Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral 2D

aurfalien

Hi,

This is my second build (I'll stop counting after the 3rd) and although it didn't turn out as hoped/planned, it IZ finished and I'm happy.

There were 2 notable things that went very wrong;

1) Although I did test fit a few things, I didn't do it to critical stuff like chassis to body W/WHEELS!  The wheels changed everything but it was too late in the build process.

2) I originally used and would have liked Metalizer but the surface was not prepped correctly.  It must be a mirror finish or close to it in getting the look I wanted.

In fact, after being stripped a few times the parts were not looking good and so I sanded/polished to a near perfect look.  But ended up removing the fine detail like bolts, lines, etc...  so I ended up using my cast pieces.  These further caused fit/alignment issues as they were not prepped for proper fit.  Again, due to the stage this build was in.

I went with BMF as it did hide some surface fromage but I would’ve preferred Metalizer.  I think both have a place in my tool set.

I also had a mishap with the roof scoop due to over zealous polishing, so I improvised and added a bit of scoop.

At any rate, I could have done a much better job if this was say my 6th model etc... but it looks ok.  Sorry to all those Chaparral fans who’ll be disappointed with my take on this iconic vehicle.

Edited by aurfalien

Hi Brian, You're ahead of me in Builds and it is always good to see another Chaparral get done. I'm courious just why you choose to give a Metal finish to the Air Intake, Spoiler and sides? You're showing you can do really nice detailing as is seen on the Wheels and the highlighting of the fasteners. A Clean build, just couriou about the finishing choices.

Hi Crazy Ed!

Well, thats a good question.  The body itself is simply buffed & polished, no paint.

The kit has the air inrtake in black as well as the spoiler and sides.

I felt that color matching would have been hard and didn't wish to paint the model as it looks so great bare with all the little details etc...  Same with the wheels as this kit has awesome wheels!

Plus I did a little artistic interpretation in saying those parts are aluminium and the rest of the car is made from some other kind of stuff :D

I also love how the older Ferraris had white exhaust so I did mine in that too and added brass tips.

Thanks very much for the compliment on my detail work.  It's hit and miss and a learning process indeed.

Edited by aurfalien

Hi Crazy Ed!

Well, thats a good question.  The body itself is simply buffed & polished, no paint.

The kit has the air inrtake in black as well as the spoiler and sides.

I felt that color matching would have been hard and didn't wish to paint the model as it looks so great bare with all the little details etc...  Same with the wheels as this kit has awesome wheels!

Plus I did a little artistic interpretation in saying those parts are aluminium and the rest of the car is made from some other kind of stuff :D

Ok, You've got the FUJIMI version;). The Modelers has White Parts Trees. And as to Interpitation, heck over the years I've seem Chaparrals painted pretty much every color of the Rainbow. Your representation looks very nice.

Ok want be to be Honest ?   

Well to start off with the wheels well I my opinion they look look GREAT ?

and the Model and Subject is one of the best of our times those were and still the race cars of the Days 

And you have done Wonderful Job on Building of such a piece of that History 

You Have a Winner ???

Don aka XJ6 ? 

You might get a kick out this photo which is the model I modified from the Monogram kit posed with the real 2D taken at the Monterey Historics in 2005. I managed to get Jim Hall to autograph the model. By the way, Jim Hall just turned 80. More of my photos of the real car are at

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/historic_road_race/monterey_historics_2005/chaparral/

Chapparal2D

Don't be so hard on yourself, the model looks really nice.  Can't get enough CanAm cars on here, keep them coming.

Thanks bbowser.  My next model is a Dino 206GT.  Its a Fujimi Wolf kit which is half price of an actual Fujimi 206GT kit.  Buts its a 206GT as I compared build instructions on 1999.co.jp.

Edited by aurfalien

Don't be so hard on yourself, the model looks really nice.  Can't get enough CanAm cars on here, keep them coming.

The 2d wasn't a CanAm Car. The 2E, G, H and J were the Chaparral's that raced in the CanAm. But ALL Chaparrals are Good:rolleyes:

My mistake, and you're right about Chaparrals!

The 2d wasn't a CanAm Car. The 2E, G, H and J were the Chaparral's that raced in the CanAm. But ALL Chaparrals are Good:rolleyes:

My mistake, and you're right about Chaparrals!

No Problen Bruce.My Avatar isn't just a Picture of one of my Neighbors I took. It also represents my all time Favorite Racing Team ;)

Wow man, thats SIK!

Those wheels are killer!  Love the ride heitght to.

What kind of wheels are those, like Porsche 962 wheels?

Jim Hall is über cool.

Tried successfully to find notes I may have made regarding the wheels I used but 962 might be a good guess.

Helix, slusher, 59-Desoto and vintagercr, very kind of you all, many many thanks!

Since I had to buy an extra Fuji/Chap kit due to missing parts, I started to heavily mod the 2nd one and am building a Chaparral 2D Can-Am Spyder version of sorts.

I'll post it in the work bench section soon.  Its an ongoing project requring heavy body work etc.. which will most likley take several months.

Nice suggestion.  However were I work frequently gets Crispy Creams which are as you know, zingers to an order of magnetude.

Still, the pastries of Solvang are hard to beat, my wife and I enjoy going there.  Its weird, cool and fun all in one!