Model Cars Magazine Forum
ratnasty

MPC trikes

10 hours ago, Impalow said:

That MailBox trike kit is really fun...

I've seen it here before, but I still gasp in wonder! If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a big scale build - just superb.

A few years back, one of the well-known resin casters was working on an accurate conversion kit for the Mailbox Chopper, complete with Crosley engine, but apparently decided there wasn't enough of a market. I wonder if they'll consider releasing it now?

15 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

A few years back, one of the well-known resin casters was working on an accurate conversion kit for the Mailbox Chopper, complete with Crosley engine, but apparently decided there wasn't enough of a market. I wonder if they'll consider releasing it now?

Comparing images of the real Mail Box Chopper with the MPC kit, one can see just how vastly different most of the parts are. Perhaps MPC was satisfied with "close enough, it looks like a hot rod trike" at the time.

MailBoxTrike2.jpg.e6e572b36186b3a87355e5f9891cf4d6.jpg

MPCMailBoxChopper.JPG.406ee69a4bf2ee844534893c627e8605.JPG

Here's a good look at the orignal(?) issue, especially the decal sheet mentioned earlier in this topic: http://motoblogn.blogspot.com/2013/03/ed-big-daddy-roths-mail-box-chopper.html

Edited by Casey

On 1/16/2020 at 6:09 AM, Impalow said:

That MailBox trike kit is really fun...

The engine is spectacular, with some minor detailing (plug wires, fuel lines and velocity stacks) it comes to life quite nicely.

I'm excited to build a few more of the trikes, as well as the kit bashing opportunity.

8EFBDB12-9F55-4F8E-AB37-78A6365CED29.JPG

A79342A4-49B1-4003-9A90-E49635558D41.JPG

C31FBD86-A656-409F-93F8-8DF6F10FF3F8.JPG

Where did you get those Firestones??  They be awesome!!

Thanks for the kind words guys!    Yeah if they made a Replica of the real Roth Mailbox I would be all over it... I have thought about scratch-building one....  but... too many other projects.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:03 PM, Ralph Henderson said:

Where did you get those Firestones??  They be awesome!!

They are these: Firestone Modified Tires

s-l300.jpg.e1fe6a929990c8eaf5d9c8be6d13c1db.jpg

Note that there is a pony tire, so to have a true set of bigs and littles you need to buy 2 sets...  They are always at NNL East, I have bought 2 sets every year with dreams of showrods in my head... just now getting around to using them on builds.

10 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thanks for the kind words guys!    Yeah if they made a Replica of the real Roth Mailbox I would be all over it... I have thought about scratch-building one....  but... too many other projects.

They are these: Firestone Modified Tires

s-l300.jpg.e1fe6a929990c8eaf5d9c8be6d13c1db.jpg

Note that there is a pony tire, so to have a true set of bigs and littles you need to buy 2 sets...  They are always at NNL East, I have bought 2 sets every year with dreams of showrods in my head... just now getting around to using them on builds.

cool, thanks!!