Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junkyard Plymouth (Monogram 71' Satellite)

LMDAVE

Hi guys, been a while since I've been on site. I've got the bug to start building again, but I wanted to concentrate on something new. Weathering and Rust. So, I decided to take my left over Monogram 71' Satellite (That I bought just for the hood for my Road Runner) and make it a junkyard card.

I'm doing this on the fly. I haven't planned out how far I'm going with it (broken glass, flat tires, etc...) and literally just learn how to rust yesterday from watching videos. I tried the salt method. It was how the body turns out to decide if I'm going to continue. So, here is where I am now, and any critiques or comments on rusting I'd appreciate.

Paint the black body rust color primer and washed it up with some lighter rust and black

411563750.jpg

Applied the salt to the water spots I made, could have broken the salt smaller I know.

411563755.jpg

And here is where I am now

411563747.jpg

411563748.jpg

411563749.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Thanks. Yeah Mike, I tried to duplicate what I saw from some junk yard  Satellites with the rust.

Decided to jump ahead and try a old flat tire. I'm going to have to sand the threads down a little more.

411564290.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

haha, maybe I did see you car if it's looking like yours.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that foam also. At first I thought I could just do a color, but then thought about adding flocking. I only had  some light brown flock.

SO, I paint the area I want foam yellow, then push the brown flocking over it. Then came back with the yellow after dipping the brush in thin and let it soak in the brown, came out the perfect color. I then took a piece of white medical cloth tape and cut a little triangle and glued it next to the head foam. I painted on side of it black and left the interior side white.  SO, the little trial turned out to be just right.

Thanks Mike.

Continuing on with playing around with ruining things. Here's a bucket seat. I was really please with how the idea I had for the foam came out. Need to clean up some of the fuzz.

411569142.jpg

Dude!!!! This alone would be enough to justify why I came here to this forum!! Holee Schmokes!!!! Thanks for taking the time to explain how you did it as well. Good Grief this is good stuff!!!!

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks for the nice comment guys, I'm really happy the way the seats came out but hope I can live up to that quality on the rest.

Moving on the the engine compartment, I wanted to show the engine in a partially stripped manner, and of course worn down also. So I shaved part of the molded engine to look like one of the heads were gone, but didn't drill the piston holes evenly...lol I have to as the first off set piston chambers...it still gives the same effect.

And I focused on the battery. I decide to use the flocking method I did on the foam for seat for corrosion on the terminals.

Still have a lot to do in the compartment, so ignore the other areas.

Edited by LMDAVE

Thanks Lanny, those are all good idea!

I decided I'm going to make a diorama out of this, first time, so I was working on a scaled 6' fence (made out of basswood) around the old yard it would be in.

411573791.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jumping around on this model. There arent many pieces, but leave room for detailing nicely still with this junk car. Decided to finish up most of the interior this weekend. I didn't over do it with mass-destruction in the interior.

• 2 months later...