Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

Looking good Joe.  Anyway, only Chevies can sit side by side.  lol.

Looks like you don't need a drill press just yet.  Every time though I try some evenly spaced drilling I'm thinking too, better get one.

Can I have the other Hemi?   Those extra slicks lying  back there look good too.

Michael

Could you knock the transmissions off the blocks and run the beel housings into a gear box that you could bring into the center and run that to the diff.??? That way you coukld run both engines...  I couldn't find a photo to show other than this one with twin harley motors. At least it would take away the lenght of the engines and make it to where you could pull offf the twin engines..

Image result for twin engined with single trans gear box

Looking good Joe.  Anyway, only Chevies can sit side by side.  lol.

Looks like you don't need a drill press just yet.  Every time though I try some evenly spaced drilling I'm thinking too, better get one.

Can I have the other Hemi?   Those extra slicks lying  back there look good too.

Michael

No problem Michael, I'll mount them back to front. Inline. HEMI's can do that. On your other questions, no and no. lol

Could you knock the transmissions off the blocks and run the beel housings into a gear box that you could bring into the center and run that to the diff.??? That way you coukld run both engines...  I couldn't find a photo to show other than this one with twin harley motors. At least it would take away the lenght of the engines and make it to where you could pull offf the twin engines..

Thanx Doc. Your pic lead me to the idea of running them inline. I have no clue why I didn't think of it on my own. I do have this model to be finished:

0044.JPG

0045.JPG

0046.JPG

Now there's a lot of Hemis.  Looks like that car might have an altered wheelbase.

I did everything in my power to maintain the stock wheelbase. It was a miserable failure.

Inline would work too!!!!!

Waaaaaaaa!!!!! Still short on room. Got the fix for that too. Going fuel infected instead of super dooper charged. Scratch, of course.......

Edited by Nytrozilla

Gotta like a scratch builder that is willing AND able to execute it as need be.  Injected will look flat out awesome & the tandem solution should be more "realistic" when all is said and done.  For what it's worth, what you've accomplished so far looks pretty sweet and the wheels you've picked will be perfect.  Keep her going Joe.  Cheers, Tim

Gotta like a scratch builder that is willing AND able to execute it as need be.  Injected will look flat out awesome & the tandem solution should be more "realistic" when all is said and done.  For what it's worth, what you've accomplished so far looks pretty sweet and the wheels you've picked will be perfect.  Keep her going Joe.  Cheers, Tim

Hey Tim, I've got "willing" down pat. It's the "execution" part that gives me a rumbly in my tumbly. :D

Sometimes I get "In The Zone" and knock out a bunch of work in one day. This is one of those days. When Dr. Kerry's inspiration sent me in the right direction, everything just kinda' gelled and flowed for the engines.

I thought I was going to scratch the manifolds, then I remembered I had the AMT Double Dragster that I had robbed parts out of and there were a pair of injected manifolds right there. First I had to grind down the blower manifolds, then I modified the new ones slightly and installed the velocity stack pins and hex rod for the fuel rails. Hopefully, aluminum tubing will work for the stacks with a (later) unique air injection system that will mount onto the firewall.

Here's some pics. I hope the picture posting problem gets sorted out soon. I'm gonna run out of allowable forum capacity real quick. I'm using my phone instead of my camera to keep the file size down. Plus I can't post them in the order I want to. I pulled them out of my file one at a time and it swapped the first and second picture positions. Just sayin' in case a Mod is watching. I know we're waiting on an update from Invision. How long has it been now? ;)

Enjoy.

20150827_211058.jpg

20150827_211112.jpg

20150827_211048.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

Bob, there's one I haven't seen before.

Kool kool kool, can't wait to see it come together!!!!!

Dr K, yer right, yer right, yer right.

Joe, like the way you splayed the stacks.  I can see em' with aluminum tubes over them.  Are you going to make them equal length or stagger the height ala the cam-am guys?   Cheers, Tim

I have an idea for the top of the stacks that uses a cover,like the S'COOL BUS, so they'd all have to be the same height. Plus I don't have a way to flare the tips. I got the idea to splay them as I was drilling for the pins. On the other hand, if you can bring me a flaring tool, I'll treat you to a buffet.

vretta01.jpg

We're getting a little closer to basic frame completion. It's been fun getting the wheel wells and the rear length right. By fun, I mean AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

But it's there. Tomorrow I'll sand and attach the rear sub-frame. I also got an idea to attach the rear bumper to the frame, not the body. That took about 2 hours of tweaking the frame and bumper to make that happen, but I believe it will pay off.

