Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see your scratch built trailers

I've made two 'scratchbuilt' trailers that we here in the UK call Caravans.

The first is a resin shell imported from the states, with gas tanks etc. so I made the floor, tow bar, with stand and jockey wheel, and found wheels from my spares box. I taped the finish with plumbers tape.

45.JPG

The Teardrop is just treadplate and smooth plasticard plus a plastic rod frame and tow bar, spares box aircraft front whell and rear wheels and draughtmans coloured pins for the lights and an odd bit of wire etc for the power connection to the tow vehicle.

SAM_8544.JPG

SAM_8543.JPG

Edited by PatW

Here are the ones I have finished. The orange one was patterned from a picture of the one that came with the AMT 63 Nova.The red and white one was going to be a teardrop cargo trailer and the one in front is a regular teardrop camper. The purple one's body came from the 38? Ford by Monogram so it is only partially scratch built.

modelpic3.jpg

modelpic1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your trailers are very nice Gary. I especially like the teardrops. I have a soft spot for these little caravans as we also call them in Australia. Your Chev tow vehicle reminds me of our 60-62 Holden station wagons, only ours were all 4 doors except for specially built ambulances.

Regards,

RHB.

I have built a couple, one being 1/32 scale camper teardrop style. The other is a general utility trailer filled with dirt and a couple of shovels made from toothpicks and blades from the material on the top of a wine bottle. My third attempt is another teardrop, only in 1/25 scale. No interior detail, just curtains covering the windows.

20140802_081150.jpg

20140717_105740.jpg

20140824_122609.jpg

Here's a trailer I built from styrene sheet and channel, and weathered a bit. It's on a diorama set in the 1950's, and represents a trailer someone built in maybe the 1930's for farm use. The diorama is of people moving in to the Grange Fair in my home town of Centre Hall, PA. The fair is a 141 year tradition. There are 1,000 of these 14'x14' tents on the grounds, and folks live in them for 10 days each year. It is believed to be the only remaining tent fair in the USA.  

100_7732x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I started this car hauler awhile back, and have set it aside for a bit. It will hold four cars. I have a ton of work to do on it, suspension, sides, hydraulics, etc..but its a start. Not as nice as some of the other here, but it should look good when Im done. I plan on making the flat portion rise up now. I didnt think about it when I started, but it will have to to allow a car to roll over it. The tongue will also tilt, allowing the car underneath to be unloaded. It is a triple axle. 

CAM00214.jpg

CAM00215.jpg

CAM00222.jpg

Edited by drummerdad

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Old thread, but I put these here. Scratch built caravan trailers, 1:25. First one is a rwplica of my 1:1 "Kopara" the name means the reindeers foot. 2010 T@b 320 OffRoad. 

The second one is spotted from a youtube advertisement filmed ca. 1974, Gooseneck hitched to VW 1303S 

IMG_20200218_025458.jpg

IMG_20200218_025412.jpg

IMG_20190521_210419.jpg

IMG_20190521_204727.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2