Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
charliechaindrive

monogram black widow kitbash custom

Recommended Posts

 I picked up this monogram black widow for 15$ at Wal-Mart, and I have decided to make a few changes.

 I took 3/4ths of an inch out of the box to get the look I was after

 Here's the look I'm going for with this.  Dark green, high boy, black frame, and red interior.  I will be giving a chance at finding some rims that'll fit the kits tires, and smaller moon hubcaps.

FB_IMG_1438543556739.jpg

20150731_202840.jpg

20150807_101117.jpg

I trimmed the box up and put a little filler into the seam. Then after two coats of primer with some wet sanding, I added the color.   Krylon gloss hunter green, no further polishing yet or clear coat but that is in the agenda after I get the motor and trans fit.   I'm planning on putting an ardun headed flattie in here out of the revell '50 ford pickup. Also my plan is to get a rear axle and leaf springs from a different kit to put under the rear of it to add that much more detail. Plus a drive shaft as well.  I'm going to be working on the ardun tonight more, and I'll post more pictures. My computer is not cooperating with me whatsoever, so I'm sorry about the haphazard locations of the images.

Edited by charliechaindrive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. Hunter Green is a great color for this.                                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small updates.  I trimmed a quarter inch from the height of the windsheild frame, and set the body onto the frame with some rubber bands 

I put tape over the moon discs so i didn't bugger them up with glue. 

I decided to do some detail work to the kits OE motor too.  I didn't like the suplied six pack of carbs it came with, so with a little digging in the parts box, i found a high rise tunnel ram and a set of dual quads & mailbox scoop. 

I'll save this motor for a different project, because the ardun will go in here.  Or if anyone has a standard ford flathead or a lincoln v12 flatty they'd wish to part with, I'm willing to trade. 

I'll post some pics of the ardun soon.  I'm building the trans support now, and I'm going to utilize the stock front motor mounts.  The neat thing is, where I've got the motor set now, the stock front motor mounts line up fairly close to where  a real flathead ford's front motor mounts are.. Happy accidents!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this neat little lazy Susan at a garage sale for 50 cents, it fits on my work bench very nicely.

20150818_122631.jpg

Here are a few pictures of how the ardun is coming along.

20150818_124857.jpg

20150818_130300.jpg

 I used a popsicle stick to align the carbs

20150818_130311.jpg

I also stuck some decals on the body.  I am very happy with how this kit is going together!

20150818_152833.jpg

20150818_152826.jpg

Now a quick mock up with the motor in it, looks fair enough to proceed.

20150818_153717.jpg

Then I got out my little magnifying stand and started putting the dash cluster in. My dad bought me This thing about 8 years ago and it's came in so handy

20150818_150117.jpg

It has a fairly powerful lense too, which makes this a breeze

20150818_150124.jpg

20150818_145237.jpg

20150818_150108.jpg

I'm in the process of building the transmission hump right now to clear the ardun, and once I get that made and installed, I need to build a radiator mount, hose routing, figure out where to mount the headlights, trim the windshield to fit the shortened frame, then it's down to clear coating the body and frame, then polish and final assembly.  

Edited by charliechaindrive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pics of how I scratched up the transmission tunnel.  A trick I use for this is the plastic lids from spray paint cans, first I make a paper pattern

20150818_160602.jpg

Then I use the pattern to cut the part a little oversize from the paint can lid

20150818_161037.jpg

Then I slowly heat the plastic over a candle and form it around my xacto knife handle, which usually is about the perfect radius.  Then with a little sanding, and careful whittling I get this.

20150818_162317.jpg

20150819_220735.jpg

I'm going to have to rebuild a gas pedal for it, or I might move all the pedals over a hair to fit them.  But the tunnel fits in nice and will blend right in with some sanding and paint.

20150819_221058.jpg

 

Edited by charliechaindrive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking work! I have the same kit, always wondered what I should do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics are uploading, i got the body clear coated and New motor mounts built, headers and water pump painted on the ardun, and a few other small odds and ends done.   I need a pulley system for the ardun, and I'm considering scratch building it, but i might just go over to the wanted section and post looking for one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...