The engines have their alignment rods too. I might have to go left hand pilot seat if the V-drive takes too much room. Either way, it will have a funny car type roll cage.

Also when the frame is together, I can get back on the leaf springs.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

20150829_213316.jpg

20150829_213335_001.jpg

20150829_213459.jpg

20150829_214033.jpg

Cool mock-up but Brads comment on the headers gives me pause too.  I thought Henry was tight, but man o' man that is silly tight at the rear tire and frame.  Would up-swept through the roof be an option?  Maybe a "sun" roof right?   And that way you could see the engines too.  Just thinking out loud, sorry.  I'm sure you already have a basket of options so..............never mind.  :blink:   Cheers Joe.

I was thinking the same thing on the headers Brad. Okay, truthfully, I was thinking AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

I think the headers should be solve-able.  Take a look at the shot of the AMT Hemi Under Glass kit from the underside that is in this link http://modelingmadness.com/review/cars/hiotthug.htm  Based on that, you should have enough room. Also, it might make your life easier to have straight frame rails running front to back, instead of the way you have them coming in around the tire, then getting wide again.  With straight, narrower rails it'll be much easier to mount each engine to the rails. 

Lastly, it is hard to tell, but be sure your new frame rails are not too big scale-wise.  If they are too big, it will limit the room you have for useful things like headers!

This whole thing is quite the cool concept!!!!   Chris

Cool mock-up but Brads comment on the headers gives me pause too.  I thought Henry was tight, but man o' man that is silly tight at the rear tire and frame.  Would up-swept through the roof be an option?  Maybe a "sun" roof right?   And that way you could see the engines too.  Just thinking out loud, sorry.  I'm sure you already have a basket of options so..............never mind.  :blink:   Cheers Joe.

I think the headers should be solve-able.  Take a look at the shot of the AMT Hemi Under Glass kit from the underside that is in this link http://modelingmadness.com/review/cars/hiotthug.htm  Based on that, you should have enough room. Also, it might make your life easier to have straight frame rails running front to back, instead of the way you have them coming in around the tire, then getting wide again.  With straight, narrower rails it'll be much easier to mount each engine to the rails. 

Lastly, it is hard to tell, but be sure your new frame rails are not too big scale-wise.  If they are too big, it will limit the room you have for useful things like headers!

This whole thing is quite the cool concept!!!!   Chris

First of all, Thanks Dan for following along. After you read this I think I'm gonna need a lot of support on this one. :D

Now I'll address my thoughts on Tim & Chris' comments on the frame, headers and intake. On the frame, I've never been shy about dumping a preliminary design if it isn't right for the build. First things first, I'll do everything in my "Basket O' Options" to make it work. I know I'm on the right track. Just not sure if there's another train headed straight for me. My main consideration is, bigger is better supporting two engines and with the wagon body it gives it a beefier look. Also, the paint choice can change how "noticeable" the size is.

On the headers, I bought sand today at Home Depot to fill aluminum tubes with for bending purposes. I'll try my bender or a jig, as success dictates. I've also used solder successfully as well. I see the area you're referring to on the HUG Chris and I'll keep that as an option if zoomies don't work. Another possibility to consider is that this is going to be a highboy with leafs front and rear. If the slicks are 3/4 or so under the frame, that might give me more options.

Then there's the intakes. As stated previously, the plan is to add individual scoops to the left and right banks. Not sure yet if the scoop intakes will be mounted above the roof or to the firewall. If I have to move the pilot's chair to the left instead of center, firewall intakes don't make sense. I like symmetrical. I also have the option of sending them through the roof a la Boot Hill Express.

Another consideration is, If zoomies through the roof works, then I might do the intakes as well. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't want to see 32 pipes sticking up in the air. Awwwwww maaaaaan!!!!! That means I'll have to flare the intakes!!! It also means, on each engine, each pair of center intakes will have to be bent or they will cross each other due to the stagger I set up.

I've also said this numerous times. I would love to think that I am in control of how my builds come out. I'm not. It's like the cat or dog thinking, " It's nice to have a pet human." My builds have always taken on a life of their own. I provide the basic concept and materials; after that, it's out of my hands, so to speak.

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME !!!!!!! (A manly hug ensues)