Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why go to all the trouble of a nostalgia look and leave the Edelbrock sticker on the carb ?

This is a picture I took a couple of weeks ago at a local car show and posted on another forum. I'm sure I can find a way to give the armchair quarterbacks here a chance to talk to the owner so they can spell out clearly what's wrong and tell him not to do it again :rolleyes:  :lol:

...not that I don't agree with having a cohesive package, but if a guy wants a dependable road-going vehicle compromises may be needed. Lots of good points raised here starting with Greg's, but the owner's happy with it and I'm sure not going to whiz on his parade...

mike

So... Have you never, in your whole life, looked at something (anything) and thought to yourself that if it was yours you would have done things different? If you say no I'd find that incredibly hard to believe. That's all we're doing here, just having a discussion. Nobody has suggested we make a list of corrections and submit it to the owner and insist he comply. Everyone is entitled to their opinion 

As far as dependable, there's absolutely nothing less dependable about a properly restored factory GM ignition over an MSD system. In fact, I'd argue that the factory parts are more dependable. Especially if you have a failure on the road and need a quick repair. Your local auto parts store is not going to carry in-stock a new magnetic pickup or cap & rotor for your MSD distributor or a new 6-series ignition box needed to run said distributor. You do, however, have a really strong chance that they will have new points, condenser, cap and rotor for your factory distributor.

Any room here for the possibility that maybe he's going for the look he likes and not necessarily trying to please everyone ?   :huh:

mike

You have some radical thoughts there, Mike.  I like that.  I like to think that those of us who do appreciate cars do so as not just mechanical devices used (primarily) for transportation, but also as works of art.  "Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder".  Then again, maybe the builder just forgot to remove the sticker.  Stuff like that does happen in real life.  Should it really matter?

Apparently, to some it does. That's what makes these discussions so interesting. A note to the literalists here: my qb comment was made in jest. Of course I've looked at cars and thought of different ways things could have been done. As this particular Buick mill and it's accompanying body was not presented as an exact window in time but as a dependable classic rod, I don't think there's any reason to belittle him for his choices.

mike