Model Cars Magazine Forum

This ones been sitting on the workbench for the last 6 months collecting dust. My original plan was to build a wrecker. I've been struggling with the plan for the boom itself, I can't find what I want. So I thought it time to finish the pickup and worry about the boom later.

The wheels are from a 1/35 military truck, the tires are from the vts Dodge pickup, and the brake drums are small wooden craft wheels.

The grill has been opened up, and the paint has been given the salt treatment after primer.

20150807_135210.jpg

20150807_135249.jpg

20150807_135648.jpg

20150807_135634.jpg

The open grill looks good.

A small detail that often gets overlooked on these trucks is the area between the upper grill and lower grill is the body color on most of these trucks, a pain to paint but adds a lot in my opinion.

This photo shows what I'm talking about

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1941-chevrolet-series-ak-pickup-2.jpg

For the wrecker boom if you do a google images search for Weaver Auto Crane or Manley Wrecking Crane, there are a lot of photos and drawings out there. These are examples of common wrecker booms from the 1920 into the 40s and not too hard to scratch build.

Paul your work is great. I had this truck in my parts box and finally but it together, but had used lots of it for other builds. what I started with looks like the parts your using for the wrecker. A little deja vu 'ish. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/103938-41-chevy/?do=findComment&comment=1465372though I thinks your looks better executed. I'll be watching.

Jonathan  

A small detail that often gets overlooked on these trucks is the area between the upper grill and lower grill is the body color on most of these trucks, a pain to paint but adds a lot in my opinion.

For the wrecker boom if you do a google images search for Weaver Auto Crane or Manley Wrecking Crane, there are a lot of photos and drawings out there. These are examples of common wrecker booms from the 1920 into the 40s and not too hard to scratch build.

What 1:35 truck did you get the wheels? I've been wanting to build a 50 Chevy flatbed but have not been able to find any wheels and tires.

What 1:35 truck did you get the wheels? I've been wanting to build a 50 Chevy flatbed but have not been able to find any wheels and tires.

i see what you are talking about, i missed that detail. Going to leave it as is, i really  don't think I'm going to change it.Thanks for the tip on the google search, I've looked some, but haven't found what I like.

the wheels came from an unknown kit. I went to my LHS to see if they could locate a wheel i could use, and the owner gave me these wheels from a incomplete kit he had. They were perfect for what I needed. The tires came from he vts dodge pickup.

Sorry about the messed up quotes, not sure what I did. Thanks for all the comments, I will keep this build updated as quickly as I can.

Edited by uncle potts

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest update. The engine is mounted in the chassis, brake lines and fuel lines need to be finished. The interior of the cab is done, and the floor pan /fender assy is ready for the cab. And the body for the boom has been started.

Any comments are welcome, I know it has its flaws, but I want to know what you see, it helps me be a better modeler.

20150816_232233.jpg

20150816_232459.jpg

20150816_232137.jpg

20150816_232602.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one, I am a big fan of tow trucks. Most of the older trucks were home built jobs made out of pipe and angle iron or I beams so I would think you would want some sloppy bubble gum welds. The bed looks good so far.