Model Cars Magazine Forum

4x4 Conv. for AMT's '92-'96 F-150 XLT kit??

Hey All,

Was wondering if there was a 4x4 conversion for AMT's 1992-1996 Ford F-150 XLT truck kit?? The truck I need to replicate is a factory '94 F-150 XL 4x4 (I have a '93 F-350 4x4 w/3" lift to do as well, but that's another story). It doesn't need to be 100% accurate, as few people will be turning it over to have a look see. It's mostly to get the right ride height, and the look of the bits that hang down that you can see from the side.

I looked through the rest of my kits that I thought might provide the donor parts, but couldn't seem to find what I needed. I need more than one set as well, as I will need to build at least 6 trucks -- As the truck stands now (rusted out bits), the mods she will make sooner than later (at least bigger tires and fender flares to cover the rusted out bits), and then her dream truck (w/ at least bigger flares/tires and NO rusted out bits) - all times 2 (one for her, one for me).

Is there a resin conversion set out there, or a list of donor kits that would work?? Thanks guys.

Edited by Johnnycrash

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

Well, it's been over a year. Projects seem to get pushed aside. Sucks. Anyways...

I went to Calnaiga Resin, and they don't seem to have what I am looking for. I know that the old MPC Dust Devil kit is a 4x4, but I can't tell if it has the twin I-Beam suspension or a solid axle. I need the Twin I-Beam.

Longbox55, you said the latest AMT Bronco would have it, but I can't seem to find ANY images of the sprues or underside of the kit. Does anyone have pics??

Better yet, does anyone have parts I can trade for/buy/borrow??

This is the front axle out of the Revell/Monogram 80 to 86 Bronco with a late 90s AMT F150 frame. 

As for the "Dust Devil", though I don't know for sure because I do not have that kit, but it SHOULD have the same front axle as the Revell/Monogram Bronco as it also represents an 80 to 86 Bronco. 

Also, for your F350, if it has the weaker Dana 50 I Beam front axle, an axle from a Bronco may visually look close. If it has the Dana 60 monobeam live axle, then you will need a Dana 60 center from a rear axle and make the axle tubes yourself, as I'm going to do for my build of my 90 F350. 

Thanks highway. Too bad that that isn't even close. Well, in over-all configuration maybe. :(

The transfer case seems to be a Borgs Wagner 1356 (BW1356). Calnaga Castings does have a generic BW case. I think that will do for these builds.

This is what it should look like. Note that those radius arms are after market, and the beams have been reinforced (the welded on bits):

57e372f47b693_S5035164.jpgoriginal.thumb

And when it's stock, and in the truck.

57e3738ddf0e1_1202or-071994-ford-explore

And the trucks I am trying to replicate.

1994 F150

100_5455-Smaller.thumb.jpg.e91a34b001c52100_5454-Smaller.thumb.jpg.fabc1fe70ad60100_5452-Smaller.thumb.jpg.48930d88fff9e100_5453-Smaller.thumb.jpg.00b431d203144100_5451-Smaller.thumb.jpg.aea9acfa3e9c7

1993 F350

100_4218-Smaller.thumb.jpg.ba9867aa8b3cb100_4312-Smaller.thumb.jpg.91e1504508059100_4217-Smaller.thumb.jpg.14a4de7bd4544100_4314-Smaller.thumb.jpg.0edc6c13091e0

100_4313-Smaller.jpg

I would suggest the AMT Bronco since it's the correct scale, and I think it is better than the Monogram front end since it is multiple pieces rather than just one piece.

I would, maybe, if I knew what it looked like. That's the problem.

Also, that gen F-150 started in '92, not '91.

I knew that. That's just a typo. Oops.

Seventh generation (1980 – 1986)

Eighth generation (1987 – 1991) +(1992 - 1997 on certain models - Chassis Cabs)

Ninth generation (1992 – 1996) + (1997 - 1998 on certain models - F250HD/F350)

And then they got real ugly. Like someone left them put in the sun too long.

Seventh generation (1980 – 1986)

Eighth generation (1987 – 1991) +(1992 - 1997 on certain models - Chassis Cabs)

Ninth generation (1992 – 1996) + (1997 - 1998 on certain models - F250HD/F350)

And then they got real ugly. Like someone left them put in the sun too long.

I don't really understand why you are calling them all different generations, nothing really changed on the F Series from 80 to 96 except for them getting facelifts, the basics stayed the same. 

The changes were significant enough to break them down into different generations. Just do a search online.

Sure thing, because everything online is true! :lol:

I'm sorry, but I don't consider facelifts and some interior changes significant enough that it makes them different generations, especially when I could use any body or interior parts in my 1:1 from the 16 year time span.  

There were small, yet significant changes with the facelifts. So yes, in this case what you find online in official Ford brochures and articles is true :rolleyes:

As for the facelifts themselves, well it seems that there are those that consider them to be worthy of different generational designations and those that don't. I think we can respectfully agree to disagree on that one since there doesn't appear to be any official documentation from Ford to clear that question up ;)

I will have to look, but I believe the Lindberg late 90's F-150 4X4 kit has the twin I-beam suspension you are looking for.  It is the kit with the awful bluish-purple truck on the cover, Ollie's (if you have one close) usually has a few of them on the shelves.

Just went to the basement and the Lindberg version has a solid looking axle with what appears to be CV joints about half way between the hogshead and the brake drums.  Still may work.

Edited by TarheelRick

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, no Ollies. In fact, there is NOTHING near me. Gotta mail-order everything. Including superglue.

Anyone know where I can get the AMT iHobby Bronco for less than a month's wages?? I should put a post in for a trade, got plenty of cra... Uh... Kits. Kits to trade. :D

Pinecrest Resin?? A link perhaps?? Those are always useful you know. ;)

I will have to look, but I believe the Lindberg late 90's F-150 4X4 kit has the twin I-beam suspension you are looking for.  It is the kit with the awful bluish-purple truck on the cover, Ollie's (if you have one close) usually has a few of them on the shelves.

Just went to the basement and the Lindberg version has a solid looking axle with what appears to be CV joints about half way between the hogshead and the brake drums.  Still may work.

The Lindberg F-150 is a '97, and does not have a TTB front end. '97 was the first year for the torsion bar IFS for Ford, and was only used on 1/2 tons.

Sorry, no Ollies. In fact, there is NOTHING near me. Gotta mail-order everything. Including superglue.

Anyone know where I can get the AMT iHobby Bronco for less than a month's wages?? I should put a post in for a trade, got plenty of cra... Uh... Kits. Kits to trade. :D

Pinecrest Resin?? A link perhaps?? Those are always useful you know. ;)

Let me do some digging tomorrow, I have some of the MPC Bronco monster truck kits that might still have some of the stock parts in the kit.

pinecrest has gone out i have been looking to see who got the molds  for I was thinking of redoing it but would like to ask before i do

Thanks. So much for that then. Oh well.

The open Bronco kit I have doesn't have any stock suspension parts in it.

Thanks for checking. So much for that then. Oh well.

Anyone know a cheap source for the iHobby AMT Bronco?? All the eBay ones run $40.00 USD + S&H. That's a bit steep in my mind.

Willing to trade for one too.

• 2 weeks later...

The 97 F150 and F250  of that body style had the same style IFS as GM trucks and suv's of the late 80's and 90's. I used to drive a 97 F250 for work that had this setup and 7 lug wheels.