Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 65 Plymouth Satellite - Update 01/25/2016

Exotics_Builder

Now that the Revell Hemi Dart is under glass and met the GTR Modelers’ Club theme criteria, it is time to start this kit.  This will only be the second MOPAR I have ever done, so lots of research and any feedback from experts (as on the Hemi Dart) is very welcome.

After I received this kit from Moebius, I did open it and share its contents online.  Tim Boyd came along with a more detailed review of the contents and his expert opinions.  I will reiterate that this is a very nicely molded model and DOES NOT display any of the rough casting of different models.  Again, out the box body is thus:

DSCF9835_zpsdnenhoau.jpg~original

And this is the body after I washed it and scuffed it with 2400 grit wet/dry prior to priming:

WIP%20Part%2001%20011_zpscmuxb2lc.jpg~or

Additional examples of the detail included are the trim of the dashboard and the cast in sun visors in the roof:

WIP%20Part%2001%20013_zpsdhzemarm.jpg~orWIP%20Part%2001%20013_zpsdhzemarm.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2001%20014_zpskixomfbn.jpg~or

Instructions are well done, although I discovered a couple references to the 54 hornet rather than the Plymouth in some detailing footnotes.  But, it does not detract from the explanation. There also is a detailing and color plan highlights with box art model for illustration:

WIP%20Part%2001%20012_zpsegslqbtd.jpg~or

There was only one minor sinkhole in the chassis area as well as a copyright in the axle well that I needed to deal with on the chassis.  And there was some need to touch up a small gap on the rear panel mating to the body.  I used Tamiya Gray putty and then went to priming (Tamiya fine Gray).

Here is the body after 1stprime with the touch up points needing to be finished.  Note, a few gap/part lines will be covered by trim or parts so can be left alone.

WIP%20Part%2001%20015_zpsxhgwdhdd.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2001%20016_zpsv8xaffad.jpg~or

Still deciding on color choice. Right now I am thinking of Copper with a black interior.

Next up is engine work.

Edited by Exotics_Builder
Update

Looks good so far,in Tim Boyd's review he noted that the exhaust manifolds and the transmission oil pan weren't correct,do you know of a resin caster or other kit that may have the correct parts?.

No I don't.  I was going to sniff the parts boxes and ping a couple of people I know to see if there is a better choice.  Otherwise, I will just stick with it.

I just ordered H-1 Copper paint from Scale Finishes for my build.  I am excited to watch this build.  

I did too.  Have it upstairs right now!

Maybe try modelhaus?

Don't know.  Will check.  But I also have the 440 left over from the Hemi Dart.  I will have to check to see if there is anything there and if compatible.

I just ordered H-1 Copper paint from Scale Finishes for my build.  I am excited to watch this build.  

I did too.  Have it upstairs right now!

Maybe try modelhaus?

Don't know.  Will check.  But I also have the 440 left over from the Hemi Dart.  I will have to check to see if there is anything there and if compatible.

RE : 383 / 440 from the 1968-1969 Revell Dart : the driver's side manifold is exclusive to the Dart and Barracuda , and is only correct for those two cars . Perhaps the exhaust manifolds from the 1967-1968-1969 Charger is a better ---albeit still incorrect for 1965--- choice .

Cool! I have not seen this kit before. Does it say "PLYNOUTH" on the trunk lid?

It sure does. What a huge mistake!

Trick of lighting.  It does say M.  If you want I will do a close up of that spot.

I think I am going to stay with the manifolds and transmission oil pan from the kit.  I am also going to use redline tires and Magnum 500 wheels on this as I think this will look sharper.  I am not panning the kit option, just trying to personalize.

I also noticed some lengthwise ribbing on the mufflers that I have never seen before, but will research it. 

Finally, there is one part of the trim that I need to further research as well.  In photos of the Satellite I have seen, the indents in the back panel have what appear to be engine turned accents.  But these are not on the chrome part.  I don't know if that was optional or not, since I understand the Satellite to be uptrim. However, this would be no different than AMT or Revell not offering the engine turned trim features on ANY of the 62, 63 or 64 Chevy SS models.  Still, I plan to do a little more digging.  Anyone know?

Coulda fooled me. I'll take your word for it. Seems like a glaring mistake if it was, I'll look for myself when I get one.

The photo looks as if there is possibly a speck of dirt or a glob of primer between the center & last "leg" of the "M" making it look like an "N".

But believe me, I just looked at my body under magnification. It is correct.

Buy with confidence.

Steve

:rolleyes: I just got my kit yesterday I'm looking for word to this build I have to say Moebius did it again it's an awesome kit.! But I do have one thing that I found to be not up to how they have done there great detail in other kits and that is the Taillights I was really set back on that I just hate to paint in taillights in the past years I have gone to Modelhause to get the first kit lights for the repop's of all the old AMT kit's. But like I said this kit was a long time coming and it's a great kit.

:rolleyes: I just got my kit yesterday I'm looking for word to this build I have to say Moebius did it again it's an awesome kit.! But I do have one thing that I found to be not up to how they have done there great detail in other kits and that is the Taillights I was really set back on that I just hate to paint in taillights in the past years I have gone to Modelhause to get the first kit lights for the repop's of all the old AMT kit's. But like I said this kit was a long time coming and it's a great kit.

I think it was the better move to do the taillight as they did, a bit of clear red and they look great. A 2-piece or having to foil a clear red taillight just wouldn't look right.

Edited by Mike Chernecki

• 2 weeks later...

Engine assembly is straight forward.  I did not use the kit distributor cap, but rather a Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland pre-drilled tan cap along with vacuum advance.  I used Detail Master Black ignition wire from the parts boxes along with their wire looms.

This engine is supposed to represent the 426 wedge stock engine, but the exhaust manifolds included are of a max wedge style (probably a hint of what is to come as a second carburetor is also on the parts tree).  Also, the transmission oil pan is ribbed where the stock is not.

In talking to some club Mopar experts, there is no accurate exhaust manifold for the 65 as later versions were different or unique to the car (such as the 440 manifolds in Revell’s Hemi Dart kit).  And, kits of the correct period are not readily available unless one has it in their stash. The consensus was to leave it as a “Day Two” upgrade.  So, since the manifold is non-stock, I also decided to leave the tranny pan alone as well.

Here is engine detail progress to this point:

WIP%20Part%2002%20003_zpspfoq2err.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2002%20004_zpsqxth91r6.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2002%20005_zpsapf0l1wx.jpg~or

I have also done more body work.  Moebius has provided decals for the scripts.  I am not a big fan of that approach other than for color components.  But I do understand why it is done and many modelers will appreciate this rather than try BMF.

The car exterior is 1965 Chrysler Copper with black interior.  To hedge my bets (since it must be done after priming and before basecoat), I applied BMF to the lighter/smaller scripts.  Most of the larger trim can be deferred until after basecoat. 

WIP%20Part%2002%20001_zps9djg00p5.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2002%20006_zps9pivr3kf.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%2002%20007_zpsyywv0meu.jpg~or

Another Mopar build Gerry? It must be contagious, no? I should talk as I need to work on some Mopars myself. I really liked the way your previous build, the Dart turned out.

Thank you!  This looks like the year of building outside of my "zone".  The VW Samba bus, then the Dart.  This one I am doing because Moebius was kind enough to send me a sample (THANK YOU AGAIN Moebius).  I feel I owe it to them.  I will not uber detail this one as I am trying to do a couple of more before the year is out as well as spend time getting ready to sell the house and move.