Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Zipper Roadster, updated photos 8/26

jbwelda

some of this stuff was originally meant for one project or another but by osmosis and the theory of proximity, a seed was borne.

accu-pro "Zipper" 32 ford roadster, surplus amt XR-6 chassis narrowed and augmented, MT Tempest 4 with Weber carbs on custom hemi head, wheels and tires from Revell Parts Pack and Revell deuce of some sort, running gear mostly from same Revell deuce with Reps and Mins of Maryland competition 9" rear end. photos show rough quick mockup but will sit closer to the ground fore and aft and front will practically drag on the weeds. don't know what I will do with interior but simple bench seat and Mexican blanket might do, paint tinted primer for NNL West but then Tamiya deep blue metallic with some blue clear coat. or something.

jb

body on frame left front.jpg

body on frame left profile.jpg

chassis with body off left front.jpg

engine in body.jpg

engine in chassis close up.jpg

rear end through frame 2.jpg

Edited by jbwelda

• 2 weeks later...

about time for an update on this one: frame is finished, has been narrowed, smoothed, some crossmembers and suspension mounts added, move the wheelbase forward about 3" and whittled out a perch in front, filled the original notch, some other stuff. heres some photos showing original frame and what I ended up with. ready for testors deep pearlescent purple over the silver you currently see, going to be interesting to see how it turns out.

01Z9Mx.jpg

rVEVbW.jpg

vODI4W.jpg

a7zy08.jpg

lot of work went into that (even though you can't really see it!)

got the axles done and prepared for mounting tires and wheels:

7SwcK5.jpg

and the tires and wheels, with buick finned drums and ford backing plates:

7M3yGG.jpg

V2xb6g.jpg

also been working on getting the hood to fit properly, compare to earlier photos and you can see its getting better, but not there quite yet. probably try to take care of that this evening.

HZuPtg.jpg

oh and "Zipper", its the name the manufacturer of the resin kit gave it, maybe its modeled after a real world kustom.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

yeah the body is kind of trashy and "fiberglass hot rod" looking. I don't really like its style, too plain in the front and kinda quasi swoopy in the wrong places, plus the interior is pure pimpmobile so I am not going to use that at all. even the dashboard looks really hokey. right now I am thinking about cutting some Ferrari louvers in the front side panels and doing a rat sort of interior, filling in the side slots for the goofy looking windscreen and instead using a Duvall windscreen I have that fits on the top of the hood very well (but would be pretty impractical in real life).  maybe tunneling in some teardrop taillights and maybe some fins on the rear deck. and not that anyone would do it in real life but I was fitting the Fujimi Porsche 356C dashboard last night and it was darn near looking good in there.

To be honest, I am proceeding with this body but I am not married to it. almost bought a 34 ford dry lake bed roadster the other day precisely to use on this project instead of this body. but for now I am trying to clean this one up a bit...currently sanding the heck out of the inside shell to make it somewhat consistent all around. lots of dust for not much to show for it. I do think with some creativity it could look nice but to me it just looks like another gussied up deuce, not one of my favorite body styles at all, and done way too many times.

jb

whats that they say about idle hands doing the devils work? next he is grafting the Porsche dashboard onto the body.

don't know how well those louver strips will work, I think maybe they are johan in origin, and they are kind of soft and rubbery, but still seem to sand ok. biggest problem is the bar that runs up the strip but I think I can sand that down later in the process.

I needed the clearance inside the engine compartment anyway so those scoops not only liven up the dull side of the engine cover, but they provide a relief for the hemi head to fit into. hopefully. haven't actually fit it in yet because the frame got painted with MM enamel and we all know how that is: some drying time required.

thanks for looking!

jb

dash looks nice. still need to smooth the cowl/dash interface but looking pretty good. filled the underside with epoxy so nothing will move once it dries. there are excellent decals in the Porsche kit for gauges and the engraving on the dash is beautiful. don't really fit the car but that usually doesn't stop me.

posing with a bench seat (Revell 32 Ford Roadster) and a driver figure:

jb

Hey JB, in the 1rst pic of the Porsche dash, is that louver poop on the material underneath? Again I am really impressed with the fact that with a few moderate changes, you so far have taken a VERY  over done style of build and made it completely BORING!  Ha ha jus kiddin!. This bit of humor is brought to your thread for the small payment of 1 duvall windsheild (for an upcoming project of Mine all mine!lol  Shaun

thanks for the interest Shaun, by louver poop on the dashboard, do you mean the Blaupunkt radio? If not please clarify because I don't know what  you're on about there. also, the boring part, that is my specialty man! it is kind of how I feel about deuces to tell the truth, but maybe this one will be a little different from most.

jb

Gotta say I approve of the front scoops, the trunk louvers, and especially that interesting Porsche dash. You might not like the belly-button body, but you're turning it into something pretty cool IMHO.
Those mods should go well with the wheels.
For some reason I'm imagining it painted maroon, or that dull blue that some vintage porsches are painted.

now got some tunneled teardrop taillight bezels, look really kool, in fact they might look even kooler as exhaust ports! but taillights they stay. still need a bit of cleanup and meanwhile the dashboard is looking better too. thanks again for looking and comments always welcome!

look inside, will make clear red lenses and glue them to this side of the bezel