Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC V8 source?

I'll have to check my Matador stock car. Wonder if it is like the Pepsi Chevelle? It actually has a Ford engine......

I may end up with a Gremlin kit..... What to put in there then? Boss 429 maybe.....

Thanks!

Edited by Sledsel

Just something to keep in mind that there are actually 2 completely different AMC V8 engines, which share no parts. From what I can find, and I'm going to look a bit deeper, the Marlin used the earlier V8 in 1966.

The Nash V8's : 287 and 327 cubes . I thought that 1966 was the first year for the 290-343-390 series ?

That is correct. But from what I could find, '66 was a changeover year. I found listings for both style engines being used that year, and the only engine I saw specifically as being available in the Marlin that year was the older engine (the 287). I am going to consider the source (Wikipedia) as possibly not being 100% accurate though.

My post was really only intended to suggest researching the subject, if only to make sure of which engine would be correct, or if both engines are correct.

Edited by Longbox55

Just something to keep in mind that there are actually 2 completely different AMC V8 engines, which share no parts. From what I can find, and I'm going to look a bit deeper, the Marlin used the earlier V8 in 1966.

The Nash V8's : 287 and 327 cubes . I thought that 1966 was the first year for the 290-343-390 series ?

I thought the 343 didn't appear till '68, but it might have been '67. But I'm pretty sure the biggest AM engine in '66 was the 327.

The Jeep one worked for me.  Jeff396(?) sent me one from this forum.  Here is a link to a picture of it in the Missing Link Hornet I finished.  I think I had to sand the tunnel down for the transmission to fit in the tunnel is the only modification I had to do.

Hopefully link works.  I think I posted pictures in finished section last year.

http://public.fotki.com/Kevin60brd/misc-models/dsc00602.html

The correct engine for the Marlin is the one that came in the Marlin kit.  The next-generation 290 V8 was installed in the smaller American/Rogue body in '66, then across all AMC lines in '67.  The new engine was in part designed because the earlier one didn't fit the American body on an assembly line (though one dealer built a few with the early engine to sell; they drag raced one also).  AMC redesigned the larger cars for '67, it wouldn't have made sense for them to change them over to the new engine when they were in their final year of existence.  The newer engine might have been legal for NASCAR in the Marlin body...but would it have been limited to 290 cubes?  The older engine could have been run as a 327...still giving up 100 cubes to everyone else, but still nearly 30 more than a 290...

Well, as long as I have an AMC engine in it. The body and bumpers are all that were salvageable from the original build. Had to fix all the sink marks from the glue on the body, dremel out the windshield and part of the interior tub.

Thanks for all the info guys