Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slump Buster's

In this hobby occasionally we all encounter builders block or a slump.. Sometimes we push through it or pull a project off the shelf and try to get the creative juices flowing.

Or do you keep a few simple kits around for just such an occasion?

I bought this at a show for $10 and keep for a just in case build...

How do you bust a slump?55cdeab41b8e1__57.thumb.JPG.7db069ad9eba

personally...I sit down at my work bench and work on something. that's how I get things done. one thing I DON'T do is spend an inordinate amount of time staring at a computer screen.

jb

hahaha..................  oh jb ......you make me laugh

but seriously

When I hit a slump, I like to pull out a new kit and super detail the engine...it could sit back in the box for a while,..... but it's done.

Edited by Belugawrx

I build a simple old monogram 70s/80s muscle car. Low parts count, not super detailed, and easy to build. I don't wire the distributor or go crazy with detailing. Just nice paint and interior, and maybe even some BMF. But thats about it.

that seems to get me back in the mood to go at it.

yeah I make you laugh, and I get models built. as in finished built. seems like a rare commodity around here.

jb

Yes Sir, long be for Nike said it my Father and Mother would look deep into you and say " Just do it " also a Navy phrase.  That is how I got where I am, never say no to job others dislike or won't do. Top trees, dig out septic systems, tan a hide, tare out 40 years of ivy, replace fog lamps on cell and radio towers, ect.  Get the job done, do it right the first time and take pride in your work. I was once known as JD - Jonny dangerous. 

Also some good Jamaican yardy music helps.

Jonathan

For me, my slumps occur when I run out of steam on my current projects for a variety of reasons.  If I stick to my guns and say I won't do anything else until I finish them, it's like telling a toddler he can't leave the table until he eats his vegetables!  Stalemate!  Everything just sits still!

I get going one of two ways.   First way is to clean the model room!  (And getting the gumption to do that sometimes is the same as trying to pick up one of the stalled projects!)  I will clear off the bench, put all the projects in their own boxes and tools where they belong.  Clean the room of plastic dust.  Once it's all done, I usually pick one of the unfinished projects... over 50 to choose from,  and concentrate on just one thing.

The other way is when I get fixated on an idea.  Often I'll shut that off,  worrying about the fact that I already have enough unfinished projects.  But when the voices get going... well, sometimes I have to listen!  If I start one of those new projects, often the enthusiasm will keep me going for awhile!

Slumps yea sure I myself go thru em I need not to worry I currently only have oh 3-4hrs left on my Citroen 2CV to get it done and yes me have been in that so called Slump but hey that's fine Part of the Hobby after all it's just a hobby meant to be relaxing enjoyed when the time presents itself I know the plastic addiction will get me and soon I finish my little 2CV and Behold start on another ??

Thanks for letting me share ?

Don aka XJ6 ?

If I do get in a slump...which is rare to be honest, Ill pick up an easy kit say an old AMT wire axle job and have fun building that without going overboard on the detail etc, or Ill just put the 1/25 stuff down and concentrate back on my 1/76 scale trucks, I very rarely get bored ! Lol

well, it doesn't help that those of us with a diecast kit of the subject were poo pooed.

I can't speak for Ace, but when you first asked that I was thinking you meant a built 1:18 type diecast. I have an old Jeep CJ7 diecast kit that pretty much builds like a plastic kit. It just hit me what you meant. Maybe he'll rethink that if he was under the same impression as I was. I think it sounds fun and the more the merrier. 

I think I just bought a "slump buster" found this at Walmart for $15. I know its kind of a beginners kit but I can be a quick build or I can try and change it up some. And its Plum Crazy Purple. To bad I will most likely paint it 64 Vette Flame Red and put some General Lee stuff on it.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Jon Haigwood

well, it doesn't help that those of us with a diecast kit of the subject were poo pooed.

.....why don't you build a diecast one regardless, and let the rest that want to build a real, plastic model car, as I suggested we do...oh, as for the poo pooed you refer to, well, using a diecast instead of a real kit,,,,that pretty much sums that up....:lol:

I've found a lot of joy in the past month of making display bases. Take a chunk of wood leftover from some project, about 8 inches long and 4-5 inches wide. Spray with brown, then green, sprinkle sawdust on it and blow off the excess, some embossing powder here and there, more green, then a little light overspray of brown again. Add some small chopped twigs (small pine branches work well) scattered around, then liberally coat with dullcote. Set it somewhere moderately warm to dry, and it should be ready for a vehicle in a couple hours. I've made five this way in the past two days.

The other thing I've started doing just today is going for way-out decisions. Take for example the Chevy Van from Revell I've had 80% done for the past month. I'm going curbside with it, but I wanted some interior detail. I got waylaid on how to paint the interior so I shoved it aside. Just tonight, I looked at it on the shelf. "The interior would be pretty weird in orange on that," I thought to myself. Instead of debating on it any further, I immediately took the interior downstairs and sprayed it orange. Not only is it amusing, but I'm going to have the thing done in the next two days because of a snap decision and the "who-cares" attitude.