Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 65 Plymouth Satellite - Update 01/25/2016

Exotics_Builder

• 2 months later...

Getting back at this as a variety of things interfered with major progress.  First the bad news.  The body is in the dunk tank and is stripped.  I wound up with a couple of flaws as I was polishing the body and couldn’t correct them to my satisfaction.  So, since I tipped over the remaining paint, I also had to put another order in to Scale Finishes.

The engine though is pretty well done.  Needs some paint on the tranny and a couple of touches, including heater hoses.

Working on the interior.  It will be black.  The Satellite has quite a bit of metal trim in the interior door panels and I am replicating with BMF.  Per documentation, the car was delivered with front and rear seat belts for all but the center rear seat passenger (which was an option).  I am going to do the standard seat belts using Detail Master PE hardware.  Also need to complete the console and dash panel. 

Although they are stock, the kit tires and wheels are not my cup of tea (perhaps I’ll trade them off).  I decided to do a Magnum 500 wheel with redline tires.  Still need to detail the wheels, but here is what I planning to use.  It will need some tweaking of the wheel hub mounts on the kit.

Since I applied decals to the body, I’ll need to decide on getting more decals or winging it with BMF and tape.

DSCF9906.JPG

DSCF9907.JPG

DSCF9908.JPG

DSCF9910.JPG

DSCF9909.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder

• 4 weeks later...

While waiting for my paint from Scale Finishes, I stripped, cleaned up and re-primed the body and hood, plus also finished the interior platform assembly (although I just noticed that need to paint the turn signal stalk silver).  Once the paint arrives (already a month since I ordered it) I can this back on track to finish.  One thing I noticed on the interior is that there is a spot on the center console for a gauge but none included on the decal sheet.  Photos of the actual car show it to likely be a Tach, so I took a decal from the stash and applied it.  It may not be 100% accurate, but it is buried low.  The interior does have a lot of very nice engraving, and, yes Moebius provides it, door lock knobs.

WIP%20Part%2004%201_zpslgkuqezp.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%2004%202_zpsacoesjtk.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%2004%203_zpslgutium9.jpg~orig

• 1 month later...

Murphy's law has been fighting me on this.  If you remember, I had to strip the body as I damaged the final finish (in a most conspicuous spot).  On top of that, I spilt the remaining paint I had and needed to get more from Scale Finishes.  I also needed to get a replacement decal sheet, since the badging is a bit "soft" and the usual BMF first and sand after every color coat was not working.

WIP%20Part%2005%2001_zpstptea4kd.jpg~ori

I've married the front sub-frame to the chassis/interior.  This is a little finicky, as I wound up with a slight warp at the front passenger wheel.  I tried tweaking a couple of times, but no luck.  Initial mating to body is inconclusive as to whether that will fix it.  Will need to wait and see.  I also needed to shave a bit of the inner fender wells as I was not happy with the fit,  This area is not visible after assembly.  Be sure to follow the instructions advice on aligning the firewall, inner fenders and front brace.  It is critical.

WIP%20Part%2005%2002_zpssxxb2vum.jpg~ori

For the wheels, I chose not to use the kit provided tire  and wheel set.  I opted for a set of American Satco redlines and Magnum 500 wheels from the stash.  This meant I needed to do a different wheel mounting approach.  Solved through wheel backs from the stash, some Evergreen rod and some reaming to fit the mounting pins.

WIP%20Part%2005%2003_zpsc65n91gi.jpg~ori

Now to foil, apply the decals, clear and finish this kit off.

Edited by Exotics_Builder