing it around the pond with my 1/72 type IX U-boat!!:P

I haven't gotten a IX yet, in fact I still haven't finished the bunker for my VIIC.

03 05 12 042.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

I had an idea to do that very dio in 1/144 scale, but good reference material is hard to come by. Most pictures are post- war after we bombed the living dog snot out of those bunkers.

Oh yea, adequate bunker references are a bear. I gathered all the U-Boat related reference books that I could (a few of which are specifically dedicated to the bunkers), and studied them very carefully, but still realize full well that a lot of it will have to be "guesstimated", and I'm perfectly OK with that. I don't think most folks will really know the difference anyway.

If they doubt your version, just ask them for they're proof your wrong!! LOL!!:P:D. I was stationed in southern Germany for 2-1/2 years, and saw what our carpet bombing did to a lot of the older sections of the city(Schweinfurt) There were sections that were all new buildings next to old cobblestone tudor style buildings.  It was pretty rough on weekend pass getting to and from post after a few German Lowenbrau's trying to navigate those streets.

I'm with you there, Kev. As much trouble as I had gathering what little tangible photo documentation that there seemingly was available, I suspect that no one will be able to prove it wrong, one way or the other. My bunker will end up being an amalgamation of features from several different bunkers, but mostly based on the Bruno installation, and that's perfectly OK with me, as it's the massive nature of the bunker that I want to convey, not any specific features.

You know, I had at one time, the Revell bucket wheel excavator, and as I recall, it had a pretty hefty price tag, though it actually seems to be cheaper now. Either that, or my memory is trashed,... a distinct possibility. .

OK, I think I goofed. My bunker is loosely patterned after this one, wherever it is. (It's been a couple of years since I worked on this, so I'm sort of "fuzzy" on the details.

Bunker 1.JPG

Edited by Roadrunner

794px-lancaster_617_sqn_raf_dropping_grand_slam_bomb_on_arnsberg_viaduct_1945.jpg

Tallboy 10 ton bunker buster bomb under a Lancaster. Yikes!! its just been released.. That'll leave a mark!!:D

You know, I had at one time, the Revell bucket wheel excavator, and as I recall, it had a pretty hefty price tag, though it actually seems to be cheaper now. Either that, or my memory is trashed,... a distinct possibility. .

OK, I think I goofed. My bunker is loosely patterned after this one, wherever it is. (It's been a couple of years since I worked on this, so I'm sort of "fuzzy" on the details.

Bunker 1.JPG

I think that ones in France. Not sure which port. Its in pretty good shape though. 

Oh yea, one tallboy managed to punch a hole through roughly 18' (that's the thickness I read somewhere) of heavily reinforced concrete on one occasion. A lucky shot I think, and not nearly enough to disrupt activities at the complex for very long at all. Must have been frightening to be on the ground though.

Hole.jpg

When I was a kid in the 1969-72 period I lived in Germany and there were loads of WWII bunkers still around.  Not those huge condo ones you pictured in this thread, but small ones.  They were an eye sore and since they were heavily fortified, they were impossible to knock over with bulldozers and normal means.  Then the Germans discovered something.... if they sealed the bunkers and filled them with water, the winter ice would force them apart!  Brilliant!

Our shop area in Schweinfurt was built on an old Luftwaffe airdrome , and they had rubber "skirts" about 5 inches high around the entire perimeter of the unevenly shaped runways. We couldn't figure out what they were for, so we asked some of the older people from the area, and they said that during air raids, they would flood the runways with about 4 inches of water. From 30,000 feet in the air, it looked like a pond or lake. We also found the drains,pumps, and storage tanks for all that water while doing p/m's on some of the base equipment one day. what a mess.....:rolleyes:

Edited by bismarck

The Dora bunker in Trondheim was planned on being demolished after the war but they could not get it down so today it is used as a storage facilty for many important historical artifacts as the inside of the bunker has a constant temperature and moisturelevel and anything stored inside will be safe from pretty much anything one can think of.

Maybe this was the thikness of concrete they should have used on that bunker in Tulsa when they buired that Plymouth back in 1957?