Model Cars Magazine Forum

First time ever-please help!

Missusedamame

Ok, so I know you guys are all pros and I'm totally new to all this, but I want to do it right.

So here's the plan:

My son LOVES trains and has a lot of battery-operated trains (Mattel TrackMaster Thomas the Train). We have several duplicates and I would like to be able to repaint a few as different characters to add some variety to the tracks, and one of his favorite characters isn't available.

Using my (very limited) knowledge of this kind of thing, I used nail polish remover on a train (pictures below), which just resulted n the paint/ink smudging, and getting rid of some of the gloss. What paint stripper/thinner/remover would you suggest and what type or brand of paint would you recommend when I start the repainting process? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

I believe the funnel piece is molded in black plastic and the blue body is molded blue with red, yellow and black accents printed on. You should be able to take it apart carefully and detail paint it the way you want and put it back together with little to no problems. Good luck with your/sons trains. Keep us posted.

A friends kid is into Thomas as well. Asked him if I could look at them. He pulled them all out for me. The Gordon I looked over had 4 philips head screws, if removed it there are small parts ready to spill all over. (again take pics) It was at the point that the children watching became concerned, so I put Gordon back together. From what I have seen the toy has some nice strait lines and if you only want to redo the body you could, tape off wheel area and the start lever at the top, spray primer and paint then detail as wanted. I use krylon or rustoleum, paint and primer in ONE! 

My mother used to do things like this for us, I learned so much watching her. She always told us to respect thing for what they are and to see thing for all that they can be.

Jonathan

Edited by GrumpyGrowly

So is this a Thomas The Tank forum now?? Just wondering.... 

I'm sure this should be under "all the rest".  I belive it will get the most attention here and receive the most help. As it's Missusedamame first and second post I'd hope we all could be a little understanding. I'm sure that when a MOD reads it, they will move it if they want to.

Edited by GrumpyGrowly

Oops, is this not the right place to be posting? Sorry, let me know where the best place to continue would be. 

Anyway, I know you're all on tenterhooks to see my progress, I've taken cobraman's advice and just covered the top chassis with primer. It took a few coats, but made it a lot easier to start on the new colors.

like I've said before, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I went to my local hobby store and bought some Testors gloss enamel in the aisle with all the model supplies. My only current problem is that I don't know what to use to clean the paint out of my brushes. I've included some pictures of my progress- I'm trying to turn a Thomas the Train into Gertrude Crampton's Tootle. (The blue is a little more "robin's egg" than sky blue, but I'm not going to let it bug me) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For Testors enamels, plain old paint thinner works great for your brushes. 

Just dunk it, swizzle it around, dry it off, and then, for better cleaning, wash your brushes in warm, soapy water.

For Duck Egg Blue, look for Model Master Duck Egg Green, it's more blue than green.

Charlie Larkin