Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

Alright kiddies, the hobby room is done and just in time to join Chris and John T in the wheelstander build. Chris started this, referring to it only as "The Twins." Surprise Chris. It's triplets. We know Chris is building the Jolly Rancher Stagecoach. He was hoping that John would do the twin-ish Jelly Belly Stagecoach. I think John has other ideas. Raise your hand if that comes as a surprise. ;)

The three of us attended the San Jose NNL West, The Desert Scale Classic in Phoenix and The GSL in Utah. So when I learned of this, I invited myself to join in on the modeling goodness. My build will have a couple of bells and whistles, but I'm going to keep it simple so that I can get back on the Charlie Allen build next.

I was originally going to use the frame back half of the Hurst Hairy Olds, using the rear engine only. Unfortunately, this engine has the headers molded into the block / heads / oil pan and that isn't going to work for me. Now, because I'll need a different engine, I'll check to see if there is room for a pair of side by side blown HEMI's. The Emergency West wheelstander uses this set up, so I'll have to scratch a V-Drive for the drivetrain. I also plan on adding a tube front frame clip with scratched leaf springs and axle.

The body is a Jimmy Flintstone 58 Chevy Nomad Sedan Delivery with the AMT 58 Impala sacrificing all of the prerequisite parts. Also the body will be hinged at the front for eyeball vision on the engines.

Lastly, I'm going to need a paid volunteer from the audience to help me with some custom decals. Basically what I want to do is, using the NAPA logo theme, name it "NAPA NASTY NOMAD." PM me for details.

I hope to start construction this weekend. I guess I need to buy another TWO MUCH dragster for the engines.

20150807_161709.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.

I started with the basics today. Grabbed some detail goodies and a pilot. Then I cleaned up the body. Also, as a teaser more for myself than anything else, after I cut the front clip off of the Olds chassis, I propped up the body to get a glimpse of the future. It's got potential. Yes, no?

Sorry the pics are out of order. Can't wait until I can start using PhotoBucket again.

DSC02125.JPG

DSC02127.JPG

DSC02121.JPG

DSC02128.JPG

DSC02126.JPG

Edited by Nytrozilla

Thanx for checking in y'all.

I started thinning the body in preparation of opening the doors and I think I'll hinge the roof too. The roof section will include the rear window. That means hinging the tailgate as well. Ooooooo, I wonder if I could gull-wing the doors since the cut off line for the roof is at the back of the doors? Hmmmmmmm?????

After I opened up the rear fender wells a tad, I played with the engine set up and I think we have a winner.

DSC02129.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

DSC02131.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

DSC02133.JPG

Edited by Nytrozilla

Hey Joe, it was great having the chance to chat yesterday. Your plans for this build sound truly unique.  But you're going to have to really get after it now after seeing what Mr. Teresi has already made on his stagecoach.  We both know how fast he builds. This will be entertaining for all of the members of the forum that follow along.  Cheers dude, Tim

Point me to the place that sells motors that small and I'll scratch the rest. ;)

Mini R/C helicopters... The tail rotor motor is very small.

Would need some gear reduction but it would be doable. Use the helicopter electronics to make it work...

Edited by astroracer

Hey Joe, it was great having the chance to chat yesterday. Your plans for this build sound truly unique.  But you're going to have to really get after it now after seeing what Mr. Teresi has already made on his stagecoach.  We both know how fast he builds. This will be entertaining for all of the members of the forum that follow along.  Cheers dude, Tim

It was a pleasure talking to you too Tim. Not only is John a faster builder, he's a better one too. :D I'm just along for the ride.

Now this is something different. I like it and you're really cruising now Joe.  Funny thing...I was thinking of building a wheelstander too after hearing of Chris and John each building one. You stole my idea.

I can't speak for John or Chris, but as for me I would love to see you do a Wheelie car. Or another wagon. Or a tank. Or a motor home. Can you make a hovercraft do a wheelie?

I think it would be cool if they both did coaches and we did wagons.

Mini R/C helicopters... The tail rotor motor is very small.

Would need some gear reduction but it would be doable. Use the helicopter electronics to make it work...

Wow, didn't know about those little motors. I Googled them and was interested. Too bad electronics and gearing totally baffle me.

I've taken care of some stuff over the last couple of days and my calendar is free for the next few days. Hope to get lots done. See y'all soon.

Edited by Nytrozilla

Thanks for trying to make it easy on me Chris, but from here on out it's all about what might impress a judge. If I fail, it won't be the first time I've tossed a body. :D It's all about the WOW Factor and the Gotcha' Factor.C

Joe this is a great project. Great start,  I would suggest coming up with an inner structure to reinforce the body. This would be needed in real life and also to keep the resin body from snapping at the doorsills.Jim Lytles big al 34 had a lift off fiberglass body with opening doors. You might also consider onky opening just the drivers door for added strength . Also full size the body would be lift off so access wouldnt be an issue,

Joe this is a great project. Great start,  I would suggest coming up with an inner structure to reinforce the body. This would be needed in real life and also to keep the resin body from snapping at the doorsills.Jim Lytles big al 34 had a lift off fiberglass body with opening doors. You might also consider onky opening just the drivers door for added strength . Also full size the body would be lift off so access wouldnt be an issue,

I'm about to commence to whittlin' today. Reinforcement is a good idea Bob, even though this is a very thick body I'm already considering it. Also might help if I leave some space between the door cut and the roof cut. Actually, fear of messing up the body usually provides all of the engineering prowess I need. lol

Thanx for keeping me on my toes.

Not much of an update, but lots of work done. I had to give up on the Olds chassis. Just not enough room for the twins. So I took a hard look at the AMT Nomad chassis, then whipped out my rusty trusty Dremel-o-matic and went crazy.

I'll need to add 3/16 to the width, but I believe I'm headed in the right direction now.

Also after taking a hard look at the doors, there isn't enough space behind the top of the windshield to make it work. Besides, I did say I wanted to keep it simple. Still might hinge the back though.

20150813_121435.thumb.jpg.b1d94e0b1227ad

Edited by Nytrozilla