Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Starliner Street Machine

StevenGuthmiller

Well, I finally made it!

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I am particularly proud of this build. Not because it's a great job, but just because it's a little out of my "realm".

I have built mild customs, street rods, etc. in the past, but I just feel that most of the cars from the mid fifties to the early 60s look better left alone, & that's mostly what I build.

The '61 Ford is one of those exceptions in my opinion.

In my eye, it just lends itself to be hot rodded a little, unlike most other cars from that era.

As you probably know, this was built as a loose interpretation to the '61 Starliner at the end of the movie Hollywood Nights.

Most of the externals were kept pretty close to that car, but I did take some liberty with the interior to add some color.

Here's a partial list of the mods I did on this build:

The front chassis screw posts were eliminated & the radiator support was reworked, as well as the addition of a hood latch plate to add some realism under the hood.

The incorrect front fender scripts & faint trunk scripts were removed, & a PE piece replaces the trunk script.

The head light buckets were hollowed out & clear lenses were added, As well as a revamping of the tail lights. I used the Galaxie custom bezels & added scratch made back up lights made from clear sprue & foil.

The interior is pretty much the original article with an added parts box steering wheel & dash mounted gauge cluster. I also flocked the carpet & added a few small scratch made parts.

The engine is from the Amt '62 T-Bird kit & is pretty much built straight from the box with added wiring & plumbing.

The body was shot in 1959 GM "Shadow Gray" & 5 coats of Duplicolor clear.

I also added a scratch built antenna, exhaust tips & a home cast resin mirror & lightly tinted the glass.

I want to give a shout out to "gtx6970", Bill Alphin for providing the beautiful slotted mags that I absolutely had to have to make this build look some what "authentic".

Thanks again Bill!!

So, here it is. All comments & criticisms are welcome.

Steve

2v2UJTUrGxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJT9CWxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJT9YFxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJTUPyxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJT9DnxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJT9KqxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJTuudxwUbWP.jpg2v2UJTuLqxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

At first i thought you were showing pics of your 1:1 car ? that's how good it looks out standing work on the interior and the wheels with the white walls really pop on the subject 

Really Nice ???

Don aka XJ6 ? 

Looks Killer. 

Now your car is my new background photo. 

Boy!

That's quite an honor Andy!

Not quite sure I know what to say.

But I appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Steve

Absolutely fabulous from what I can see, but for some reason all your photos are "squashed" side to side, making the model look short and stumpy, This is how your photos look on my screen..

galaie_zpsovfn5iod.jpg

Am I the only one having this problem?

That does look a little goofy Harry!

The photos look good on my screen, but the photo you posted does definitely look squashed.

Either it's your computer or it may have something to do with the way we have to post photos since the new layout started.

I posted from Photobucket, but I used the "copy & paste" method.

I've heard other members say that their photos come out looking squashed doing it that way.

Looks good on my end though.

Steve

Simply stunning! I wish the resin build I'm doing would look as nice, but I already know it won't. And I wouldn't say that's out of your realm, one bit. That's a gorgeous model, and that's what you always end up with. ;)

I'm betting your Starliner will come out looking very nice!

We'll have us a little Starliner "cruise" when you're finished! :)

I look forward to seeing it!

Steve

Steve, it's a beauty... but I don't think you mentioned what you started with... It's obviously not AMT's 1960 Starliner... so, it must be a resin body... right?

Absolutely fabulous from what I can see, but for some reason all your photos are "squashed" side to side, making the model look short and stumpy, This is how your photos look on my screen..

I'm thinking it could be the resolution your monitor is set to. Try some other settings and see if the photos don't get unsquashed. It could also be that Photobucket is sending the uncompressed photos to your screen, and they're getting squashed so that they fit the size of the window that's running the MCM website...

Edited by fseva

Steve, it's a beauty... but I don't think you mentioned what you started with... It's obviously not AMT's 1960 Starliner... so, it must be a resin body... right?

I'm thinking it could be the resolution your monitor is set to. Try some other settings and see if the photos don't get unsquashed. It could also be that Photobucket is sending the uncompressed photos to your screen, and they're getting squashed so that they fit the size of the window that's running the MCM website...

Thanks Frank!

No, it's not a resin.

It's an original AMT annual that I picked up on ebay.

They're pretty rare, but they do pop up on occasion.

Here's a before pic & a shot of the original box.

photo DSCN3271_zps1va5uohe.jpg photo DSCN4407_zpsfoyhszeb.jpg

Steve