Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

Hi Joe, I had on a 33 Willys build last year issues with the front of the styrene frame with metal attached to the small skinny styrene frame rails.  I changed it out several times.  I like your method with metal both sides and bolting through the rails.  Looks good!

Ray, Bob & Nikko, thanx for the nice wordage.

Hi Joe, I had on a 33 Willys build last year issues with the front of the styrene frame with metal attached to the small skinny styrene frame rails.  I changed it out several times.  I like your method with metal both sides and bolting through the rails.  Looks good!

As they say, necessity is somebody's mother. The fun part was making 4 identical brackets.

I'm working on the front axle and spindles. Pics soon.

This is nuts!!! Member Avatar  Keep the good work coming Joe!!

Thanx Joe, you're right. It is nuts!!!

I'm poking my head in to let y'all know I am working on the front axle and spindles. I'm on my fourth different design and praying that Zap-A-Gap 2 is everything it's cracked up to be, MICHAEL!!!. Hope it works on a load bearing joint.

I'll have pics as soon as I have a final setup. 

Hi Guys. I'm still working on it. Sad news to report though. I've tried Gorilla CA, Loctite, and Z-A-G. Too bad none of them worked. It took next to zero pressure to pop the connection.

I went out this morning and picked up some JB Weld, which I've been wanting to try. I'll let you know the results later, but I'm also going to pin the connection. In other words, I'll be using a larger diameter tube for the spindle bolt, but I'm going to drill a hole in the side of the spindle tube and literally insert a pin through the inside that will insert into the axle. I've already checked to make sure the spindle bolt clears the pin head inside the tube.

Pictures will help better than I can explain.

Wish me luck..................................where's that stupid mailman?

Edited by Nytrozilla

Ah come on Joe (you can always change your name). I've always wanted to say that.

Make sure your Z-A-G is fresh. Old stuff just doesn't hold nearly as well. And you're right, pictures will help better explain what you're trying to use words for.

Mailman won't probably be delivering your stuff until tomorrow at the earliest.

Edited by gasser59

I'd like to see a pic of the joint or connection that z-a-g didn't hold.

Joe, I lied.  My whole Fiat was not soldered but Zapped big time.  Maybe though, I could be mistaken, and my stuff was a ultra brand new, with a secret formula.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Brad, thanks a lot boy, just the same. I've always wanted to say that.

Thanks Gene & Michael.  I'm including a pic of the Z-A-G I got. There's no expiration or "use by" date on it so I don't know how fresh it is. I sniffed it real hard and now I can't find my navel. LOL

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. This will be the front axle. The tubes with the pins in them are what I'm calling the spindle tube that will have a bolt running through. That's why I called it "load bearing" earlier.

Also here are some preliminary spindle bracket designs. Please keep in mind this is all preliminary, subject to abuse according to the wrath of the builder.

Oh, one last thing Brad. Package received. Now I can honestly tell people if they get help from you, you'll give them sheet. Seriously, THANK YOU TOO MUCH. I'll use the thicker one for the new spindle brackets. NICE!!!!

20151026_154035.thumb.jpg.1eacc5a4d4becf20151026_151846.thumb.jpg.f3194d85597fc720151026_151321.thumb.jpg.048bbd40d7461920151026_153127.thumb.jpg.249a56e9a9b7cd20151026_153316_001.thumb.jpg.22007002a3

That progressing but did you ever see my diagram for how I make my straight axles? If not, its in my Fiat and Walt's Puffer threads. If you need explanations of anything, just let me know. Be thrilled to see you make one of these. Its really not that tough, just has many working parts and time consuming. Let me know if you want me to post it here.

Also, I don't use flat aluminum to make my knuckles, I use rectangular tubing cut to shape. Much stronger and a bit thicker.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Karl. I'll be using the JB on this attempt. I have high hopes. I do have an Evergreen tube inside the axle. That's why the pin is so small.

I do want to point out that in my testing, the Z A G did the best job of holding and I'd feel comfortable using it in this reinforced configuration.

Kicker is CA Accelerator which speeds up the CA dry time. Usually it will set it in seconds.  You put your super glue on the part and add a drop or two of kicker on it and  it sets the super glue.

I've been using a spray kicker. I take it that might be overkill? It evaporates quickly, but is it putting down too much product Chris?

Brad, you're not too late and are you available for adoption? You know where I am. You can move in at your convenience.

Those plans rock. I love the idea of using vinyl tubing.

I'm busy tonite, but I'll be back all over this thang tomorrow armed with the best info my friends can give me. You All Rock!!!!!!!!

Here's the kicker I use.

20151027_125436.thumb.jpg.f8b8140ecba7f0