Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '36 Ford coupe hot rod

JTalmage

Working on my new project now. It's the recent round 2 release of AMT's '36 Ford multi-top kit. I wish a chopped 5 window roof was available but this 3 window will do. 

I will be going with the chrome reverse wheels and whitewalls. I am thinking this will be the one I finally paint honduras maroon and flat clear. Can't decide on 1 spotlight or 2 also. 

I noticed while putting the top on it that the drivers side part of the cowl on the body didnt line up w/ the cowl on the roof section. I didnt like that. I also noticed that when you glue the roof on that the beltline looked sucked in. I didnt like that either. 

So first thing first I glued the roof on after some filing and tweaking and got it to where it was as good as I could get it. I did this in order to keep the firewall in place for the next step. Next I sliced the firewall from the body and stuffed some .020 evergreen strips between the body and the firewall and made the belt line look a lot better with the roof sitting on it. 

Next I filed down the front of the body cowl area that didnt line up with the roof cowl area on both sides (drivers side was way worse) 

So since I had to take away from the body, I had to add to the hood sides. Filed that down and it looks pretty good...

But last time I built the 5 window unchopped coupe as a kid I remember not being able to take the hoodsides off with the hood... because of how they fit together... can I glue the hood sides to the hood and still get everything off once its built? for perhaps if I'm at a show and want to remove the hood?

Your going through the same things I faced when I built the one to the left. Before I decided on going with the roadster version, that piece didn't fit either, I played with the chop top. I had a roof section from the original release & it fit a lot better. I think the molds are worn out. I think I spent two days with the Dremel, files & paper cleaning up the bottom of the fenders. I ended up gluing sheets of Plastruc to the outside of the body trying to even things out. Watch the interior side walls, one side is thicker than the other. Might not be noticeable on the coupe but definitely is on the roadster. More heavy sanding.

I enjoy building these reissues of these old kits but don't like paying the new money for them.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally forgot I hadn't updated this thread.. whoops.

I painted the body in model masters Honduras Maroon... which is a beautiful color itself when wet or gloss cleared. But I wanted something a little different. So I decided to hit it with some flat clear. So its a matte red metallic which has a neat effect to it. I've been busy with my real 1:1 cars lately so I havent had a lot of time at the bench with this thing, but I also painted the flathead in it's original flat green, and a friend of mine has some finned heads, and triple carb intake for it he's sending me. So here is where it stands so far.

I hope it sits this low when done. I dig it.

Added some pinstripes to the backside. Leftover from my '32 Ford I finished recently.

Also added some small iron crosses behind the front wheel openings just to make the car look less blank, but not in your face either.

And finally for this update, some BMF around the front window. Messed up a little bit and got a crease in the bottom section but oh well. 

Once I figure out how to run the plug wires for a flathead (I'm not that familiar with them) then I think the engine will be done as soon as I get the heads and intake.

Love the color and effect. I'm not usually a suede-paint fan, but this color is so good...I just bought one of the new issues to get a set of those chrome-reverse rims too. They really set off your color here. A clean, custom look, not too gaudy.

thanks Bill, thats exactly what I was going for. Hopefully it turns out the same way when its done! LOL And I agree on the suede paint. I could take it or leave it but for some reason this one was begging to be suede-a-fied

I also enjoy the new projects you have going on as well!